Battery Upgrades are very possible

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for affordable new modules to upgrade my 24 KWH 2013 Leaf to 40 KWH within the same battery back
Any further info on companies doing that or ways to do that here in the USA would be appreciated by me and about 100,000 other Leaf owners...

AdventureMuffin said:
Looking for affordable new modules to upgrade my 24 KWH 2013 Leaf to 40 KWH within the same battery back
Any further info on companies doing that or ways to do that here in the USA would be appreciated by me and about 100,000 other Leaf owners...

daveinolywa is in Washington, and he posted the following: https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/03/leaf-battery-upgrades-comes-to.html

The TL;DR:
"
BYOB (Bring Your Own Battery)

Right now EV Works is sourcing their LEAF packs from salvage, auctions, etc. This means each pack currently coming in has a different cost which means I cannot give you a specific price for how much this is going to cost you to do this.

You could simply bring your own battery. Installation, testing, and software upgrade is $1999. They also offer all types of EV repairs, upgrades, etc. at $125 an hour.

For more information you can contact EV Works www.ev-works.us or Jay by email [email protected]
"

Good luck!

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
@daveinolywa is in Washington, and he posted the following: https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/03/leaf-battery-upgrades-comes-to.html

You could simply bring your own battery. Installation, testing, and software upgrade is $1999. They also offer all types of EV repairs, upgrades, etc. at $125 an hour.
For more information you can contact EV Works www.ev-works.us or Jay by email [email protected]
That's really not a bad price for the service/labor end of a battery pack swap; the hard part is sourcing the battery pack. That's about what I paid to replace a bad cell/module in my pack (module included). It's not an easy job.

Stanton said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
@daveinolywa is in Washington, and he posted the following: https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/03/leaf-battery-upgrades-comes-to.html

That's really not a bad price for the service/labor end of a battery pack swap; the hard part is sourcing the battery pack. That's about what I paid to replace a bad cell/module in my pack (module included). It's not an easy job.

That blog post was from 3 years ago though, so it's pre-inflation pricing. The point was that EV Works is available to help here in the states.

I just got back from a little trip yesterday and today, and I brought home a 62 kWh pack!! I found a salvage yard on car-part.com showing they had an 18 and 19 pack, but wasn't clear what they were. They sent me pictures of the labels once they had them at their yard. One was a 40 and the other a 62. :D I said I wanted the blue dot one, paid them and left to go get it.

Pictures here, including Leafspy screenshots: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cdNQUvgKKQvGX3wG8

serial #000015 62 has a broken HV connector, should be no big deal to replace if you have another connector assembly, have to open it up to replace it. But no dents on the cover. Leaf spy looks good? It had chalky white overspray or paint on the top of it. Maybe just dust or dirt, but maybe overspray from marking structural parts underneath a car for crash testing? Maybe the HV connector broke from the main cable being pushed rearward in a crash test? Or easily just broken during disassembly.

#000010 62 has some bigger dents on the top, must have touched the cells, should open it to check it. Looked like it might been tipped over on the ground? Leaf spy looks funny? Every other cell is hi lo hi lo, only 10-15mv, but why? Maybe some special testing. I can't think why it would look that way.

Any of these probably should be opened to make sure the dents are just superficial. Mine (serial # 000006 ) has some probably superficial dents on the top cover, I may open it to check, I'm not sure. And Leafspy looks similar to #015

The 62 packs report approximately 171 ahrs!! 97soh!! My pretty good 24 pack has only 62 ahrs!

The 40 looks like it had some other testing done on it. It has a hole from a pressure relief valve that got knocked off on the left side top cover. The other side still has a relief valve. It has some good dents on it too. The controls connector looks like the earlier 11-12 connector, but has the PTC heater plug like 13+. I didn't know the pinout for the 11-12 connector, so I didn't plug in to it, sorry. I'm not sure what sort of testing would need to have pressure relief on the case. I'd keep that in mind.

The 62 packs are a bit taller, and there could be some mechanical work to fit it. The rear side mounts are higher, vs. the 24/30/40 pack side mount tabs are all the same height I think. The Plus pack looks like it goes lower in the car, I see the front two mounts look different also. The front tabs are up a little higher like the rear side ones. I think my 24 front mount tabs are more flush with the bottom of the pack. It looks like the ground clearance is lower on the plus model, comparing pictures of 2018, vs. 2019 plus. The plus model you can see battery pack covers hanging below the rocker panel. It may require spacers and longer bolts on the first & second side mounts, to get all the mounts on the same plane.

I'll measure it up and figure out more when I unload the new one soon, and look again under my car and measure there. I hope it will fit as is, like the 40's fit in mux's gen 1 projects. It should fit, unless the Plus model underfloor structure is different? If not, I'll be making it fit somehow, modify either the car or the pack.
Any tips on sourcing a battery? I'm looking at car-parts.com and hoping to get a 2018 40 kWh pack.

Back