Splitvolt Splitter Switch

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bannsider

Hi - I just purchased my first leaf today (used 2016 SV with 30kwh battery). Very happy :D with the purchase even though I've only driven a little.

> I plan on doing most of my charging at the office (my employer offers free charging - so no brainer).
> I rent a house and therefore was thinking of using the 240v dryer outlet (Nema 14-30) to type 2 charge on occasion (Dryer is close to garage).
> The splitvolt splitter looks useful in that it will auto alternate between the dryer and the EV.

https://splitvolt.com/collections/all/products/splitvolt-nema-14-30-splitter-switch?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8e-gBhD0ARIsAJiDsaU1j8NU-OIaHr6MXvrIKPsgnQJjG2JoRzNrSDS9H9zgmT7GUIQ_zAgaAupDEALw_wcB

However, as the leaf only comes with a type 1 charger I need to also buy a type 2 charging cable on amazon. I probably need a 25ft one. My question is... is a 32Amp charging cable ok? My leaf can take up to 27.5Amps. The splitvolt has a 24amp trip also I believe. So would the 32 amp cable suffice? I don't need to future proof anything as I won't be charging that often using this method.

Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

thanks,
Bannsider

Welcome. You'd need to limit the EVSE's output to 24 amps, otherwise it would just trip the Splitvolt's breaker whenever you tried to use it. That's a good thing, because you don't want to exceed 24 amps for hours-long charging sessions on a 30 amp dryer circuit. So you want either a fixed-output 24 amp EVSE (Clipper Creek makes nice, reasonably priced ones, in the USA) or an adjustable rate EVSE that you'd set to 24 amps or less.

I highly recommend you consider this "splitter" from NeoCharge since you want to use your dryer socket:

https://getneocharge.com/pages/smart-splitter

I have used one for a few months now and love it. You can select the plug type when ordering, and it is a much better form factor/installation. YMMV.

Thanks Stanton - I looked at that one also and wasn't sure which to go with. I'm assuming it has the same safety trip (measures) as the other. I know little about the electrical world so I liked the idea (redundancy) of the splitvolt box having a trip in addition to the houses main breaker box.

I'll look at the NeoCharge in more detail.

Bannsider

Bannsider said:
Thanks Stanton - I looked at that one also and wasn't sure which to go with. I'm assuming it has the same safety trip (measures) as the other. I know little about the electrical world so I liked the idea (redundancy) of the splitvolt box having a trip in addition to the houses main breaker box.

I'll look at the NeoCharge in more detail.

Bannsider
It is UL listed. From their website: "Beware of non UL Certified and unsafe splitters like the Splitvolt Splitter Switch".
I have been very impressed with the NeoCharge product to date.

FYI

Another vote for neocharge ....

I been using this ( UL certified) for extend my dryer to do 6kW ... work wonderful so far :D :mrgreen:

I also been measure the wire temp and ampere to make sure my Leaf ( max out at 6.6 kW) and Tesla M3 ( which can draw over 24A, but I hard code to 24A ) and all the time, it is at 26.6A max. so it is still within my 30A breaker .

Charging my Leaf is 1-2 hrs to bring it to drivable , priceless .

Back