2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.... in the FB Nissan Leaf Owners Group someone is reporting the following:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/posts/8855417834528979/

"Has Nissan offered to buy back anybody else’s 30kwh 2016-2017 due to pack degradation? I’ve been waiting 3 months for a new pack with no ETA but now Nissan corporate is offering to buy it back. I’d rather just get a new pack. My guess is that they are trying to reduce the backlog by taking 30kwh Leafs off the road."

I've not seen of a buyback offer anywhere else before this. Has anyone here?

If they'd offer $17.5K or more (dreaming I know!) I'd have to seriously consider it. :)

mn4az said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/posts/8855417834528979/

"Has Nissan offered to buy back anybody else’s 30kwh 2016-2017 due to pack degradation? I’ve been waiting 3 months for a new pack with no ETA but now Nissan corporate is offering to buy it back. I’d rather just get a new pack. My guess is that they are trying to reduce the backlog by taking 30kwh Leafs off the road."

If they'd offer $17.5K or more (dreaming I know!) I'd have to seriously consider it. :)

That's an interesting proposition, but the battery replacement would essentially make it a used 2022 Leaf S (since older ones have partially degraded batteries already), so I wouldn't take the offer for anything less than $20k. Or am I being too greedy?

$17.5k is about what it would be worth to me also for the reason mentioned. I'd probably bite if they made me an offer at that price but I'm still holding out for a new 40kWh pack in my low mileage 2017 S.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
mn4az said:

That's an interesting proposition, but the battery replacement would essentially make it a used 2022 Leaf S (since older ones have partially degraded batteries already), so I wouldn't take the offer for anything less than $20k. Or am I being too greedy?

I don't think it's greedy. :)

$20K for me would be a slam dunk for me. I'd use the funds to purchase a Bolt for hopefully around $20K or a ~$30K Telsa M3 LR with some bumper-to-bumper warranty left like this one: https://www.findmyelectric.com/listings/2019-tesla-model-3-long-range-rwd-175192/

So far, the 2017 that I bought hoping to get a warranty battery isn't degrading at all. It's been a fairly cold winter here in CO so we'll see what happens in the future. When I bought it there were 6 bars showing but after the BMS firmware update it went to 10 bars. LSP showed about 75.xx % SOH. When I checked it today, it was 75.91% SOH which I think is the highest I've ever seen it, although it's been in the mid 75% range since the BMS update.

An update on my warrantee replacement:

Coming up on 2 months since the dealer put in the order for a new battery from Nissan. Still no word on when the battery will be delivered. There is apparently no way even for the dealer to get this information. Seems like a major communication failing on Nissan. They assure me it's in process, but that's all the info they have.

FYI, just saw a post on reddit a couple days ago from a guy that just got his battery, and it took about 5 1/2 months!

The queue is LONG folks!

GreatScott said:
An update on my warrantee replacement:

Coming up on 2 months since the dealer put in the order for a new battery from Nissan. Still no word on when the battery will be delivered. There is apparently no way even for the dealer to get this information. Seems like a major communication failing on Nissan. They assure me it's in process, but that's all the info they have.

FYI, just saw a post on reddit a couple days ago from a guy that just got his battery, and it took about 5 1/2 months!

The queue is LONG folks!

Yeah. In case you missed it. My warranty process started in July of last year, and I just got the replacement last month. So I think that's been the slowest one so far, at almost 7 months. Set your expectations accordingly.

Thanks for the update ... I'm down to 67.50 SOH ... hasn't been dropping as fast as I hoped the last few weeks ... gotta get to 66.25% by Feb 2024 ... fingers crossed! Hot san diego summer should hopefully get me there... but once the new 40 kW battery gets ordered, I'll mentally prepare for that 5-7 month wait till the queue clears ....

mn4az said:

I had to deal with the "buy back" threat from the Nissan Memphis Division (USA) January 2020 when our 25K mile 2016 Leaf SL triggered the battery warranty. Since I started my claim with National Leaf Rep I contacted the same Rep and got my car back with a new 40 kWh battery. I had purchased the car in October 2019 for $13.5K from a Nissan dealership and there was someone in the Memphis Division that eas not happy that I was getting a new $13,000 battery at no cost.

That same month Carlos was quoted saying by 2022 Nissan would be in bankruptcy but pandemic funds lengthen their runway.

In short my 50 years of buying and driving Nissans has been a winner in our case. The 1973 Datsun 1200 was my first new car and the 2023 Tesla Model Y dual motor long range was my second new car in my lifetime. The $47.5K price after rebate sealed the deal over the Ariya. I use Autopilot Autosteer every time I drive it and look forward to the next FSD beta.

After 3 years and 19K new miles the 40 kWh battery pack SOH is at 94% which I consider to be good.

LeafSpy is at 66.43% SOH today. Getting close to getting in queue. For those that have blazed the trail before me: Has anyone received an offer for a free rental car while waiting for the battery pack?

I'm guessing 'no' as a search for 'rental' in this thread didn't suggest a 'yes'

FWIW... Asking because my college age daughter will be home this summer and need to drive the Leaf approximately 62 miles round trip for her summer internship. 44 miles of that being freeway speeds. With ~18 kWh available after the 4th bar drops, I figure she'll need to average 3.5 miles/kWh to avoid turtle mode (barely). If she cannot average 3.5 miles/kWh she'll need to find a way to trickle charge during the day at her internship or stop every day at a DCFC for 5-10 minutes.

mn4az said:
LeafSpy is at 66.43% SOH today. Getting close to getting in queue. For those that have blazed the trail before me: Has anyone received an offer for a free rental car while waiting for the battery pack?

I'm guessing 'no' as a search for 'rental' in this thread didn't suggest a 'yes'

FWIW... Asking because my college age daughter will be home this summer and need to drive the Leaf approximately 62 miles round trip for her summer internship. 44 miles of that being freeway speeds. With ~18 kWh available after the 4th bar drops, I figure she'll need to average 3.5 miles/kWh to avoid turtle mode (barely). If she cannot average 3.5 miles/kWh she'll need to find a way to trickle charge during the day at her internship or stop every day at a DCFC for 5-10 minutes.

The dealership offered me a loaner car while the battery was being replaced (was going to take their tech ~2 days, since this was their first replacement). I wasn't offered a loaner at any other time. Hope this helps?

Edit: The loaner was a Rogue, so I declined it.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
mn4az said:

The dealership offered me a loaner car while the battery was being replaced (was going to take their tech ~2 days, since this was their first replacement). I wasn't offered a loaner at any other time. Hope this helps?

Edit: The loaner was a Rogue, so I declined it.

It does. Seems to fit what I thought: No loaner while in queue for new pack, but potentially loaner while pack is being replaced and I'm without the car.

The capacity bars may do that "Long Goodbye" a few times (or just once or not at all) before finally leaving for good.

Is it my imagination? If I remember the battery wiki, the 2011-2012 cars also tended to average 13-15 months before the first battery capacity bar disappeared? Yet there are 2013s on the forum that have gone much longer than I have?

The 30kwh "Lettuce Pack" is unique, in that examples of it can have really terrible capacity loss rates, often worse than the original 2011-3/2013 'Canary Pack', but other examples of it can perform as well as the later 2013 - 2015 Wolf and Lizard Packs.

From what I've seen across publicly available data, the 90 degradations may be more than the 70/85s but it's nothing like the 16/17 Leafs.

From a data point of my experience: My '16 SV Leaf has battery degradation of 33% (83K miles) with 30QCs. My Tesla '15 70D has battery degradation of 10% (106K miles) with 100s (I'd guess 500-700) of Supercharging sessions.

DougWantsALeaf said:
What I have always thought as being an interesting coincidence is that Tesla's 90 pack had similar degradation issues around the same time (2016-2017).

The Tesla 90 packs had a "high" (relatively) amount of silicon in their anode. As the siliconized-anode takes in Li ions, it started to swell, more than Tesla was expecting, which degraded their packs. Not the same cause as the 30kwh Leaf packs.

Another FB user saying Nissan wants to buy her car back rather than replace the battery.... this is the second time I've seen a buyback post but the first time that someone has said Nissan CA has said that Nissan isn't making the 40kWh pack anymore. Given that my SOH is now 65.22% and I'm just waiting for the dashboard to register the fourth bar capacity loss it could be an interesting time for anyone waiting for a battery replacement under the degradation warranty.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/posts/8981280538609374/

"My 2017 Leaf has been at the dealer since November waiting for a new battery that was supposed to deliver at the end of February. They put me into a long term rental in the meantime. Last week I called Nissan consumer affairs to see what the update was on the battery as it did not arrive by the end of February.
They called me today to let me know that Nissan will no longer be making the battery for my car and that Nissan is going to buy back my car at MSRP plus Interest and give me some kind of voucher toward a new Nissan.
Has this happened to anyone else? I'm in shock, literally."

mn4az said:
Another FB user saying Nissan wants to buy her car back rather than replace the battery.... this is the second time I've seen a buyback post but the first time that someone has said Nissan CA has said that Nissan isn't making the 40kWh pack anymore. Given that my SOH is now 65.22% and I'm just waiting for the dashboard to register the fourth bar capacity loss it could be an interesting time for anyone waiting for a battery replacement under the degradation warranty.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/posts/8981280538609374/

"My 2017 Leaf has been at the dealer since November waiting for a new battery that was supposed to deliver at the end of February. They put me into a long term rental in the meantime. Last week I called Nissan consumer affairs to see what the update was on the battery as it did not arrive by the end of February.
They called me today to let me know that Nissan will no longer be making the battery for my car and that Nissan is going to buy back my car at MSRP plus Interest and give me some kind of voucher toward a new Nissan.
Has this happened to anyone else? I'm in shock, literally."

MSRP? I'd take that deal but I'm still hoping to get a 40kWh pack. It seems hard to believe they aren't making them anymore unless they plan to discontinue the Gen2 Leaf in short order.

goldbrick said:
MSRP? I'd take that deal but I'm still hoping to get a 40kWh pack. It seems hard to believe they aren't making them anymore unless they plan to discontinue the Gen2 Leaf in short order.

Yea... I don't quite understand it. MSRP of what? The car with degraded battery when it was new or a new one now? Either way, something seems off with that comment as MSRP of my '16SV was $34.2K. If they want to give that to me, my immediate response would be "what do I need to sign and how quickly can I get the check/deposit?"

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-9c04406501da47ec83c0c3138bf6a5f5-nissan-announces-u-s-pricing-for-2016-leaf

Back