1.1kW vs 2.2kW charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astral

I got an aftermarket home charger that has these options. Is there really any difference in using 1.1kW charging vs the 2.2kW? In theory the battery should degrade slower but neither of these is making the battery heat up significantly so maybe it's really all the same?

Astral said:
I got an aftermarket home charger that has these options. Is there really any difference in using 1.1kW charging vs the 2.2kW? In theory the battery should degrade slower but neither of these is making the battery heat up significantly so maybe it's really all the same?

It's the same. C rates above 0.5 have an impact on battery life, but even with a 24kWh LEAF, charging at 2.2kW is 0.1C, that's good.

Efficiency of charging and energy use will be better at 2.2kW. Bad wiring might survive 1.1kW better.

WetEV said:
Astral said:

It's the same. C rates above 0.5 have an impact on battery life, but even with a 24kWh LEAF, charging at 2.2kW is 0.1C, that's good.

Efficiency of charging and energy use will be better at 2.2kW. Bad wiring might survive 1.1kW better.

What does the term "C rate" mean? How can you tell what the C rate is for the different charging speeds?

Ok so basically no impact if I understood correctly. Presumably I don't have bad wiring, how about 3.6kw? The same charger can go up to 16A, my voltage is around 220V. Any long term difference against the standard 2.2kw by Nissan?

And just for reference I am talking about a 40kw 2018 model Leaf.

I'll jump in, since WetEV may have signed off. L-2 charging all the way up to the Leaf's 6.6kw limit won't harm the battery. There may be minor degradation over time if the battery is hot whenever you charge it with 6.6kw.

LeftieBiker said:
I'll jump in, since WetEV may have signed off. L-2 charging all the way up to the Leaf's 6.6kw limit won't harm the battery. There may be minor degradation over time if the battery is hot whenever you charge it with 6.6kw.

I sometimes keep strange hours, but this time was sound asleep. Leftie is correct.

Ok good to know. So if I have a choice to leave the car with a hot battery to cool down it is better to wait before charging it, even if the battery is below 20%? Because If I understood correctly it is better not to leave the battery sitting let's say at 10% for too long. Maybe good to top it up to 25-30%, then disconnect it to let it cool down and then continue once the battery temp is normal.

Back