12v battery replacement recommendations?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just put a sli35/85AGM battery in my leaf. a bit bigger and heavier for sure but lots of reserve power..

Nubo said:
R1200RT said:
Nubo said:
Anything special needed to make it fit?

There is nothing different with the Duracell AGM battery vs the regular Flooded Lead Acid battery in terms of size.

BCI size 35/85 is over an inch and a half wider than 51R

If you remove the current plastic tray and replace it with a Group 35 tray, the group 35 fits. You can install the battery tray and hold down from the Nissan Rogue.

R1200RT said:
Nubo said:

If you remove the current plastic tray and replace it with a Group 35 tray, the group 35 fits. You can install the battery tray and hold down from the Nissan Rogue.

Good to know; thanks!

I took the plunge and installed XS-Power 5100R AGM battery. It's about 25mm wider than the stock battery and required a different battery tie-down to secure the battery. Going to see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

The battery has AH raing of 60Ah vs the factory feeble 30ah. Combined with it being a deep cycle battery it should hold up better to the feeble DC to DC converter.

R1200RT said:
Nubo said:
R1200RT said:
There is nothing different with the Duracell AGM battery vs the regular Flooded Lead Acid battery in terms of size.

didn't even need to do that. my battery came with the height adapter and it fit in the stock battery tray. i did need a wider hold down though but that was a few bucks at amazon.

cconklin1 said:
duracell agm from batteries+

I like this idea a lot. I found we have a Batteries+ store nearby. I never thought to look their. Was the battery you bought manufactured relatively recently? Also, do you happen to have the URL for the hold down you bought on Amazon? Thanks.

Two weeks ago I replaced my 2019 Leaf 12 volt battery with a LIfePO4 battery from Ohmmu. They are selling a direct replacement for the Leaf thru Summitt https://www.summitracing.com/parts/omu-n1240l
So far so good!

fotajoye said:
Two weeks I replaced the my 2019 Leaf 12 volt battery with a LIfePO4 battery from Ohmmu. They are selling a direct replacement for the Leaf thru Summitt https://www.summitracing.com/parts/omu-n1240l
So far so good!
I wonder how they charge in extremely cold temps? I looked all over the link but nothing about cold weather usage.....
The price isn't too bad, maybe a hundred dollars more than a Optima AGM, which I'm not even sure you can get a yellow top, Summitt only seemed to have the red top Optimas.

My car is located in California and is garaged.
The Ohmmu website says: "Tested in extreme climates and automotive conditions for reliability and performance." I think that means it is BMS protected. If low temps are a concern, I would ask if their BMS includes a low Temp Sensor so it doesn't charge below freezing temps. BTW, I have no connections with these people and am not trying to sell their products; I'm just tired of replacing 12 volt batteries and dealing with non-start scenarios, because Nissan hasn't engineered a replacement for the obsolete 12 volt lead/acid battery yet.

I've had Ohmmu's battery in my Leaf for 3.5 years now. Zero problems, and I've used it below freezing many times, below 20F on occasion.

I'm not clear on how they're able to charge LFP chemistry below freezing, but it appears to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wcz5oXY1tY

There are a couple of possibilities: 1: they use a BMS that doesn't allow charging when too cold. That would result in a dead battery fairly soon in frigid climates. 2: I suspect that it has a BMS that allows only a very low charging current in sub-freezing temps, at least until the battery warms from use.

I just checked mine and it was being charged, with the dashboard reporting 27F. Charge rates were less than 1A. So we could be looking at Leftie's second possibility.

But then I think we have to modify that usual "You can't charge LFP below freezing (without damaging them)" statement to "You can't charge LFP very fast below freezing". And I've only ever heard it phrased as the former.

I wonder if there is some possibility of subtle alterations to the chemistry ('doping') to make them more tolerant of cold-temperature charging. We know battery makers alter the NMC ratios to favor different battery characteristics.

Back