Battery warranty replacement claim - how to begin?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnoffen said:
I flat-out told them if the offer isn't enough for a lightly used Leaf with 110+ miles of range I'll probably have to lawyer up.

Has anyone else faced this?

I see a happy lawyer in your future. You ? Not so much

SageBrush said:
johnoffen said:
I flat-out told them if the offer isn't enough for a lightly used Leaf with 110+ miles of range I'll probably have to lawyer up.

Has anyone else faced this?

I see a happy lawyer in your future. You ? Not so much

Yeah. "Don't feed the sharks" - We'll see what they offer.

^^ There is that, but I live by the motto to never threaten lawyer involvement. it just closes down any communication channels.
Enrich a lawyer if you want to, but threats are worse than useless.

The closest I'd come to threatening to Lawyer Up would be to say something like "The offer sounds pretty good. I just want to have my Lawyer friend/cousin/golf buddy confirm that it's ok." That way it isn't a threat, just a bit of normal due diligence that might make them consider making the deal more "ok."

I will second what Sage said. I can't speak to Nissan, but some automakers have policies that will cut off all communications channels with you/on your vehicle or issue if you mention make legal threats or bring up lawyers. At that point, it will likely be between the lawyers of the two parties.

Side note: Awhile ago, I came across stories about this buyback case involving Nissan vans back in the 90's:
"Nissan to Buy Back 33,000 Defective Minivans : Autos: All owners will receive up to $7,000. The action on the fire-prone vehicle could cost more than $200 million."
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-02-04-fi-19061-story.html

This must've been super embarrassing for Nissan and super costly given that they had to do the engineering, tooling, homologation (https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/12/how-much-does-homologation-really-cost/), support work and many other costs just to bring the van to the US...

At this point I'm beyond frustrated, because I was told (by the dealer) that I couldn't keep driving the car because Nissan had requested the battery be taken out and drained for shipment

Well, I show up today to get photos of the car (as requested by the Nissan arbitration fellow) and... It's still got the battery in it. It's still drivable.

This was my response

I've included the requested documents and photos with the exception of the sales details which I cannot provide at this time (I'll keep looking.)

In the meantime, I was told the battery had to be removed as part of the warranty claim process. It turns out this was a lie as I see that my car still has its battery installed and is still in the same condition (as far as I can tell) as I dropped it off two months ago. In other words, it's still drivable with its diminished range.

Simply put, why can't I be given my car back and continue to drive it while I wait for a battery? And I am aware that many other Leaf owners have been permitted to do this, so why was I lied to about this?

If you want to "make me whole" simply return my car to me and allow me to drive it while I wait for a new battery. If a new battery isn't available in six months we can revisit your offer to buy back the car.

As for the lawyer comments, I basically said "I hope the offer is generous because if I can't buy the equivalent of a well-maintained Leaf with a excellent battery with the proceeds I'll have to speak with an attorney about my options." (I never say the "l-word" ending in either "yer" or "suit")

We shall see, as they say.

Update, took my car in to the dealership in January, new battery failed, they ordered another battery, got it back today with new battery today. Guess I meter gives a 160 range. So relieved.

dang10010 said:
Update, took my car in to the dealership in January, new battery failed, they ordered another battery, got it back today with new battery today. Guess I meter gives a 160 range. So relieved.

Lucky you!

I went back and forth with the arbitration department, and after starting at a $9K offer (used car price I paid three years ago + fees - my use) we eventually reached a deal of just over $16K (Price when brand new + taxes + gas while car was shop - total use)

Best of all, no lawyers involved.

I think I'll take the offer and use it to get a used SV Plus. Especially as I'm hearing stories of folks getting refurbished 40 KwH batteries as replacements.

johnoffen said:
As for the lawyer comments, I basically said "I hope the offer is generous because if I can't buy the equivalent of a well-maintained Leaf with a excellent battery with the proceeds I'll have to speak with an attorney about my options." (I never say the "l-word" ending in either "yer" or "suit")

That could work ... in kindergarten. Or on 'truth social.'

SageBrush said:
That could work ... in kindergarten. Or on 'truth social.'
Ouch. Actually, for it to be on 'truth social' I'd have to first disable my spell checker and turn on ALL CAPS.

Well, it got the latest offer up over $7k from the initial offer, so I'll literally take that to the bank. :D

Hey there! I stumbled upon this post and thought I'd share my two cents. I know some people feel hesitant about consulting with a lawyer, but it's always better to weigh your options and get professional advice.

I’m facing the same issue now with my own Nissan arbitration officer. I still have yet to know how much they will offer me for the buyback. Is this something that Nissan tries to do first before coughing up a replacement or repair ? I feel like I’m being lied to, as the arbitration officer is telling me they can’t replace because they have discontinued the 30kwh batteries. They are telling me this, even after the dealership has already called and arranged for the replacement and has a 40kwh battery on back order that I’ve been waiting on for months. Why is this arbitration officer telling me that the buy back is my only option ? Is this new ? Has Nissan changed their policy? I’m about to lawyer up myself . Please PM if you have a cheap way of doing so. I don’t have to have things escalate to that level too often.

It is true that the 30kwh batteries are no longer made. It's also true - for whatever reason - that Nissan has been telling battery warranty claim 'winners' that they are also no longer making the 40kwh packs. So what you are being told isn't specific to your case.

I just checked NissanUSA.com . Even the 2023 Leafs are still being offered with the 40kwh batteries, as well as 60kwh. I've learned through enough of these forum posts that Nissan certainly has put the 40kwh batteries in the 2017 Leafs as replacements. If there is anyone who has successfully gotten one of these 40kwh batteries installed in their 2017 or earlier Leaf please message me. I need as much evidence/proof as I can get to arm myself properly against this arbitration officer.

I purchased the CNA service contract for my 2015 Nissan Leaf SL. It had a battery degradation warranty of 70%. The claim was approved by CNA but only up to the purchase price of the vehicle which was $11,076. I'm fine with that. My dealership says they will be replacing it with a 24 kWh pack for $14,126 which is an out of pocket cost for me of $3,050. I have two issues with this 1) why is the cost so high for a 24 kWh pack and 2) aren't the 24 kWh pack no longer made?

dakota1996 said:
I purchased the CNA service contract for my 2015 Nissan Leaf SL. It had a battery degradation warranty of 70%. The claim was approved by CNA but only up to the purchase price of the vehicle which was $11,076. I'm fine with that. My dealership says they will be replacing it with a 24 kWh pack for $14,126 which is an out of pocket cost for me of $3,050. I have two issues with this 1) why is the cost so high for a 24 kWh pack and 2) aren't the 24 kWh pack no longer made?
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=34159 got a similar quote.

1) Because they can.

The 24kwh packs are indeed no longer made. Unless Nissan guaranteed a 95%+ SOH when installed, I wouldn't even consider one. If you can take the money and have a used 40kwh pack installed by a converter, that's likely your best bet.

LeftieBiker said:
The 24kwh packs are indeed no longer made. Unless Nissan guaranteed a 95%+ SOH when installed, I wouldn't even consider one. If you can take the money and have a used 40kwh pack installed by a converter, that's likely your best bet.

I wish I could do that. I live in Hawaii and am unaware of any shops that will be able to do the conversion. I am surprised a dealership can quote reapirs for a part that is no longer made. Is this their way of handing it back to Nissan for arbitration buyback that I've been reading about?

The buyback, as I understand it, involves Nissan corporate, and their inability to supply enough 40 KWhr replacement packs to satisfy (Nissan's) warranty obligations for people who have newer Leafs, the ones with 30 or 40 kwh packs, and still within the eight year pack warranty.

It seems to me the OP has a whole different situation, involving a third party warranty, CNA

Back