Its time! 24 kWh battery replacement on our 2013

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasless

Hello Team!,

I was keeping up with the new and upcoming battery startups that were available to replace or even upgrade our battery. I have now been out of it for a few year and I was wondering if you guys could suggest a battery, a company or a thread I can read up on for the best results for us. If we ended up with our original range that would be enough but wouldn't mind more...who wouldn't? Nevertheless, thank you for any help and direction I will receive.

We are currently at 5 bars and 40 mile top range. We are not in a huge rush because like many it is our second car. That being said I believe after this summer would be an optimal time to change it out or I hate to say it... sell it? We love our Leaf so much but my parents are 75 years old (doing very well thank god) and some other driver safety features might be better for them. We live in York, PA and the car has 64k miles. :)

All the best.

I can't recommend an installer, but if you can find a good used 40kwh battery from a 2018+ Leaf, that will go in fairly easily, and will nearly double the original range of the 2013. If you see a used 30kwh battery,resist the temptation to buy it - those packs are just too hard to predict, as far as longevity and long-term soundness go. It's unlikely that you will get the chance to buy a 62kwh battery from an ePlus, but those require substantial additional work and expense. Your best bet is a 40kwh battery.

Here's a story about my 24->40 kWh upgrade (https://www.myeva.org/blog/keeping-your-nissan-leaf).
PM me with any questions and good luck!

Engineers like Stanton above and intrepid DIY'rs occasionally find a pack from a totaled car, handle the logistics and cost involved in getting the pack to where the car is, and then look for someone to perform the install or rarely do it themselves. On the left coast a few committed environmentalists have paid $10k - $20k to have an EV garage find a used pack and do the swap.

The other 99% of owners get rid of the car and move on when the range no longer fits their wants/needs

I have the same situation with my 2013 Leaf. Down to 5 bars, 40 miles. Used 40 kwh batteries are nearly impossible to find.
Would like to look into purchasing the modules and replace the old modules with new ones, perhaps creating a 40 kwh battery.
Any suggestions on how to go about implementing this approach?

From 2011 through 2016 about 100,000 24 kWh LEAFs were sold in the USA.

I'll guess that the forum has accumulated perhaps 5 - 10 stories of successful swaps

Check this out to find a near battery replacement store for Nissan Leaf battery replacement or upgrade. You can upgrade your 2013 Leaf to have a 62Kwh battery (around 400+KM range)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1308-ro4A4wXe7y35vyR96-UvbhKsHLlK&ll=36.0936437221874%2C-83.51384490940194&z=4

Back