2012 Leaf 62kwh conversion risks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mhunter34771

Hello, I'm considering buying this 2012 Leaf with a 62kwh conversion done to it.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/475857694635489/?mibextid=dXMIcH
He used the Evs Enhanced battery translator to do the conversion. I talked to him for a bit and he's said he's done hundreds of conversations, but I'm not sure of the risks of this particular upgrade. Do any of you have experience with possible drawbacks of this conversion?

Well it's a huge price for a very old car to start with, battery aside.

As for risks, the 62kWh battery needs metal spacers/runners making up and fitting between the chassis and battery, as it's deeper, so not a straight swap like the lower capacity batteries are, so it would be good to see some pictures of his fabrication work for this.

The original underbody panels don't fit either, you have to fit the ones from the later 2018 onward 62kWh Leaf, so find out if that was done, or if they are now just missing or the originals have been hacked back on.

Check if the rear springs have been changed to the ones from the later 62kWh car as the extra battery weight is too much for the originals.

Electrically, it's plug and play plus the can bridge, so unlikely to be any issues there as long as it's working OK to start with.

Hope this helps.

@favguy summed it up well: the risks are primarily mechanical, not electrical.
I have done a similar "upgrade" to a 40 kWh pack...albeit with a different CAN-bridge translator (Dala). Mechanically, the 40 kWh pack is very solid (basically an exact match save the bottom covers which only differ in where the holes/screws go).

Not for this price. You can easily buy a bolt with the same range, active battery thermal management and more features for less.

Back