The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VAbreeze said:
I was able to get to the tire pressures. Sort of surprised you have to check them while moving.

No you don't. You have to drive for several minutes for the sensor system to adjust but you can stop to make your check. I think it's best to give the tires time to assume their driving temperature, hotter in summer, cooler in winter. When safely parked do your check.

You are correct that it is unwise to do this while moving.

VAbreeze said:
I was able to get to the tire pressures. Sort of surprised you have to check them while moving. Seems to be counter to all the safety technology that is in the vehicle.
TPMS's don't 'turn on' (transmit their pressure) until they're moving above a certain speed. My guess is that this is to conserve battery energy. So the shortcoming you're commenting on isn't specific to the Leaf. Just FYI.

Thanks for the comments @Toby and @Bobkart.

I have the TPMS system on a 2018 Mazda3 and it must store the last values in the ODM or something. It does make sense that the pressures are not constantly read and must be “triggered”. I now see that I can see the values on the Leaf after I drive, so I guess the first time I tried the car had been parked too long. So much to learn that it is taking me awhile to figure it all out.

I am most perplexed by the charging estimate screen. I did a charging session last night and no change during that either although I didn’t expect one since the manual describes a read out when doing quick charging and I was doing Level 2.

Maybe I am a troglodyte but I just bought a 2023 Leaf SV+ and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I bought a gently used 2019 SL+ back in March and we loved that so much we decided to move to all EV quickly, rather than continuing to wait on the ID.4 which I have had on order for almost a year (355 days, to be exact). One advantage of waiting almost a year for the ID.4 is that I had the opportunity to do lots of research and read zillions of posts on various forums. I realize the Leaf does not have active cooling battery mechanisms and does not have CCS charging (just CHAdeMo). On the other hand it does have a 360 camera and true ePedal, which the ID.4 does not have. The Leaf also qualifies for the federal tax credit so that will be a bonus for us in April. The one I bought is gun metal gray and I love the color. Right now, I am a very happy Leaf owner!

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Can't help you with the other questions. But in regards to LeafSpy Plus, it might not be useful anymore; unless you want to geek out on little details like how balanced your battery pack cells are, or how much energy you're consuming between the motor and AC while driving, or maybe a detailed tally about how much energy you've used on your last trip. You can also get a percentage value of the state-of-health of your battery pack through LeafSpy. There's a ton of very detailed info, but it may not be relevant nowadays, especially since with the larger pack, and the cooler climate that you're in, the degradation of the battery pack isn't severe enough to trigger a warranty claim.

I disagree.

Leafspy is not for only reading values and "geeking out" over that.
But if it were, knowing your rate of degradation on a expensive pack due to driving habits or caring routines for the car is useful.

If putting your head in the sand and not care about literal monetary loss that's your choice.

Leafspy pro allows you to also configure the car as you like, in particular silencing a range of annoying beeps and pedestrian warning sounds.

There's other car behaviours that can be changed too, like locking, lighting etc.

There's reading error codes and finding out what's wrong with the car when there's a problem.

jinneth said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Can't help you with the other questions. But in regards to LeafSpy Plus, it might not be useful anymore; unless you want to geek out on little details like how balanced your battery pack cells are, or how much energy you're consuming between the motor and AC while driving, or maybe a detailed tally about how much energy you've used on your last trip. You can also get a percentage value of the state-of-health of your battery pack through LeafSpy. There's a ton of very detailed info, but it may not be relevant nowadays, especially since with the larger pack, and the cooler climate that you're in, the degradation of the battery pack isn't severe enough to trigger a warranty claim.

I disagree.

Leafspy is not for only reading values and "geeking out" over that.
But if it were, knowing your rate of degradation on a expensive pack due to driving habits or caring routines for the car is useful.

If putting your head in the sand and not care about literal monetary loss that's your choice.

Leafspy pro allows you to also configure the car as you like, in particular silencing a range of annoying beeps and pedestrian warning sounds.

There's other car behaviours that can be changed too, like locking, lighting etc.

There's reading error codes and finding out what's wrong with the car when there's a problem.

There's having good info that you can do something about, and then there's TMI. How does knowing that your battery pack is degrading 0.01-0.03% daily help you save money? And why is disabling the NHTSA required pedestrian-warning-sound something the average consumer should be doing? And when was the last time an error code showed up that needed decoding? You can always install it later, if you need it. But any problem with the Leaf that triggers an error code is most likely NOT user servicable, unless they have mechanical and electrical skills.

Mis-interpreting the data is a potential issue that could result in bad advice and procedures. Correlating a 0.03% drop today versus a 0.01% drop yesterday to driving behaviour is completely ignorant of the fact that there are many other factors affecting battery degradation (many of which are beyond user control), including the margin of error of the BMS that's reporting that value. I've seen my SOH reading go UP before!

In the end, if you find that the battery is degrading 7% per year versus 2%, what would that change other than to sell the car early? The car has to fit a person's needs, and aside from basic battery care (like not charging above 80% nor draining below 20% daily, minimize the use of fast chargers, and not parking under the sun), what else could the user do to affect battery life?

jinneth said:

Actually, for my 2019 and 2023 Leafs, there was not an option in LeafSpy to disable/silence these sounds.

I have a couple of use cases for LeafSpy Pro that could be considered essential. The obvious one is re-registering the TPMS's after a change, like swapping out a flat for a spare (I've done that twice over the years), or replacing two tires and rotating the remaining two forward. Less obvious relates to an intermittent/temporary failure I had involving ABS, where the car was basically undrivable, but once towed to the nearest dealership and diagnosed, it worked fine. Two days and $300+ later, I got the car back in the same state it was before the failure. The working theory I have is that some amount of resetting DTC's and disconnecting/reconnecting 12V power would have gotten me to that same state with far less inconvenience and cost. I make sure to always bring the OBD2 dongle and a phone now, and have installed a way to disconnect/reconnect 12V power with no tools. The failure hasn't happened again, so I haven't been able to test the theory. Admittedly this could be reaching as a motivation for having LSP, but the TPMS registration isn't. Also note that the above applies to my 2016 S24, and that newer models may handle TPMS registration without needing LSP.

I have had my 2023 Leaf SV Plus for a week now and am having a few issues. Probably my fault but I can't seem to figure them out.

The biggest thing is that on the estimated charging time screen it just shows "--" adjacent to each % marker. No times are displayed. I've looked both while charging and not. Anything special to get a time estimate to show up?

I know this has been raised in this forum but I can't find if there has been a fix.

I love this car. I have an Acura and Lexus SUV. Both have not left the garage since we got this car.

Leaf4al said:
I have had my 2023 Leaf SV Plus for a week now and am having a few issues. Probably my fault but I can't seem to figure them out.

The biggest thing is that on the estimated charging time screen it just shows "--" adjacent to each % marker. No times are displayed. I've looked both while charging and not. Anything special to get a time estimate to show up?

I know this has been raised in this forum but I can't find if there has been a fix.

I love this car. I have an Acura and Lexus SUV. Both have not left the garage since we got this car.

I don't have a modern Leaf, but I did find the owner's manual. Check page 2-10 (Instruments and Controls) and 2-11: https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/manuals-and-guides/leaf/2023/2023-nissan-leaf-owner-manual.pdf

When you checked while it was "charging", was the charge timer set? For older Leaf's, when the charge timer is set, the car recognizes this state and doesn't actually start a charging session until the time is reached. So you might've thought it was charging, when it was actually waiting?

Thanks. I read that part of the manual pages 2-10 and 2-11 several times. Mine does not show charging estimates whether charging or not charging. Maybe someone will chime in and help me. I even tried it on Level 1 and Level 2 chargers. I would not like to have to do a hard reset. If it were not for this, I would have been 100% satisfied with my Leaf.

I understand what you are saying, but the charge time estimates are rarely correct anyway. You can measure the state of charge, then see, either with a one hour charge or an averaged X hour charge, how much charge is really added for each hour your car is plugged in to that EVSE or charging station. That number, plus the SOC display on the dash, will show how long you actually need to charge to fill the battery, or get to 80%, etc.

Leaf4al said:
Thanks. I read that part of the manual pages 2-10 and 2-11 several times. Mine does not show charging estimates whether charging or not charging. Maybe someone will chime in and help me. I even tried it on Level 1 and Level 2 chargers. I would not like to have to do a hard reset. If it were not for this, I would have been 100% satisfied with my Leaf.

What state of charge (SOC) are you starting with when you start charging? In other words, how much of your battery has been used when you start charging?

Edit: Also, it can't generate a charging estimate, since it has no idea how much power it can draw. That's what determines the charge time and can only be calculated AFTER a charging session has started.

I’ve started charging with SOC at 10% to 80% using level 1 and 2 chargers. Didn’t make any difference. Still no charging estimates. This is a problem on 2023 models only, based on my google search.

If this is a new car, you must have Nissan Connect & EV services as a trial. That shows the charging estimate (which is what I think you are looking for, if I understand correctly). That's what I have been using on my new 2023 Leaf (and I also use on my older 2019 Leaf).

Hey guys and gals, I got my 2018 Leaf recently, 40kw. Just wondering, when did the Leaf get Wifi capabilities and OTA updates? Mine is an Accenta trim (I think this is the lowest one) and it does have an 8" infotainment system with android auto/apple car play but as far as I can tell only bluetooth connectivity, no WiFi.

Just got my 3rd Leaf today! We needed longer range (some reduced range capacity with my 2015 coupled with some job shifting). A new driver aged into our household driver pool (yay for not being a glorified chauffeur anymore) so we decided to add a 3rd car and let the kid take the shorter range vehicle to school so can drive himself home from practice everyday.

Nothing special on the deal this time. I paid sticker and the interest rates are getting high. They told me they didn't have a wait list, but they also called me in January when they knew they'd have a shipment of SV+ and then took a deposit. My car has a red twin on the lot that came in today if anyone from New England is looking (Topsham, ME).

Enjoy your new Leaf! I bought a 2023 SV+ in November and have been very happy with it. I did have some weirdness with the 12V battery at 1026 miles. They replaced the battery and all seems to be good now (200 miles later. Yes, I know, I don't drive much these days!).

Back