Japan Leaf 2015 X 24kwh or 2016 S 30kwh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakuleaf

Hello and thank you for reading.

I live in Japan. In Nagano and it snows heavily in the winter. I see other Leafs driving in the winter so I figure if they can manage so can I for 3 months with winter tyres.

I'd like some advice on which of two Leafs I have short listed to buy.

These are Japanese Leafs, and the I can't really see the difference apart from the names.
S = lowest grade, no auto climate control model
X = middle model, gets auto climate control
G = top model, more factory standard with extras?

2016 / July S 30kwh - 11 bars (880,000 yen - lets just say US$8000)
43,000kms. LED lights, heated everything. Basic aircon and aftermarket stereo, so no remote stuff. Silver.
About a 3 hour drive away.

2015 / September X 24kwh - 12 bars (970,000 yen - lets just say US$9000)
29,000kms. Halogen lights, heated everything. Auto climate and Nissan navigation. White. Been sitting unregistered for about 2 years. He moves it around his car lot but that's it.
About 30min drive away.

Both are from private dealers.
I feel the closer dealer with the 24kwh leaf is the way to go, I can imagine me using the remote climate control. However, both models have heated steering wheel & seats. I also really want to install LED lights if i went with the X 24kwh. Is that even possible?
Then the more research I do, I feel I should go for the 30kwh because it has the Lizard? To be honest, I am confused and would like your advice. What would you do?

Thank you very much.

The 2016 has 2 strikes against it:
1) it's a 30 kWh pack...and I run away from 30 kWh packs
2) it's an S trim, so it doesn't have a TCU (which you mentioned)...which also precludes you from adding an (aftermarket) OVMS module if/when Japan discontinues whatever type of mobile service it has (like 3G in the US)

In North America, the 30kwh pack is problematic. Some of them are good, but many of them degrade rapidly. WE know the "Lizard Pack" as the 24kwh pack of that era. I don't know if things are any different with the Japanese-built Leafs..

Back