Nissan Ariya to be announced for the JDM July 15, 2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
It depends on who they are trying to get to buy the Ariya. If it's young families, then yes. If they are trying for older Americans who want comfort and safety, with an overall experience similar to that of an ICE, then they may get them. Older people who aren't healthy and 'Sporty' would probably tend to choose the Ariya over the Y. I think that Nissan's biggest problem in that case isn't Tesla - it's the established manufacturers like Volvo, Ford, and VW who already have legions of brand- faithful people who for one reason or another will be looking for an EV, and are starting to find them in the showrooms of their favorite brands..

You don’t get much older and non-sporty than yours truly. This month I exceeded 3/4 of a century on this earth, 250 lbs, relying on hearing aid for my one good hearing ear, loosing my eyesight and taking 11 pills a day to stay alive. I selected a Model Y over the Ariya. My 75 year old wife wants to buy her a Model 3 to tun around town in.

By 'non-sporty' I meant "Not interested in spirited driving." Is that you? I still like to drive fast (ish) occasionally, but having driven non-exotic fours all my life I don't need Tesla performance. And being in constant pain tends to prioritize comfort.

I've been pretty consistent about preferring power with comfort over just power. I rode a Suzuki Madura 1200 for almost ten years because that bike had both. It was fast (the second fastest 1200cc Cruiser in a test that included the Yamaha V-Max, which came in first) but it had a comfortable ride, and a tall Overdrive 6th gear that let if loaf along at 90MPH rather than roaring and straining. I also owned - briefly - a Zero SR that could damned near tear your arms off under full power. It also had a small, rock-hard plastic seat, nearly straight bars, and an internal isolation fault that both Zero and the crooked California dealership I bought it from shrugged and let go through. It was very far ahead of the Madura technologically, but it was, overall, a POS in the quality department. It was, IOW, the Tesla M3 of its time. ;)

LeftieBiker said:
... I think that Nissan's biggest problem in that case isn't Tesla - it's the established manufacturers like Volvo, Ford, and VW who already have legions of brand- faithful people who for one reason or another will be looking for an EV, and are starting to find them in the showrooms of their favorite brands..

Very good point. I think Nissan failed to capitalize on its early (LEAF) lead and now its no different than the other established brands in its offering and one could say its even behind as delivery numbers don't seem to be up where Ford & WV and Hyundai/Kia etc are.

I actually saw one on the road today for the first time. Was a weird EV sighting day for me today. Later that day, I saw an i-MiEV, as well. He was behind an ID.4 (not that rare in the Bay Area).

i-MiEVs I can go months w/o seeing one.

Flyct said:
If I had to make a decision today I would pass on the Ariya and buy another Model Y with MSRP below $55k so I could get the tax credit which would make the cost $47,500.

Nissan needs to price the Ariya low $40's to compete.
It looks like they classified the 5 seat MY an SUV now so the limit is now $80k. They also changed the Mach-E and some others to $80k.

Triggerhappy007 said:
Flyct said:
If I had to make a decision today I would pass on the Ariya and buy another Model Y with MSRP below $55k so I could get the tax credit which would make the cost $47,500.

It looks like they classified the 5 seat MY an SUV now so the limit is now $80k. They also changed the Mach-E and some others to $80k.

You have it backwards. GM and Ford lobbied until Biden agreed to use the EPA definition of 'SUV' instead of the NHTSA definition. This was done to give those companies the tax credit for their Ford Mach-E and upcoming GM Blazer EV. Tesla became eligible too, albeit uninvited.

SageBrush said:
Triggerhappy007 said:
Flyct said:

You have it backwards. GM and Ford lobbied until Biden agreed to use the EPA definition of 'SUV' instead of the NHTSA definition. This was done to give those companies the tax credit for their Ford Mach-E and upcoming GM Blazer EV. Tesla became eligible too, albeit uninvited.
Not sure why you're saying I have it backwards. I'm just telling you not to worry about the $55k limit anymore.

Went to the Chicago Autoshow and finally got a ride in an Ariya. Cobbled from parts in the Nissan Lineup, it feels so late to market for what it is or portending to be. I will stick with my Leaf.

While against their ethos, I do think Tesla would benefit from doing the Autoshows.

I saw my first Ariya on the road today. Temp plates so I think it was a purchased car and not just a dealer demo.

I was much more excited to see an 'all electric' city bus on the same trip. I occasionally ride the local bus on my way to/from the airport but I don't think those routes will get electric buses for quite a while. This one was on a more city-wide 'tourist' route. Maybe I'll just jump on it some day since I think it is a ride route.

My local nissan has 2 new Ariyas in stock now. Curious to see whether inventories start appearing beyond preorders.

That said the Nissan Pluses coming into stock still are selling.

Separately, I heard the Ariya advertised on the radio today for the first time. What I thought was interesting was that after the main blurb, in the fast quiet fine verbal print at the end it says that the 4wd version isn't coming for a bit longer, right after selling it as a feature.

I saw an FB ad for 2.xx% APR financing for Ariya. If put in 90210 (not my zip code) into https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/electric-cars/ariya/deals-incentives-offers.html, I see 2.59% APR for 36 months.

goldbrick said:
I saw my first Ariya on the road today. Temp plates so I think it was a purchased car and not just a dealer demo.

I was much more excited to see an 'all electric' city bus on the same trip. I occasionally ride the local bus on my way to/from the airport but I don't think those routes will get electric buses for quite a while. This one was on a more city-wide 'tourist' route. Maybe I'll just jump on it some day since I think it is a ride route.

CU uses a new electric bus on the Stampede route.

Quote a few Ariyas available in the area. Guessing most still with markup. About 30ish Ariyas and another 30ish Leafs.

Early charging tests in the US are also not too encouraging.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4343391415710200/permalink/5853509638031696/?app=fbl

LOL about fraudbook. Unfortunately, it's a private group, so even though I am on FB, I can't see the content unless I join the group.

Googling does reveal some tests like at https://insideevs.com/news/615206/nissan-ariya-91kwh-1000km-challenge/. Don't know why the chart there is missing stuff like the Opel Ampera-e (aka Bolt outside Europe) result. https://youtu.be/Pfy2zA3y95c at 47:04 has the Ampera-e completing his challenge in 13:50.

His chart Leaf 62 kWh is from his winter attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8hwnxzk4c. Per 23:08 of that video, when he did it on Leaf Plus on a much warmer day, it took him 15:30 vs 14:10 in winter.

Exclusive: Nissan's electric comeback stalled by Ariya production woes
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/nissans-electric-comeback-stalled-by-ariya-production-woes-2023-03-10/

"Nissan designed a system that would allow it to produce cars with different powertrains - batteries, hybrids and internal combustion engines - on the same line."

Regarding the above, Leaf has been built on the same line as ICEVs since day 1, likely sometime before in or right before Dec 2010.

I've watched from about 6:00 to about 10:00 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9ABw2BdcaU. Peak charging rate for him was 132 kW. He liked that it doesn't slow down that much even at high SoC. He didn't drop below 55 kW until about 90 or 91% SoC. (Bolt's max is 55 kW).

At ~9:09, he said 0 to 99% in 1 hour and that pretty much on par with every Tesla he's tested. Too bad there's no tax credit for purchasing and if you lease, you can't buy Nissan EVs during or at end of lease any longer: https://www.nissanfinance.com/nmachelp/s/article/Can-I-Purchase-My-Leased-Vehicle?language=en_US.

Back