BMS Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Marktm

I have 2 ups systems, one is a 10KW apc ups, its a beast.

The one i have et up thought is a 6kw (4.8kw continuous) Socomec Sicom ups. This works of a 48v battery system, so I have configured 14 cells to give a 50v output and a capacity of about 7kwh, although i am only using around 5.5kwh of the capacity with the way ive set up the cells at high and low voltage.

It works very well as an emergency power supply, I havent had the time to do anything with it for a while, but it does work and will give me power if we get a power cut.

Anthony.

Marktm said:
Glyndwr1998 said:
Hi to the forum, was directed here from another forum member from a renewables forum.

I have got a leaf battery from a 2014 model gen 2 cells, complete. I want to use the complete pack in a home energy recovery system to work with my solar pv and a ups.

Is it possible to connect a micro controller like an arduino or duinomite with can bus connector, Imwoiod definately use leafspy with an elm327 as an instant visual display to indicate the condition of the pack, but I would also like to use the same can messages for battery voltage, pack voltage and temperature sensors into an arduino to control the charge and discharge process.
The leafspy already knows what these messages are as they are already reading and displaying them.
I'd need to know what the can message addresses are to write them into code for the micro controller.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you. Anthony.

Anthony;
Did you ever successfully integrate into (assuming an off-grid) solar system (or maybe energy shifting GT scheme?) What UPS where you considering to operate at such high DC voltages?

Glyndwr1998 said:

The one i have et up thought is a 6kw (4.8kw continuous) Socomec Sicom ups. This works of a 48v battery system, so I have configured 14 cells to give a 50v output and a capacity of about 7kwh, although i am only using around 5.5kwh of the capacity with the way ive set up the cells at high and low voltage.

It works very well as an emergency power supply, I havent had the time to do anything with it for a while, but it does work and will give me power if we get a power cut.

Anthony.

When you mentioned the 10kVA unit (I've assumed a SURT model?), I was hoping you might have tried using it directly with the Leaf's battery (with the emergency plug as the center tap) - so was just checking on that. I also have the SURT 10kVA UPS. As you likely know - it operates at +/-200 VDC (center tapped DC between the four battery cages and would seem to be a good candidate for a "LeafUPS" (I've built a PriUPS). I've taken voltage measurement - both AC and DC around the battery cages. There is a full/partial L1 and L2 VAC (240 VAC at my house), to various battery terminals. I also have the wiring schema for the 10kVA, which shows that the battery cages center tap is directly connected to the 240 VAC neutral wiring. I'm thinking this makes it non-compatible with the Leaf's battery - but not being an electrical engineer/inverter designer, I'm not entirely sure - I'm thinking the risk is too great to try it.

I have a number of 48 nominal volt APC UPSs - including SUA/SUM/SMT units. I also have the high voltage SMX 3000 (120 VDC nominal) that is my choice for the Level II charging system I'm currently installing as it is very efficient and reliable.

I currently use my 48VDC (golf cart + spare set ~ 7KWH usable) battery system to power a SUA3000 unit for emergency backup at the rural property where the solar system is installed - probably similar to yours (except for the batteries!).

Out of curiosity, what do you plan on doing with the SURT 10kVA unit?

Mark

Forum supporters;

Since this thread has been re-activated, should the last few posts be moved to the Solar category under something like "Leaf Battery as off-grid energy storage" - or something similar - assuming it becomes active again?

Glyndwr1998 said:

Anthony.

Question: What charger(s) are you using to charge those 14S Li cells? Altogether or individually?
With your Li attached to UPS - that will only work as one-way. UPS charging functionality is designed for Lead-Acid chemistry and you must not charge Li with it. Different algorithm, different voltage and no floating charge for Li!

Hi, I am interested in utilising my numerous UPS systems too (HP, DELL, APC - operating from 12, 48, 72 and 200V etc) as back up power supplies. Top one I have is 3.5KW and we have 240 AC in New Zealand.

My Solar + TeslaPowerWall + SolarEdge Inverter - they are grid-tied - meaning that in the power outage situation it will shut down and will not provide power. Hence using those UPSs is a good an option. Just need to find the best charger for Li. I have few but not for 14S or more.

Hi analyser,

I charge the Nissan Leaf cells with a meanwell 48v power supply, I have set the charge voltage on the meanwell via the turn pot to 55v.
I do not allow the ups to charge the leaf cells.

The leaf cells are protected at cell level with cell loggers set to end charge when any cell gets above 4.05v, I have also got total pack voltage control via a jld404, and also got temp control via temp control pcb,s.
So basically, the leaf cells are a seperate block, attached to the ups.

Hope this helps.

hello, I zaparalelil two batteries and accidentally burned down two chips now bodice does not start, it is possible as to deceive bms and start the car? help advice.

Thanks to Jim, I have managed to establish connection with the BMS on workbench. The BMS does not seem to set cell balancing. It is possible for the VCM connection to send a start string to the BMS. Has anyone done a LOG of the messages sent to the BMS from VCM? We could look for this starting trigger for balancing.

Wolftronic in that post shiff the communication internally of the BMS. Between the microprocessor and the ASICs that make up the BMS.
Thank you ;)

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but there's a lot of great info here. The schematics as drawn sort of make it look like the monitor for every set of 8 cells is independent, but I'm gathering that this is not really true. From studying the board photos, L50 for example on the far left input of IC32 is really the first of the 4 input inductors on IC31 not a fifth inductor on IC32. So each IC is chained together down the whole line in the same manner that IC33 and IC32 are until you get to the mid point split.

I'm looking at using my 48 Leaf modules in an 8s6p configuration and just want to see if I've got my options straight if I wanted to try and use the stock BMS.

From easiest to hardest:

1. Bypass one section: Use 4 ICs / 17 taps and bypass the rest of the ICs. Each tap will be connected to 6 batteries in parallel, so balancing will be 1/6 as effective as stock.

2. Bypass two sections: Use 4 ICs / 17 taps from each 1/2 of the board, 8 ICs / 34 taps total, bypass the rest of the ICs. Battery would be split into two 8s3p sub packs wired in parallel, each tap will be connected to 3 batteries in parallel so balancing would be 1/3 as effective as stock.

3. Major modification: Use all ICs / taps. Board would have to be modified to cut the connection between the high/low taps after each 4th IC to avoid blowing the trace and/or damaging ICs. Would need to add the missing sense point and filter inductor at the top of each set of 4 ICs. May also be an issue with the comm line between the same 2 chips, i.e. the output of the top chip on one string to the input of the bottom chip on the next string. Might need a level shift? Battery would be divided into six 8s strings in parallel, with each tap connected only to 1 battery so balancing would be as effective as stock.

Thanks for any input,
Rob

Hi!
I can't solve a problem. At inclusion or a zaradka of the car in 2-3 seconds it is switched off. Error of P3106 ByPaas Sw. I installed other controller of the battery, but nothing has changed.
In what can be a problem?

nikmaster said:
I did some experiments. Looks like it can be used for monitoring of 8-96 cells.
Is best to have number of cells dividable by 4. Still did not test the balancing.
I bypassed the the second of the 48 cells and connected 48 only

Hi,

have there further tests been done to rewire the bms to lower cell count? Will it still balance, has anyone tested that? Sorry for digging that out, this old thread is the best I can find...

I need to rewire the bms for 44s cells. Can I just short out half of the ASICs as you did, and disable one further asic by shorting it's in and out pins? To short out the second half of 48 asics, it just needs the red wire you soldered on the board?

thank you, rostefix

There is a schematic difference on the LBC board that uses the D15110 chip such as the Calsonic Kansei 285UF00A00 (--C) TC1852.

The chip id is hard wired on pins 22-26 with the "Vcc" [Hi] on pin 27, and pins 20-21 are all tied to "Vss"[Lo], rather than the scheme as shown in the first post of this thread. Pin 26 is wired Hi on all the chips on the top side of the board, and wired Lo on the bottom side.

Hello
What would happend if one would replace service disconnect with in 12 ,24 or 48 V lifepo4 battery?
The bms is isolated so it would not burn out.
would the car run?

Dear Turbo3,

Thank you for your information. I have tried to make the BMS module by Raspberry pi 4, and I refers your information. I have a couple of questions.

First, could you share the link (Here is the link to the PDF:
http://pdf.datasheetarchive.com/indexer ... 511174.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) again?

The PDF version is not opened, and presents with errors as follows:

The error message.
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>3P81XHPY06H7YJ8P</RequestId>
<HostId>RYUBpQYnu671obIuBvZ5BiF7keWZt9zz9X9eONdY4pJ1Go9Av4mFfXUYB47CR3k6f/jVhttA9MI=</HostId>
</Error>

Second, the BMS module operates based on the schematic with the pin numbers?

Turbo3 said:
On LeafSpy Pro you must select BMS as the model year in settings.

Thanks Turbo,
Was what needed to know also to connect direct to battery
Your App has been very help full for know how good batteries are.
I even used the re-pair feature few weeks back for swap

1,000% good tool to have

@Turbo3 is their any why to use Leaf Spy to scan a Gen1 battery (2011/2012)

I tried on Gen2 and works well
But when I rewired for a 2012 battery does not get any readings

Hi, I try to restore burned BMS after cell splitting.

I have changed burned Asic from another BMS (both 30kwh) and few other visually burned resistors, capacitors etc.
Tested circuit in damaged Asic (IC28) block - all good
Tested three photocouplers - all good

Still getting -Cell cont LIN error and -Cell cont Asic1-24
It looks like there is a problem in a whole Asics circuit and Lin communication.

Would be helpful for any ideas what to look for.
Also question: are all ASICs the same? Maybe they have some kind of info data written inside (LIN, ID etc.)?
Thanks

Back