2018 Leaf won't charge on AC, type 2 connector lock not engaging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacxel

see video here

My leaf (2018 40kwh) isn't charging on AC at the moment (haven't had a chance to try dc yet) When I plug in there is a 3-4 second delay and then the 3 indicator lights flash and the car beeps until I unplug. It sounds like the cable locking mechanism is failing to latch. I tried disconnecting the 12v and reconnecting but no change. I have tried 3 different cables on 2 different chargers. Any thoughts?

Note: it's a type 2 charger not J1772

Update: So I took it to fast charge it this evening (which worked fine) when i got home the charger was working normally 🤷

I don't know where you are located, but since you use Type 2, I would guess somewhere in Europe. Sometimes there can be a little bit of ice in the connector on the car so the plug doesn't go all the way in. Type 2-connectors needs to be locked before charging can begin, so if it is not fully seated, it will not lock and therefor also not charge. I don't know for sure if this is what happened to you, but it is a possible explanation.

kaiat said:
I don't know where you are located...

I'm in Ireland, it was about 10 degrees where I was that day and the 2 days before, don't think ice was an issue, I arranged to take it into the dealer today before i found out it was fixed, going to take it in and see if they can find any issues.

I have similar problem yesterday I tried using type 1 to Type 2 cable to charge but it will not work. The three lights continue to flash along with a beep sound. I then made use of the master plug and type 2 to see if it works, and it worked.
I used the type 1 to type 2 cable again it did not. I am thinking the type 1 connector is faulty. Any suggestion ?

Hello,

I have a similar problem. When I try to charge the lock doesn't lock right away I have to make several attempts and it makes a sound ...this is what I have on leaf spy pro :"p31d8 charging connector lock relay". Anyone knows where is this relay ?
Or how can o fix this ?
I'm in France and I don't have a button with the option to lock or not... It has to be locked in order to charge...

Thank you

Fakelefteye said:
Hello,

I have a similar problem. When I try to charge the lock doesn't lock right away I have to make several attempts and it makes a sound ...this is what I have on leaf spy pro :"p31d8 charging connector lock relay". Anyone knows where is this relay ?
Or how can o fix this ?
I'm in France and I don't have a button with the option to lock or not... It has to be locked in order to charge...

Thank you

I hit a similar problem with my 2018 Leaf (ZE1, Finland) a week ago. It turned out that the locking solenoid/motor couldn’t move the locking pin to lock the Type 2 charging plug in place.

The symptom was that the lock made a small ticking sound when plugging in and then the car started beeping the three beeps cycle until the plug was removed. I did see the same ”P31D8-71 08 EV/HEV Charging Connector Lock Relay EVC-313” DTC message on LeafSpy Pro.

For me, I stumbled upon the following fix:

I opened the hood and removed the wide decorative black plastic cover that is held by plastic clips in the front of the hood opening, next to the charging door. (The plastic clips open by lifting the centre gently with a small flathead screwdriver and then lifting the clip.)

On top of the Type2 socket in the car, there is a (in my case) white knob to manually release/engage the locking mechanism. When I started to rotate it, the locking rod was a bit stuck at first but with some gentle persuasion, it started to move then freely. After this, the locking mechanism continued to work as normal and Type2 charging worked as before.

Probably lubricating the locking rod and mechanism would be a good idea. When the mechanism works it makes a “sweerrrp” sound, instead of a small ticking sound when it was stuck.

Hope this helps.

Back