2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another poster said some starting value related to purchase cost, then less usage. Car life was called 120k miles.

IIRC GM tried something similar when they were offering buyback during the burning battery debacle. They relied on lemon laws in each state.

If this was me, I would tell Nissan to make a better offer unless the $$ was about enough to replace the car with a used, 40 kWh pack car. Lemon laws were envisioned to cover early manufacturing defects when the car mileage was quite low. They REALLY should not be applied to these warranty cases of pack degradation.

My 2016 SV was down enough to trigger the warranty. After 3 months of waiting (and no ETA) I guess the lemon law kicked in, or Nissan decided to lemon law it.

Nissan (eventually, after much back and forth) offered me MSRP + taxes minus the useful life percentage (46K out of 120k) plus all the gas I had to buy while my car was in the shop. I can't complain (much) as it's about the same as the same model (with a 40Kwh battery) is going for used.

Decided to upgrade and I found a good deal on a barely used 2020 SV Plus (with a 95% SOH on the battery, according to Leafspy)

The bad news is I'm out an extra $7K - The good news I now have triple the range.

johnoffen said:
The bad news is I'm out an extra $7K

Actually, less than that. I only paid $13k for the car in the first place, so I'll count getting $16K for it three and a half years later as a "win" :D

johnoffen said:
johnoffen said:
The bad news is I'm out an extra $7K

Actually, less than that. I only paid $13k for the car in the first place, so I'll count getting $16K for it three and a half years later as a "win" :D

I'd be thrilled if I was you. Enjoy the new ride.

If I don't drop my 4th bar by the end of April, I'll be shocked (I'm hovering around 66.25% SOH now). I'd love if Nissan would leverage lemon law for my coming degradation warranty claim as the payment to me would be very favorable. Copy/paste from the state AG page below.

If you are awarded a refund under the terms of the lemon law, the manufacturer must refund:

The full purchase price of the vehicle, or the amount you actually paid on your lease. For either a purchased or leased vehicle, however, a reasonable allowance for the time that you were able to use the vehicle may be deducted. This deduction cannot exceed 10 cents per mile or 10 percent of the purchase price, whichever is less;
The cost of certain options installed by the manufacturer or dealer;
Sales or excise tax;
License fees;
Registration fees;
Reimbursement for towing; and,
Rental expenses.

Note: If you are awarded a replacement vehicle, you have the option of receiving a refund instead.

mn4az said:
If you are awarded a refund under the terms of the lemon law, the manufacturer must refund:
They started me off with an offer of purchase price minus use. Given that you're the original owner, you'll probably avoid the back and forth that I did to eventually get to MSRP - use + fees and my costs.

Start with "what you paid" x (Your miles /120K) and tack on *all the taxes* (both on the original car and the replacement)

I gotta say, after a few days with the Leaf Plus, I'm pretty dang happy. The extra 130+ miles of range (or x 3 what I was down to) really quells the range anxiety.

johnoffen said:
mn4az said:
They started me off with an offer of purchase price minus use. Given that you're the original owner, you'll probably avoid the back and forth that I did to eventually get to MSRP - use + fees and my costs.

Start with "what you paid" x (Your miles /120K) and tack on *all the taxes* (both on the original car and the replacement)

I gotta say, after a few days with the Leaf Plus, I'm pretty dang happy. The extra 130+ miles of range (or x 3 what I was down to) really quells the range anxiety.
You did well!

johnoffen said:
mn4az said:

That formula, while not as good as my state's lemon law, would still work out very well as it'd mean I basically would have gotten back my actual purchase price.

Glad you are enjoying the new ride!

My 2017 lost its first bar at 55k, second bar at 65k and third bar at 75k.
The car was at about 83k and I was hoping to lose my fourth bar soon when the battery started acting up. I'd be travelling down the highway with about 70% battery when when I would get a low battery warning. It said I had 3% battery left and went into turtle mode. Slowed down to a crawl. Then over the course of the next 5 minutes or so, it crept back up to about 60% and power came back. Similar episodes occurred about 3 other times. Took it into the dealer and they told me I have some bad cells and the battery will be replaced under warranty. 4-6 month wait and they gave me a loaner - Nissan Versa that gets about 43 mpg. Not bad. But I prefer my Leaf.
I'm about 6 weeks into my wait.
I keep reading on forums that the 30kwh battery will be replaced with a 40kwh. Can anyone verify this with actual documentation?
I have not been offered a buy-back.

kansas said:
My 2017 lost its first bar at 55k, second bar at 65k and third bar at 75k.
The car was at about 83k and I was hoping to lose my fourth bar soon when the battery started acting up. I'd be travelling down the highway with about 70% battery when when I would get a low battery warning. It said I had 3% battery left and went into turtle mode. Slowed down to a crawl. Then over the course of the next 5 minutes or so, it crept back up to about 60% and power came back. Similar episodes occurred about 3 other times. Took it into the dealer and they told me I have some bad cells and the battery will be replaced under warranty. 4-6 month wait and they gave me a loaner - Nissan Versa that gets about 43 mpg. Not bad. But I prefer my Leaf.
I'm about 6 weeks into my wait.
I keep reading on forums that the 30kwh battery will be replaced with a 40kwh. Can anyone verify this with actual documentation?
I have not been offered a buy-back.

No official documentation from Nissan, but in every forum and social media outlet those that warranty work done on battery are now getting 40s - been that way for quite some time. Recently there's been chatter that 40s aren't being made anymore and buyback is the option. YMMV.

FWIW... what you are experiencing is the same as me. Cold battery + degradation and/or weak cells + load (power needed) = low battery warning. I've chosen to not take it in because I don't want an individual cell(s) replaced. I want the whole pack replaced, or better yet a good buyback via something Nissan comes up with or lemon law.

mn4az said:
Recently there's been chatter that 40s aren't being made anymore and buyback is the option.

I don't see how that can be true since Nissan is still selling new 40 kWh LEAFs.
In the case of 24 kWh packs, the last production run was ~ 5 years after the last year sold new, co-incident with warranty lapse.

It is true that Nissan has been offering buybacks instead of 40 kWh pack warranty repairs.
Only Nissan knows why that is a cheaper / more advantageous solution for them. I imagine it makes the dealerships happy

Here's my post about Nissan Consumer Affairs telling an owner that they were done with 40 packs...

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=630462#p630462

LeftieBiker said:
Nissan dealerships have always pulled ridiculous rumors about the Leaf out of their..service bays, and presented them as facts.

^^ That sounds like a fair summary. Now, if only consumers would stop regurgitating.

My 2017 (52,000-ish miles) is at about 73% SOH, but I've started getting the typical bad-cell "Limited Power" warnings this winter while accelerating uphill. Per Leafspy, no error codes have been thrown, but I screenshotted a 570mv difference between cells when the rapid SOC drop started happening, where it went from 35% SOC to 19% in about a quarter mile. This news about potentially not having 40 kWh packs has me concerned, I was hoping one of those was coming my way even if it meant waiting for six months as the current range handles 90% of our driving needs.

Anyone know if there's anything I could do to get Nissan to currently acknowledge the battery problem (without error code) to start a warranty process?

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
Nissan dealerships have always pulled ridiculous rumors about the Leaf out of their..service bays, and presented them as facts.

^^ That sounds like a fair summary. Now, if only consumers would stop regurgitating.

Unfortunately, this particular bit of information? seems to be coming direct from Nissan. That means that either Nissan Corporate has it wrong, that they are indeed ending production of the 40kwh packs, or that they are replacing a real reason - like just not wanting to give those packs away anymore - with a semi-nonsensical one. I guess that it's case of "Stay tuuned!"

kansas said:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171230-0001.pdf

LeftieBiker said:
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Unfortunately, this particular bit of information? seems to be coming direct from Nissan. That means that either Nissan Corporate has it wrong, that they are indeed ending production of the 40kwh packs, or that they are replacing a real reason - like just not wanting to give those packs away anymore - with a semi-nonsensical one. I guess that it's case of "Stay tuuned!"

Even if all the 40 kWh LEAFs being sold new are from a distant (and last) production run (very, very doubtful), Nissan still has to warrant these car for 8 more years. Anybody think that in 8 years, Nissan is going to pull an 8+year old pack off the shelf ? Even Nissan does not do stuff that stupid. And as we found out from the aftermarket, putting a 62 kWh pack into a 40 kWh LEAF is not up Nissan's alley

liamonski said:
My 2017 (52,000-ish miles) is at about 73% SOH, but I've started getting the typical bad-cell "Limited Power" warnings this winter while accelerating uphill. Per Leafspy, no error codes have been thrown, but I screenshotted a 570mv difference between cells when the rapid SOC drop started happening, where it went from 35% SOC to 19% in about a quarter mile. This news about potentially not having 40 kWh packs has me concerned, I was hoping one of those was coming my way even if it meant waiting for six months as the current range handles 90% of our driving needs.

Anyone know if there's anything I could do to get Nissan to currently acknowledge the battery problem (without error code) to start a warranty process?

In various online forums I've seen it both ways to get the process started... needing error code and without. My suggestion: Start with Nissan Consumer Affairs and let them guide you.

FWIW... I'm in same boat with my '16SV but it's at 66.5% SOH as of this morning (it's been as low as 66.22% last week). I'm dealing with the limited power warning because I don't want to risk just a single cell or two being fixed (unlikely). I want the entire pack, buyback or lemon law to kick in.

Back