Looking at a 2016 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astricklin

I am looking at buying a used leaf and I found a 2016 with 70k miles on asking $10k and it and it is showing 5 battery bars on the picture of the dashboard.
First, I believe I have the information correct that all 2016 SV and SL will have a 30kwh battery.
From the Carfax, it looks to be a one owner car with no accidents and it was purchased in August of 2016.
This means it should have over a year / 30k miles left on the battery capacity warranty.

Other than verifying that the battery software update has been completed and other normal used car stuff, is there any reason this car wouldn't immediately get the battery replaced with the 40kwh version from Nissan?

Make very sure that it really is an SV or SL, or if an S, that it was built AFTER the S got the 30kwh battery in 2016. Anyone remember the build month in which the switch occurred? I want to say June, but I'm not sure... A lot of ads that label a car SV or SL turn out to be for an S.

+1 on what Leftie said. Also be sure the car really has 5 bars left. There has been at least one photo posted on this site showing a strange number of bars that was a result of the picture being taken immediately after the car was turned on while the display was going through its normal sequence of lighting all the bars in sequence.

But yes, any 30kWh Leaf, which includes all 2016 SV and SL and some 2016 S models has the 8 year/100k mile warranty. The BMS update must be done and that can change the display a lot. Eg, I bought a 2017 with 6 bars to get the warranty replacement and it now has 10 after the BMS update was done. I'll probably still make it in time before the warranty expires but with a 2016 you may not be so lucky.

I think there is also a caveat that the title must be 'clean' and not salvage, rebuilt, etc for the warranty to be in effect.

I think there is also a caveat that the title must be 'clean' and not salvage, rebuilt, etc for the warranty to be in effect.

Yes. Good addition. Someone (Not It!) should write a sticky outlining the requirements and pitfalls involved in buying a used Leaf in order to get a free battery.

Carfax is clean, one owner as long as it matches up.
I'm certainly going to check it over with leafspy.

It should be an SV according to the pictures. It has the upgraded infotainment that isn't in the S and it has cloth seats so it's not an SL.

The interesting thing will be, if I buy it, getting it home 100 miles. I could tow it home, but I think there's enough charges to be able to drive it home.

I guess the other thing is that I will be using it to make two 40 mile trips per day. I can charge it on 240v at home for 6 hours between trips. If the BMS does need updated and it does go to 9+ bars, I should be able to stress the thing out over the next few months.

After replacement, 150 miles would make the whole day with a bit of buffer. But it seems that replacement is taking about 6 months to get the pack.

LeftieBiker said:

Yes. Good addition. Someone (Not It!) should write a sticky outlining the requirements and pitfalls involved in buying a used Leaf in order to get a free battery.

Ya I read over the information. My better half is just wanting me to be 100% certain that it will qualify. And I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Back