Need help with codes and problems after battery pack replacement in 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerancourt

My 2012 has problems after getting an old, tired 24kwh battery put in (see below for more context). Yes, I got a 5 bar 24kwh battery put into my car on purpose. See more context below and my theory and questions below that.
Here are the symptoms:
  • The #3 blue light flashes for hours and hours, and at the same time, there is a hum or whir coming from the motor compartment, just under/to the right of the coolant reservoir. https://postimg.cc/dkns6nTS
  • There are also DTC's that seem to have to do with the CAN: u1000 and p318d. Also at one point had p3197 and p3191, but not currently.
  • Driving the other day, the turtle light came on with 4 SOC bars and 44% SOC according to Leaf Spy
Here's some context:
It's a long story, but to try to keep it short: In July 2022, I brought my Leaf to a company in OC, CA to get a 40kwh battery upgrade. I assumed they'd use a CAN Bridge and the pack would work like normal, but they didn't (they present it as a virtue because they only use OEM parts). They just took the BMS from my 24kwh pack and put it on the 40kwh. The SOC (and I suspect SOH) bars and GOM were not nearly accurate and Leaf Spy still showed a 24kwh battery and gave nonsense readings. The car could go a good 30 miles after reaching 0 bars/0% SOC. Total range was maybe around 120 miles, but with no reliable SOC indicators. I ended up needing to get towed twice. I was unhappy with this, so I brought the car back 6 months later to get a (partial) refund. In reality, they "facilitated the sale of my battery to another customer," which was different. The whole process was messy, with misleading statements, surprise labor charges, and condescension. They told me they'd put in a 24kwh battery that came from another customer and to not expect much range out of it, which was fine. The one they put in has 5 bars (a little less range than with the battery I brought in in July, which is fine). BTW, I got a new car and don't need this one. I was just hoping to sell this for a few thousand (just to help me feel less bad about getting ripped off), presumably to someone with a good plan to replace the battery.
The obvious thing to do is take the car to the installer, but that's a burned bridge. I would like to try to get more info before considering that. Plus, it's far from where I live and not easy.
What I've done so far:
Someone in a group noted that the flashing blue light can indicate that one of the following systems is operating: Climate control timer, Remote climate control, Li-ion battery heater. So, I had a hunch. I crawled under the car and checked to see if they installed a pack with a Cold Climate Package. I found only two plugs on the pack, so that means it's not a Cold Climate-equipped battery. I believe that my car does have the Cold Climate Package.
Theory and questions:
  • First question. Am I correct in thinking that heated seats and steering wheel does mean that I have a cold climate package? I've always assumed that's what that is, and I've seen folks say that in this forum (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=15994). Is it true?
  • I guess I should ask, am I right in thinking that a Cold Climate pack has three plugs (red, orange, black)?
  • Does it stand to reason that a car with a Cold Climate Package with a Non-Cold Climate battery might have the codes and problems listed above?
  • Does this collection of codes and symptoms indicate anything to anyone out there? I'm hoping that somebody will just be like, "oh, they clearly forgot to connect this one wire and you can do it yourself easily."
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Mike

I apologize for not being able to give any advice. Your post makes me even more wary about having the main battery replaced on my 2012 LEAF. It's down to about 40 miles range, but everything else is working no problem. I've searched through this forum for many months trying to find even a possibility of a reliable place to have the battery replaced, with not much luck. Funny thing is, I only live 20 miles form where Nissan builds batteries, but the dealer where I bought the car told me that there is a 6 to 9 month backlog on new batteries -- and I'm pretty sure he was talking about a "refurbished" battery pack. I specifically asked the service manager about what kind of battery pack would be installed and he was evasive, claiming that they only received what Nissan sent them. One thing I do know is that after all of Nissan's perfidious behavior this will be my last Nissan product.

I don't know how to say this without insulting one or both of you...but here goes. I don't want to see FUD spread about battery pack replacement/upgrades to others who read the forum. I don't even know where to begin on your list of issues...because this pack/config will never work properly.
@mikerancourt (or his installer) did just about everything wrong that could be done...hence the result. I just hope he didn't spend too much money on it.
@CWO4Mann upgrading the battery pack in a 2012 Leaf is one of the best ways to extend the life of your Leaf (if you want to keep it like I did)...assuming it is done properly by an authorized installer/technician.
There are many threads on the forum regarding this topic, and you can search for my name if you are interested in details (and blogs) about my experience.

It might be helpful to list, with links if possible, the mistakes made. My own contribution is that if there is a paper trail here, then their installation of the wrong pack ( heated vs unheated) should be used to get this either fixed or refunded.

I once bought a 75% SOH battery from a wrecked 2012 Leaf for my 55% same year Leaf. Just to make sure there would be no trouble I opened up both battery packs and swapped their battery management boxes. Afterwards I also got stranded once because of wrong guessometer reading and all - didn't have leafspy at that point. I think it took the Leaf some hundreds of miles to catch up but it eventually corrected the guessometer. I never had the bars adjusted however. I assume the OP waited long enough and there really were other issues?

I don't know how to say this without insulting one or both of you...but here goes. I don't want to see FUD spread about battery pack replacement/upgrades to others who read the forum. I don't even know where to begin on your list of issues...because this pack/config will never work properly.
@mikerancourt (or his installer) did just about everything wrong that could be done...hence the result. I just hope he didn't spend too much money on it.
@CWO4Mann upgrading the battery pack in a 2012 Leaf is one of the best ways to extend the life of your Leaf (if you want to keep it like I did)...assuming it is done properly by an authorized installer/technician.
There are many threads on the forum regarding this topic, and you can search for my name if you are interested in details (and blogs) about my experience.

Good points, thank you. I've been in contact with a repair facility in Franklin, TN which claims to work on only EV's and hybrids. The friendly owner is retired US Army as I am. Jeff was open about working on my 2012 LEAF, assuming he could find a battery pack. He does not have the equipment to program the system for a substitute larger pack.

His shop is "GrasslandAuto Repair" ([email protected]). He researched at my request today and told me that for the 2012 the only hope is to find a used OEM pack in relatively good condition, i.e.: with a capacity above that of what mine has. I know from the various anecdotes here on this forum, that the early LEAFs have been abandoned by Nissan's feckless EV marketing and support systems over the years.

I am open to shipping the car to a reliable shop which can do the upgrading, but only if they are known and trustworthy. This is a given, of course.

Regards to all,
Dave

Back