Gary Giddings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Safe travels Gary.
I came to know Gary from the Aptera forum around 2009. A kind soul.

I will try to attend the event on Feb 18.
Thanks for posting @Boomer23

-Tom

Sorry I've haven't been more responsive to a few people here, been super busy but I'll be better :)

So digging through the old archives (and I've got ALOT of them) and tons of old pics,etc. and found a few that I thought were really good.. one hits really hard :cry:

1st is one of the early / 1st EV events we ever attended with the group back in 2013 down at the beach and Dori / Gary were giving rides in their Leaf's and we stayed down there for the weekend. At the time we just barely knew either of them but little did we know we'd become like family :mrgreen:
gid-dorito.jpg

2nd hits hard.. found this in my Leaf stuff last week :cry: Don't know how many people still have his card.

Remember everyone.... "The Future starts with YOU"
gid-card.jpg

I hope him and Robert are up there hacking and reverse engineering away! :cool:

Thanks for that blast from the past Jason! I have many fond memories of all the EV drivers and admirers that we have met and made friends with through Gary's breakfast meetups and EV events over the years. Robert and Gary will both truly be missed. I'll be at the Gary potluck get-together, hope to see you and Hilda there.

Dori / LeafyD

sparky said:
Safe travels Gary.
I came to know Gary from the Aptera forum around 2009. A kind soul.

I will try to attend the event on Feb 18.
Thanks for posting @Boomer23

-Tom

Tom, it would be great to see you!

For those planning to join us for the Celebration of Life for Gary, here are a few more details on logistics at Mile Square Park on Saturday, February 18. Please Plan for arrival before 11 am..

A. As you enter the Park on Ward Street, off Edinger, the traffic light there was broken or off this morning. Be prepared to treat that interaction like a four way stop.

B. Be prepared to pay $5 entry fee to the attendant at the kiosk after you enter the Park.

C. Parking Lot H is definitely the best located for entering the Nature Area for the Celebration ceremony. The parking lot runs roughly East and West, and the Nature Area is at the East end of that parking lot. Lots I and G are a short walk from the Nature Area entrance.

D. We will meet before 11 am inside the Nature Area in an open space roughly in the west center of the Nature Area, next to a small lake.

E. The Celebration of Life will begin as close to 11 am as possible, so please be early or on time.

F. After the Celebration gathering, we will gather for a BYO picnic on the grass close to the walk-in entrance to the Nature Area. If you'd like to also share a potluck dish, that is encouraged but optional. We will have some paper plates, plastic cups, cutlery, napkins, and some limited number of beverages to share.

G. We will have at least one to probably several picnic benches and two shade covers. PLEASE BRING FOLDING CHAIRS THAT YOU CAN USE IF YOU'D LIKE DURING THE CELEBRATION AS WELL AS DURING THE PICNIC, AND BLANKETS IF YOU'D LIKE TO SIT ON THE GRASS AT THE PICNIC.

H. If you plan to grill, the barbecues are bare bones and not pre-cleaned. You will of course need to bring your own charcoal and grill tools.

I. Weather is forecast to be cloudy, but not rainy until late that evening.

See you there, I hope!

Thanks to you and all who put together this celebration of GaryGid.
It was a warm and joyous sendoff.
Very nice to see everyone again.
Cheers.

Just a quick wrap-up on the Celebration of Life for Gary. As Sparky said, it was a warm and joyous send-off for Gary. Gary would have been very pleased and would have enjoyed seeing the familiar faces (and the doggies), and the chocolate cake and ice cream. We had about 22 of Gary’s friends, mostly regular meetup group members, but also some of Gary’s other close friends. And his friend Barbara brought along Maggie, Gary’s poodle mix and very best friend. Maggie lives happily with Barbara and her other dogs and cats now, up in the high desert.

Quite a few folks said heartfelt words about Gary, their fond memories of meeting him, how much he gave to them over the years, and what he meant to them. It was a soothing and warm remembrance. It was especially nice to meet and to hear from Gary’s lovely and close friend Heather, who stepped up and helped him so much near the end of his life.

The picnic afterwards was a wonderful chance for folks to see each other again, to reconnect after three years of not seeing each other. The shared food was plentiful and delicious. The happy fellowship and chat lasted well into the afternoon, and I certainly enjoyed catching up with so many friends.

Many thanks to all who came. You made the day extra special for us all. Special thanks to LeafyD for help with the beautiful venue and an EZ UP, to 91040 and his lovely wife for helping with the venue selection and a second EZ UP, to GerryB for bringing so many delicious dishes to share, and for the beverages, ice and even ice cream, inspired by Gary’s love of the stuff. And many thanks to those who made a long trip to say goodbye to Gary. He would have shed a few tears at the warm affection.

Back