2013 Nissan leaf.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Jasonwithana said:
LeftieBiker said:
The Guess O Meter (GOM) can only take the previous few minutes of driving efficiency, and use them to estimate range to Empty. No wonder it's so bad at it! I'm guessing (heh) that there is either a stretch of highway driving or a fairly big uphill climb near your house, causing the low range estimation.

Just drove it around. Battery meter 100% upon starting. She fell fast. Down to 70% in 5.5 miles. Without even testing with the leafspy my guess is the pack is on its last leg but that’s just a guess Started with the guess o meter at 30 miles. Drove the 5.5 miles and the guess o meter says 16 to empty. I was driving very modest and slow no ac no heat windows up.

The GOM tends to drift towards accuracy as the end of a trip nears. It rarely actually reaches accuracy, but it improves.

I can see that. But the fact that the percentage meter on the battery dropped so fast isn’t that an indicator of bad battery

Jasonwithana said:
LeftieBiker said:
Jasonwithana said:
Just drove it around. Battery meter 100% upon starting. She fell fast. Down to 70% in 5.5 miles. Without even testing with the leafspy my guess is the pack is on its last leg but that’s just a guess Started with the guess o meter at 30 miles. Drove the 5.5 miles and the guess o meter says 16 to empty. I was driving very modest and slow no ac no heat windows up.

The GOM tends to drift towards accuracy as the end of a trip nears. It rarely actually reaches accuracy, but it improves.

I can see that. But the fact that the percentage meter on the battery dropped so fast isn’t that an indicator of bad battery

How about an soh of 33%? And each module showing 3.9 volts. Shouldn't it be 7???

IDK how to post pictures of the leaf spy screenshot I took

Jasonwithana said:

How about an soh of 33%? And each module showing 3.9 volts. Shouldn't it be 7???
Not that these aren't good questions, but they are isolated data points that may or many not matter depending on what the LeafSpy readings show (especially the cell-pair voltage graph).
Post a couple of those screens and we can draw some conclusions. And cell-pair voltages top out at 4.2v (not 7v).

Even though the cells are paired, LSP shows the individual cell voltages, not the cell-pair voltages, since the BMS has access to each individual cell in order to monitor and balance all the cells individually.

goldbrick said:
Even though the cells are paired, LSP shows the individual cell voltages, not the cell-pair voltages, since the BMS has access to each individual cell in order to monitor and balance all the cells individually.

Copy that. I don't own a computer and upon reading how to upload a photo I can't do that from my phone.

My issue is with three SOH. Forgetting all the rest of data it shows SOH of 33%. If the state of health of the battery is 33% that's bad correct. That can't be changed with "rebalancing" the modules. Or doing any other special trucks can it? Car shows 12 bars when charged and 33% SOH

There are 2 sets of bars. One is charge level (SOC) and the other is health level (SOH). 33% SOH is bad and is probably about 3 or 4 bars. The SOH bars are the smaller ones on the right side of the display and have 2 red bars at the bottome. The SOC bars are larger and on the left.

You are correct that there isn't much that can be done to fix this except to replace the battery pack. The car will stop moving based on the voltage of the lowest individual cell so balancing them may yield a very small gain since a single low cell will shut the car down but in general the only fix is to replace the entire pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDBAXZB3qSg

goldbrick said:
There are 2 sets of bars. One is charge level (SOC) and the other is health level (SOH). 33% SOH is bad and is probably about 3 or 4 bars. The SOH bars are the smaller ones on the right side of the display and have 2 red bars at the bottome. The SOC bars are larger and on the left.

You are correct that there isn't much that can be done to fix this except to replace the battery pack. The car will stop moving based on the voltage of the lowest individual cell so balancing them may yield a very small gain since a single low cell will shut the car down but in general the only fix is to replace the entire pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDBAXZB3qSg

Yes sir thanks for the video. On this car it’s self the wider gauge where the mikes to empty protrude into the bars when 10 percent charged show full bars. But the skinny gauge next to that where the gas gauge is has always been 4 bars including the red two. Then that drops ass the miles to empty drops as well

I've never heard of that type of behavior but I'd guess it's due to the firmware and the very low SOH of your battery.

Are you saying the SOH bars drop and rise as the car is driven? Normally they just drop although I've heard of a few cases where a single bar will drop then return a few times (over the course of days) before finally dropping for good.

goldbrick said:
I've never heard of that type of behavior but I'd guess it's due to the firmware and the very low SOH of your battery.

Are you saying the SOH bars drop and rise as the car is driven? Normally they just drop although I've heard of a few cases where a single bar will drop then return a few times (over the course of days) before finally dropping for good.

No bars are never above 4. 2 red 2 not red

4 bars for a SOH of 33% seems reasonable. I would not buy this car unless you're committed to replacing the battery.

Back