Battery warranty replacement claim - how to begin?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right before Christmas I was informed by local dealership that corporate told them parts will arrive by the end of the year. We both laughed and agreed that wasn’t too many days away, but we shall see.

I got approval for battery replacement late last month. But dealer couldn't give an ETA. I called Nissan headquarter this week. I was told ETA is April.

Still waiting, but hopefully it’ll be soon since they seemed hopeful around Christmas.

I think I got approved around July. So far it’s been drivable for me though so not a ton of inconvenience yet. But my range keeps shrinking which eventually will become an issue if nothing happens soon.

Currently I can get to work and back twice with zero extras like heater or going out to lunch.

I'm still waiting since early August. The car has low cells so when it's below freezing it's barely drivable and around 20 it just starts and turtle mode. Nissan corporate can't provide me a tracking number for my battery yet they assure me February 10th it'll be there at the dealership. Sure

dang10010 said:
I'm still waiting since early August. The car has low cells so when it's below freezing it's barely drivable and around 20 it just starts and turtle mode. Nissan corporate can't provide me a tracking number for my battery yet they assure me February 10th it'll be there at the dealership. Sure

Trans-pacific shipping does not have fedex type customer facing tracking, but they do know if the battery is on the ship. If there is any inaccuracy in the date when the package is at the dealer, it happens during the transport from ship to dealership. If the estimated date is not spot on, it will be close unless something unusual happens, e.g. a labor strike at the receiving port.

Good to know. My original date was December 31st 2022. Now when I talk to corporate I'll have a little more info on what to ask and why. Thank you.

Hi all,

Joined just to jump in and well, complain.

I have a 2016 Leaf (30kWh) and I've lost the requisite number of bars, Leafspy tells me "no fresh error codes and your SOH on the battery is 64.57% - below the 66% needed to trigger the warranty." I also checked the battery controlled info and it has all the latest patches applied.

So my first trip to the dealer was unfruitful - They said the 12v battery was low and couldn't diagnose due to error codes from that, so I paid the extortion fee (battery and diagnostic charge) to have that replaced and hopefully to grease the way into a replacement main battery.

Brought it back a week later and after a one day delay they say they've submitted the claim to "The warranty department" and I have to wait. And wait.

I've already got a case going with Nissan Customer Service after the first runaround with the 12v battery, but they aren't much help as they now say it's outside their control.

Meanwhile the dealer is saying "looks like you're getting a new battery but they want us to drain it first and send it to a service center" - and then two weeks of waiting and no additional info.

So I'm out a car and am "on the waiting list for a loaner" from the dealer. Repeated calls to Nissan haven't born any fruit either and calls to the 'regional customer rep' haven't resulted in any calls back.

Kind of a nightmare, TBH.

Update on the above post -

We finally got a loaner car (a Nissan Rogue, aka "The anti-LEAF") but the most interesting development was that the dealer service rep said two things:
  • There's 4 to 6 month wait on a new battery (expected)
  • They may try and refurbish the existing battery (unexpected).

The second item is a bit of a surprise, but it may just be that they are looking for obvious defects that could be more easily repaired. I'm curious if this will affect me since (at least according to LeafSpy) there were no bad cells, just a general, across the board loss of capacity.

From this forum (and elsewhere) this possible refurbishment seems like a new twist. Anyone else run into this?

krush40 said:
Dropped mine off today.

Also got a loaner.

Picked it up today. Turns out I did get upgraded to a 40 kWh battery which is pretty great considering I bought it used and never saw the full capacity of the smaller battery. It has very little mileage on new battery so far but the guess-o-meter thing estimated 170ish miles on full charge.

First world problems, but I’ve only ever had the level one charger it came with which was plenty for me to charge what I needed. (Every other day when I first got car and more recently every night.) But now there’ll be days between when I need to charge as well as a much bigger capacity to actually charge “overnight” when I do making me needing to figure out a new rotation. I also need to do some research on “new battery care” etc.

johnoffen said:
Kind of a nightmare, TBH.

Sorry you’re having a rough go of it.

The first dealer I tried to have take care of mine didn’t seem interested so I didn’t push it on them. Luckily I have plenty nearby to choose from being in a major metro area.

Second dealer was great, although took since July when we got authorization. Lucky for me the car still functioned for my needs so I wasn’t without a car while I waited.

Hope your tides turn soon.

krush40 said:
krush40 said:
Dropped mine off today.

Also got a loaner.
Picked it up today. Turns out I did get upgraded to a 40 kWh battery which is pretty great considering I bought it used and never saw the full capacity of the smaller battery. It has very little mileage on new battery so far but the guess-o-meter thing estimated 170ish miles on full charge.
Yep, inline with NTB20-001: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171230-0001.pdf.

Definitely, it is great to look for 30 kWh Leafs at 9 bars with enough time and mileage left to hit 8 bars AND with PC630 / NTB18-039 already applied.

This language as always been around - at least as long as the capacity warranty, anyway. While Nissan has the option to just replace bad cells, they only do so when the pack is fine except for one or two bad cells. In typical cases of capacity loss, they have always replaced the whole pack.

LeftieBiker said:
This language as always been around - at least as long as the capacity warranty, anyway. While Nissan has the option to just replace bad cells, they only do so when the pack is fine except for one or two bad cells. In typical cases of capacity loss, they have always replaced the whole pack.

Then I'll likely be getting a new (40kWh) battery as LeafSpy wasn't reporting any bad cells (Okay, maybe one, as far as I can see): https://imgur.com/a/UWhZjfP

Good to know, thanks!

The Nissan Leaf has a battery warranty that covers capacity loss. According to Nissan, the warranty covers capacity loss to less than 9 bars or 70% of the original capacity, whichever occurs first, for the first 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first). Based on your description, it sounds like you may be eligible for a battery replacement under warranty.

ThomasJones said:
The Nissan Leaf has a battery warranty that covers capacity loss. According to Nissan, the warranty covers capacity loss to less than 9 bars or 70% of the original capacity, whichever occurs first, for the first 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first). Based on your description, it sounds like you may be eligible for a battery replacement under warranty.

There is no percentage loss trigger. Just less than 9 bars
A longer 8 yr/100k degradation warranty is given to SV/SL 30 kWh LEAFs and all 40+ kWh LEAFs. The longer warranty is high value for the 30 kWh LEAF

2ndLeaf said:
I got approval for battery replacement late last month. But dealer couldn't give an ETA. I called Nissan headquarter this week. I was told ETA is April.

Dropped mine off in Early Jan and I'm still waiting on an ETA (let alone a new battery) anyone else having (or had) issues getting an estimated date? Even the dealer doesn't have one yet.

Most annoying part: They've assigned me a caseworker who is sending me weekly updates saying "there' no update to the ETA." - meanwhile I don't even have an ETA!

I called the support line to complain. We'll see if anything comes of it.

SageBrush said:
johnoffen said:
Most annoying part:

That seems easy to fix. Tell them you do no want any updates.

Be careful what you wish for :shock:

Latest news: They can't offer me an ETA and I've been sent to their arbitration department to negotiate a buyback.

I flat-out told them if the offer isn't enough for a lightly used Leaf with 110+ miles of range I'll probably have to lawyer up.

Has anyone else faced this?

Back