12 Volt Battery Lead/Acid Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotajoye

I drove a 2011 Leaf for 10 years before trading it for a 2019 Leaf S. During that time I had to replace the 12 Volt battery twice, the second one was a sealed AGM type...that's three 12 volt Lead Acid batteries that let me down and wouldn't start the car.
Two weeks ago The 2019 car let me down for the same reason and I had to call emergency services for a jump start--yes, you got it, a weak Lead acid battery; this time I decided enough of this planned obsolescence by the battery makers and Nissan. I replaced the battery with a LIfePO4 battery from Ohmmu.
So far so good!
I checked the voltage on the battery for about a week and found that the drain on the battery runs about .02 volts per day to power the shutoff/power up electronics. After driving the car about 20 miles, I arrived back home with a fully charged 12 Volt battery.
My advice is to not let your Leaf sit for too long without driving it, especially if you still use a 12 volt lead/acid battery because it will sulfate and slowly lose the ability to store a strong charge. And when the lead/acid battery goes bad, and it will in time, consider replacing it with a good quality LFP.

Yes, Along with carrying a phone in the car, I also bought one of those and added that, a voltmeter, jumper cables and a portable tire pump to an emergency bag I now carry in the booth. I don't like waiting for road service if I can help it.

Back