Replacing NissanConnectEV with OVMS in a Gen1 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great idea, LeftieBiker! I come and go randomly, if I ever work in the office, so I'd have to set it when I park after deciding when I'll leave later. I normally work from home, even since before the pandemic. It's the odd chance that I'd want to preheat or cool before leaving, after a visit to my building in cruddy weather.

I appreciate the suggestion.🙂

Stanton said:
I just published a blog about my OVMS experience here (https://www.myeva.org/blog/add-ovms-to-your-nissan-leaf).
I will add it to my initial post (or two) if I get positive feedback; otherwise I'll just leave it here.

Thanks for your very helpful post and blog. Your blog says your usage is "1-2 Megabytes/day", but in an earlier post in this thread you said your usage was "1-2 Mb of data per day", which is a factor of 8 different (Mb vs. MB). For clarification, are you using 1-2 Megabits or 1-2 Megabytes per day? The extra factor of 8 could influence a person's choice of data plan.

daveizdum said:
Stanton said:
I just published a blog about my OVMS experience here (https://www.myeva.org/blog/add-ovms-to-your-nissan-leaf).
I will add it to my initial post (or two) if I get positive feedback; otherwise I'll just leave it here.

Thanks for your very helpful post and blog. Your blog says your usage is "1-2 Megabytes/day", but in an earlier post in this thread you said your usage was "1-2 Mb of data per day", which is a factor of 8 different (Mb vs. MB). For clarification, are you using 1-2 Megabits or 1-2 Megabytes per day? The extra factor of 8 could influence a person's choice of data plan.
Wireless data usage is always quoted in MegaBYTES.
Glad you liked the blog!

After buying the 3G TCU unit only to have it stop functioning.... and Nissan appearing to not ever do anything about it I just ordered the OVMS unit and SIM card for my 2015 Leaf SV.

I will update this thread with the install and update on how it works.

Spacecoastbill said:
After buying the 3G TCU unit only to have it stop functioning.... and Nissan appearing to not ever do anything about it I just ordered the OVMS unit and SIM card for my 2015 Leaf SV.

I will update this thread with the install and update on how it works.
Success? Remember, you need to completely disconnect the existing TCU on 2015 models.

Just came across this thread! I fixed my PTC heater last year (2013 Leaf), and I'm interested in getting to preheat/defrost my car in the winter at work (park outside, not plugged in). As far as I can tell, you can't turn the heat on with the Climate timer if the car is not plugged? Am I wrong on this? Several folks have posted that you can, but I have't figured out (without modding) how to do it.

I never did get the Nissan Connect App to connect to my car (I think it was the old 2G TCU?). My question to everyone here is how does the WiFi only module work? My work has a guest network that I can pick up outside.. what about networks that make you 'click thru' the terms of service to connect? Will it connect thru any open network? I'm trying to avoid paying the $5/month for the sim card! If the WiFi module does not work well, I probably wouldn't mind getting a sim card (already have a Tello data sim card for another car).

smooveride said:
I never did get the Nissan Connect App to connect to my car (I think it was the old 2G TCU?). My question to everyone here is how does the WiFi only module work? My work has a guest network that I can pick up outside.. what about networks that make you 'click thru' the terms of service to connect? Will it connect thru any open network? I'm trying to avoid paying the $5/month for the sim card! If the WiFi module does not work well, I probably wouldn't mind getting a sim card (already have a Tello data sim card for another car).
WiFi only (no modem) works great at home...but you can't "jump around" from AP to AP because you need to log-in to the module to set those APs (and their permissions) for security reasons. If you want to use it like NissanConnect (from anywhere), then get the modem; I have a $7.50/month plan (with Hologram) and it's worth every penny just to check things like temps and whether I locked the car.
Remote climate control is absolutely possible, but (mods) depend on what model year, etc. as outlined in the first couple of posts (and the OVMS docs). Post back here with any questions and good luck!

Just to make sure before I pull the trigger on the hardware... I've got a Sept 2013 build date, SV. If I get the modem and disconnect the TCU (and make the mods) I'll be able to run the climate control remotely without being plugged in?

Thank you again for all the work on this!

smooveride said:
Just to make sure before I pull the trigger on the hardware... I've got a Sept 2013 build date, SV. If I get the modem and disconnect the TCU (and make the mods) I'll be able to run the climate control remotely without being plugged in?
Correct...except you shouldn't have to make any "mods" if you have a AZE0 model.
The OVMS docs for the Leaf have been updated here https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html. Also make sure you read through the "notes" (like #4).

Our Leaf has the OVMS hardware running.
It works as promised - no complaints.
For me it is a first step to replacing the head-unit with something more up to date.
On our 2014 Tekna / SL version the head-unit is running the show in the car (predictive charging, pre-heating, camera's etc. etc.)
The OVMS unit takes over a number of those functions and then some.

I believe (not sure) the big battery tops up the 12 volt battery every five days.
Query 1: is there a way to force the big battery topping up the 12 volt battery, preferably at a predictable voltage?
Query 2: is there a way to prevent the OVMS - cellular module going down or is this power related?

Thanx for any replies.

Best regards,

Antoine

antoinem01 said:
I believe (not sure) the big battery tops up the 12 volt battery every five days.
Query 1: is there a way to force the big battery topping up the 12 volt battery, preferably at a predictable voltage?
Query 2: is there a way to prevent the OVMS - cellular module going down or is this power related?
There is no way to alter the five day schedule (when car is not powered on) for "topping off" the 12v battery.
There is a "time out" parameter for both the modem and WiFi (look through the settings/power menus when "logged in" via PC). You can extend these times at your own risk, because I have verified that leaving them on for more than a few days (without driving the car) will kill your 12v battery...but YMMV.
These answers assume you are concerned with the car "sitting" (not driven), because the 12v is charged both while the car is "on" and while "charging".

Thanx for the swift and clear reply.
What you say matches my experience - limited capabllities of the 12V battery when the car is not driven.

I will look into where I got the info that the big battery tops up the small battery

Additional query:
In the the OVMS forum there is talk of hooking the module up to a power supply / battery bank.
I will try that and see what happens, whether that extends the battery live.

Extra additional query:
I put the OVMS module in the pocket of the left rear door.
What seems to be the best place in your experience to physically install the module?

Best regards,

Antoine

antoinem01 said:
Extra additional query:
I put the OVMS module in the pocket of the left rear door.
What seems to be the best place in your experience to physically install the module?
I basically velcroed it underneath the driver's wheel well...but eventually it loses it's "stickiness" (even the heavy-duty velcro). It's spent some time just taped up against the left side of foot area (next to the left foot rest)...but I haven't been motivated to do anything more permanent. I thought I could zip-tie it to something underneath the steering column, but I don't really want to remove that cover (which is what I originally stuck it to). Post if you find anything better.

Well... I have a fairly long ODB2 to module cable and we have a left-hand drive 2014 Nissan Leaf Tekna / SL

= I zip-tied the ODB2 connection next to the OBD2 port (if you catch my drift)
= I than ran the cable underneath the rubber matting I have on the drivers side
= Moved along the left side of the drivers seat
= Put the unit in the cupholder well of the lefthand rear door
= And glued the GSM antenna to the B-pillar (i believe it is called)

Remaining problems now are the staying power (dubious if is this the correct wording in this setting...) of the 12 volt battery and the correct settings of the module.

First test is the 80% charge limitation I set ( head-unit touchscreen is on it's last feet) - we'll know tomorrow morning whether that setting was absorbed by the system.

I'll stick in a battery bank / charger in the module tonight. See whether it enhances the longevity of the modem connection.

Hi everyone, just received the OVMS unit, plus 3 cables for my 2014 Leaf SL. I've always been a car guy, but NOT much of a computer or techy guy. I was surprised the hardware came without instructions of any kind, so I'm not sure where to start. Are there any "OVMS for Dummies" instructions that I could access?

Also, I thought the OVMS was supposed to come with a Hologram SIM card, but the slot appears to.be empty. Do I need to order that directly from Hologram?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Alex in Colorado

bsnman said:
Hi everyone, just received the OVMS unit, plus 3 cables for my 2014 Leaf SL. I've always been a car guy, but NOT much of a computer or techy guy. I was surprised the hardware came without instructions of any kind, so I'm not sure where to start. Are there any "OVMS for Dummies" instructions that I could access?

Also, I thought the OVMS was supposed to come with a Hologram SIM card, but the slot appears to.be empty. Do I need to order that directly from Hologram?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Alex in Colorado
I would start with the first post in this thread; there is a link to the OVMS docs that include setup/config.
You can also read my blog post (https://www.myeva.org/blog/add-ovms-to-your-nissan-leaf), which has a section on the Hologram SIM (you can request a "trial" SIM that can be converted to a "production" SIM).
Good luck and post back with any questions.

I bought this upgrade & SIM card several months ago and haven't had the time nor the nerve to set it up myself. Knowing the 2012 needs some hardware modified and a fuse pulled keeps me from doing anything (yes, I want remote start while unplugged). If someone in Kansas City (MO) is willing to step up to take this fix off my hands, I'd be so thrilled and appreciative.

:D

I just connected the OVMS I just bought in the US. But I am not sure what I may have done wrong. As other than display 12v reading, SOH, there's not much else I can do. Not displaying SOC, etc...Not able to turn ON/OFF the AC. It's basically useless at this point. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Never mind my request for help. It's all taken care. The unit is zip tied onto the panel under the dash. It seems to be working fine at this point. More updates to follow.

Back