Nissan: Allow EV Connect & Services to use WiFi!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgtyoder

I really wish Nissan would not try to extract every last dime out of us by requiring that the cellular connection be used to communicate with the car with the EV&Services app - it would be a (relatively) minor change* to allow WiFi to be used if it's connected, which it is in my case if my car is at home (and several other places I frequent). And it would speed up app responsiveness by at least an order of magnitude - a win for everyone. Please please pretty please Nissan make this change!

*yes, I do know that it would be not that difficult - I have worked in the software/tech world for several decades 😁

cgtyoder said:
*yes, I do know that it would be not that difficult - I have worked in the software/tech world for several decades 😁
If true, then you would also understand how easy it is to hack a WiFi connection. This way, Nissan doesn't have to jump through all the security hoops required to protect against that; cellular connections are highly secure...and require special access/hardware to even intercept (e.g. government access).

It really has little to do with the WiFi connection - if the connection from the car to Nissan is encrypted via TLS ("https" when you connect to e.g. your bank), then the channel is secure and there is no worry of any hacking. (Obviously, they have to do it right, just as any bank's website would 😉)

There would probably be additional cost to add WiFi because they would need to add wireless radios for WiFi, which are different from the radios 3G/4G/5G radios. My 2016 only has the 3G radio, which is ridiculous. How could they still be using a 3G radio in 2016? I refuse to pay for an upgrade to 4G, especially when that will probably be retired soon also.

OP's post originally didn't have a signature so I at the time had no idea what model year. Indeed, gen 1 Leafs didn't have any wi-fi hardware in the head unit, TCU, etc.

timgross said:
There would probably be additional cost to add WiFi because they would need to add wireless radios for WiFi, which are different from the radios 3G/4G/5G radios. My 2016 only has the 3G radio, which is ridiculous. How could they still be using a 3G radio in 2016? I refuse to pay for an upgrade to 4G, especially when that will probably be retired soon also.

Yes I had forgotten some models don't have WiFi - could of course only apply to those with it built-in (e.g. recent SV model years).

Back