In the market for a used Leaf.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Numerous folks have had their 30 kWh packs hit 8 bars even with PC630 / NTB18-039 applied and for quite some time (since around that date of publication of NTB20-001 or slightly earlier) received 40 kWh packs as replacements.

As far as I can tell, it's not rumor. I've not heard of anyone receiving 30 kWh packs as replacements in a very long time.

The more I read, the more ambiguous what the “right” thing to do is.

Big picture, when I bought the car used in 2019 it worked perfectly for my needs and I charged every other day-ish on a normal commute, but more recently have charged every night. The capacity was already degraded a bit when I got it from first owner regularly quick charging, but a level 1 charger has served my needs with an every once in a while charging out and about (like 10 times total in 3 years). I’m somewhat familiar with the 80/20 theory but didn’t follow the 80% part since I pretty quickly needed the full capacity if I did much beyond my normal commute in a day. Maybe I’m just naive, but I also am unsure how to “stop at 80%” with only a level 1 charger? I did my best to not hit 20, but again, some days needed more.

Fast forward to now having battery replaced under warranty. Not only is it at full capacity (which I never had) but was also bumped from 30 to 40 kWh. I’m now realizing my level 1 charger can’t “fill up” over night like I could previously so I’m likely in need of a level 2 unit. I have a dryer outlet in my garage, just need to research which is best option for me.

But in general, is it recommended to:

• use the full 80 - 20 (ish) before charging; or
  • regularly top off while staying between 80/20

use the full 80 - 20 (ish) before charging; or

regularly top off while staying between 80/20

You can guiltlessly recharge whenever it drops below 60% in Winter, or 50% in Summer. If the battery is Hot, then wait for it to cool back to the middle range of the gauge first, if possible. Deep discharge-charge cycles are fine once in a while, but there is no real need to do them intentionally. Somewhat shallower cycles that stay below the top range of the State of Charge (SOC) are better.

Oh, and when you need 100% of the charge, use a charge timer to have the 100% charge end soon before you leave for work, or wherever.

LeftieBiker said:

use the full 80 - 20 (ish) before charging; or

regularly top off while staying between 80/20

You can guiltlessly recharge whenever it drops below 60% in Winter, or 50% in Summer. If the battery is Hot, then wait for it to cool back to the middle range of the gauge first, if possible. Deep discharge-charge cycles are fine once in a while, but there is no real need to do them intentionally. Somewhat shallower cycles that stay below the top range of the State of Charge (SOC) are better.

Oh, and when you need 100% of the charge, use a charge timer to have the 100% charge end soon before you leave for work, or wherever.

This looks like fair advice to me, but in case there are people reading this who also own non LEAF EVs, Lefty's advice should be read as LEAF only. This is true because the LEAF does not have active cooling. My Bolt actively conditions the battery when I plug in**, so I end up with a trade-off: I can cool down the battery immediately after a drive, but I have to accept higher than otherwise needed average SoC over time.

**Unless I set delayed charging. Grrr, GM

Back