Goodyear - ElectricDrive Tires - Leaf Feedback & Usage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hakanson said:
On our 2016 Leaf SL 30KWh, we ended up returning/exchanging a new set of Goodyear ElectricDrive tires due to loss of range.

Previous tires were the OEM Michelin Energy Saver, 215/50R17. They only had 19k miles (we bought the car used @3500 miles), with 5/32 tread left on one pair, 7/32 on the other pair. One of the better tires was ruined due to a sidewall cut, and they were all 6yrs old, so we chose to replace the whole set.

We put on the ElectricDrive tires in early November 2022, then switched to new Michelin Energy Savers right after Christmas after almost 500 miles. The drop in range on the Goodyears was too much to make our standard 75-mile trip without stopping to charge, in the current cooler weather (40's F) plus rainy conditions. Well, it was possible to make it in one go with some "white-knuckle hypermiling", e.g. limiting motor power to ~20KW, no heater, staying below 55mph, etc. But that's no way to live your life when different tires caused the change.

Here are our energy use measurements:
- 4.2 mi/kwh before Goodyears, 2yr avg, varying trips/seasons, 36-44PSI.
- 3.9 mi/kwh on Goodyears, std trip with hypermiling, 45PSI.
- 3.6 mi/kwh on Goodyears, std trip, no hypermiling, 50PSI.
- 4.0 mi/kwh on new Michelin Energy Savers, no hypermiling, 44PSI.
- 4.4 mi/kwh on new Energy Savers, hypermiling, 44PSI.

Switching back to the Michelins pretty much means we have our car back, for the purposes of this longer trip. The drop in range from the Goodyear ElectricDrive tires made the car impractical for this common use case, especially given that quick chargers in that area can be scarce and sometimes inoperative when you need one.

This was our experience, hopefully others will find the information useful.
That's interesting. What year model of tires did you buy? I got identical range in my ElectricDrive tires as "new", didn't even need to wear them in first as my best range tires "Ecopia" after some wear in. The ElectricDrive tires are a much harder compound that I was driving with the Ecopia's as my wear measurements confirmed what the specs were listed as anyway. Since there are two types of ElectricDrive tires, which ones did you purchase? :?:

That's interesting. What year model of tires did you buy? I got identical range in my ElectricDrive tires as "new", didn't even need to wear them in first as my best range tires "Ecopia" after some wear in. The ElectricDrive tires are a much harder compound that I was driving with the Ecopia's as my wear measurements confirmed what the specs were listed as anyway. Since there are two types of ElectricDrive tires, which ones did you purchase? :?:

Not sure how to interpret "model year". I only know of these two kinds, "ElectricDrive GT" (not available in Leaf sizes, released in 2021) and "ElectricDrive", which is what we got, released Sept-2022, and we purchased in Nov-2022 -- still currently listed on discounttire.com: 215 /50 R17 95V XL VSB, Item #114416. So this type is pretty new, no reviews on Tire Rack at the time of purchase.

We never had 17" Ecopias on any of our Leafs, so we only ever compared 16" OEM Ecopias with 16" Michelin Energy Savers on the same cars. With regard to the Goodyears, all I know for certain is the brand new 17" Goodyear ElectricDrives were 10-11% worse in efficiency than the brand new 17" Michelin Energy Savers, under our driving conditions.

Upon re-reading your posts, do I understand correctly that you are still running two new ElectricDrives on the front, and two old Ecopias on the rear? Are yours the 17" or the 16"?

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. I couldn't remember the GT part. I got mine last year too, so we must be using the same tires then. I wasn't sure if maybe the tires changed since they only came out just recently (2021 I think?). I'm running a full set of them on my Leaf now though, after I put 5,000 miles in the front, I gave my Ecopias to my wife's Leaf and bought another set to put into my rotation. I'm running the 17" size. So far, for me anyway, I have all of the range benefits of my previous Ecopias, just in a tire that last longer (like the actual warranty, where the Ecopia's never made it past half). You noted that you were running them on a 2016. I'm running a vehicle that is nearly 4,000 lbs or 600 lbs heavier; so the increased weight might be our difference? I'm not really sure why weight would make a difference so large that it was hindering your range that severely. I have a relative that just put a brand new set (ElectricDrive tires) on their 2015 SV (also using 17" rims), so I'll be sure to keep tabs on what they are seeing for range.

hakanson said:

Not sure how to interpret "model year". I only know of these two kinds, "ElectricDrive GT" (not available in Leaf sizes, released in 2021) and "ElectricDrive", which is what we got, released Sept-2022, and we purchased in Nov-2022 -- still currently listed on discounttire.com: 215 /50 R17 95V XL VSB, Item #114416. So this type is pretty new, no reviews on Tire Rack at the time of purchase.

We never had 17" Ecopias on any of our Leafs, so we only ever compared 16" OEM Ecopias with 16" Michelin Energy Savers on the same cars. With regard to the Goodyears, all I know for certain is the brand new 17" Goodyear ElectricDrives were 10-11% worse in efficiency than the brand new 17" Michelin Energy Savers, under our driving conditions.

Upon re-reading your posts, do I understand correctly that you are still running two new ElectricDrives on the front, and two old Ecopias on the rear? Are yours the 17" or the 16"?

LeftieBiker said:
I'm thinking that tire pressures are the difference here...

I think we've accounted for pressures as much as is practical. Knightmb said they used 44PSI in the Goodyears and Ecopias. We tried 45PSI and 50PSI in the Goodyears, and 44PSI in the Michelins for our measurements.

We do have different cars (weight) & drivers, though. Shall we take up a collection to send a set of Michelin Energy Savers to Knightmb to test, in the name of science? ;)

hakanson said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm thinking that tire pressures are the difference here...

I think we've accounted for pressures as much as is practical. Knightmb said they used 44PSI in the Goodyears and Ecopias. We tried 45PSI and 50PSI in the Goodyears, and 44PSI in the Michelins for our measurements.

We do have different cars (weight) & drivers, though. Shall we take up a collection to send a set of Michelin Energy Savers to Knightmb to test, in the name of science? ;)

I appreciate the donation, but I've already driven on the Michelin Energy Savers long ago.
They also do excellent in efficiency too. :D
You mentioned you already checked that the tires were installed correctly (correct orientation, direction, etc.), so that just leaves our Aero drag and weight. It's possible that they are less efficient than the others but the added weight of mine eats into that so I can't tell the difference. :eek:

knightmb said:
  • Better Wet Weather Handling that the Ecopia
    (hands down better than Ecopia)
  • Much Quieter than the Ecopia
    (to be fair, Ecopia was never advertised as a quiet tire)
  • Identical Dry Road Handling
    (personal opinion Ecopia might be slightly better)
  • Identical Efficiency for better mileage like the Ecopia
    (ElectricDrive actually scored just slightly higher)

I'll echo a similar experience with the Goodyears versus the Michelins:
  • Better dry grip
  • Less steering feedback
  • Better wet grip
  • Quieter (though it's hard to remember back to when the car was new)

I don't track efficiency closely, so no comment there. We didn't have any snow to speak of this season — I am interested in snow performance. The Michelins weren't very good.

I live in 4 season but not severe winter climate. Perhaps up to two weeks a year have icy/snowy roads.
I've become a fan of so called 'all-weather' tyres, meaning AS that have the 3MP snow rating. I don't know how the snow performance will be when the tread is reduced but so far winter driving has been fine.

Our LEAF was outfitted with GoodYear Assurance weatherReady, and our Bolt with Micheline cross-climate2. Both csrs ended up around 4.3 -- 4.5 miles/kWh in small city driving. Both drivers are non-aggressive, and I can probably be called a hypermiler since I time lights and coast a lot. Both of us are stingy using cabin heating, and in our dry climate fogged windows are a relatively minor annoyance.

^^ I just wasted over a minute of my life watching a paid advert that said NOTHING informative, followed by a shill post

Ughh

SageBrush said:
^^ I just wasted over a minute of my life watching a paid advert that said NOTHING informative, followed by a shill post

Ughh

go back to whatever you are doing that is sooooo important....LOL

Learjet said:
SageBrush said:

Ughh

go back to whatever you are doing that is sooooo important....LOL

Just about anything is more useful than watching that garbage .... LOL

I decided to experiment and try the eRange tires.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gxifZkadL6TMhBkfiLr94HA-l-I_53Ec/view?usp=drivesdk

Will report back once I have them on the car and wear them in a bit.

I'd like to ask a question about puncture repair, which I haven't seen addressed in either the thread or the 'Has anyone tried the new Goodyear ElectricDrive tires?' thread. By way of introduction:
  • I have Michelin Energy Savers on my 2013 Leaf. Second set, same as the original tires that came on the car. Now at 72,000 miles, I have no comments to add with regard to performance, efficiency, quietness, or how long they last.
  • I have Goodyear Eagle Touring on my 2018 Model S. Second set, same as the original tires that came on the car. Now at 69,000 miles, and as with the Leaf I have no comments with regard to performance, efficiency, quietness, or how long they last.
With respect to the Goodyears, the Eagle Touring tires have some kind of lining inside to reduce road noise. I'm wondering if the ElectricDrive tires also have a lining for the same purpose? (I'm guessing that the Michelins do not.) The reason is, somehow my wife has a tendency to pick up nails and screws in the tread. The preferred repair is to put a patch on the inside of the tire. The shop I use does not want to mess with the lining and so plugs the hole rather than patching it. I've had no problems with the plug repairs, but still I wonder what the people on this thread, who are more into tire issues and concerns than I, think about repairing tread punctures on tires that have a lining? Do the Goodyear ElectricDrive tires have a lining? If so are there any concerns about the method used to repair a tread puncture?

The inner liner has NOTHING to do with noise! All tubeless tires and some that are used with or without a tube have a liner. The liner is there to seal the somewhat porous rubber to prevent air pressure from leaking through or making a bubble in the tire.
The only true way to make a permanent repair is from the inside. Rope plugs can be effective in the short term, and with car tires, it isn't as big a deal. but truck aircraft, and heavy equipment tires, they get retreaded and the casing has to last for three tire treads.
Correct method is to buff the liner around the injury and cold vulcanize a patch the seals the hole and the liner. Large holes can benefit from a plug to seal the cords from water getting in from the tread side. Small holes are often sealed with cement on a probe that is inserted in the injury and then removed. the cement will keep the water out of the hole if it is a small nail.

Learn something new every day! I saw they said " added to" the inner liner.
Rare for most to see a tube type today, but I have some, Looking inside the tire it is obvious which have an inner liner and which don't. You can put a tube in a tubeless with a liner and no bad things will happen. But if you try and use a tube type as tubeless bad stuff can happen.

Back