2012 Leaf Heating Issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdberg1

I just purchased a 2012 Leaf here in South Carolina, USA and was told the "heat is slow". Well, there is no heat. There are no DTC's with LeafSpy Pro. On the Energy screen, nothing changes on the HVAC scale when I turn the heat on and off. There is a change when I turn the A/C on.

I've asked in a couple of Facebook groups, but people keep referring me to the links for replacing the PTC heater module under the dash of the 2013 and above.

As I understand it, the 2012 cabin heater is under the 12V battery by the left wheel well. Is that what I should be troubleshooting? I've seen Dala's video on replacing the heater, but then it turns out something else was bad. Is there a way to troubleshoot the controls before going into replacing the heater?

Does anyone have access to the factory service manual and can give me screenshots of troubleshooting no heat on a 2012?

Thank you. I've got much to learn and am thankful for sites like this.

I found a site to download the service manuals at: https://ownersmanuals2.com/make/nissan/leaf-2012-372.

I'll let you know when I get my heat fixed.

Resistance heater failure is common among 2011-12 Leafs. There are several (very old) threads on the forum around diagnosing/replacement/etc: I recommend you check them out (although the Dala videos are good as well). Unfortunately, it's not an easy (or cheap) fix.
Good luck!

A very long shot but I'd also check around the dash for a small switch, mine is on the driver's footwell side of the console. As the '11/'12 Leafs didn't have a way of turning off the heater, when the fan is on, Thor from Norway came up with an ingenious switch that you'd splice in under the dash and mount it generally around the power button area. It would fool the heater into thinking the loop temp was warm and turn the heater off. I put one in my '12 and use it to this day when I want to have a little fan but don't want to kill my range running the large 6kw heater.
Something easy to check for anyway. Otherwise as mentioned, heater problems can get quite costly and aren't the easiest to troubleshoot.

Back