B mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jratzlaf

I just got a ’21 Leaf, after having a ‘16 for 4 years (and loving it). I used B mode all the time to get as close as I could to one pedal driving (obviously not very close). Now in my new one I use e-pedal mode all the time and love it. But B mode is still there as an option… even when I have e-pedal mode on. Is there any point to that? It seems redundant to me, and useless. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the responses. I did a quick test the other day. Going down a slight incline, at a speed of 35mph or so, in e-pedal mode, I let up enough on the accelerator to get about halfway into the regen zone (meaning halfway from the neutral line to max regen). Then I shifted back and forth between D and B modes. The regen amount did not change. As a result, I’m reaching the conclusion that B mode means nothing when you’re in e-pedal mode. Try it yourself and see what you think. (When I did that same test with my first-gen Leaf, which didn’t have e-pedal mode, there was a dramatic difference between D and B modes.)

Hi, I would agree with you. I drive a 2018 ZE1 and B mode in epedal does nothing for me.

In the second video I posted above, the brakes lights DO NOT COME ON when decelerating in B mode UNTIL you press the brake pedal.

Some distracted driver behind you may not see that hard declaration in B mode if you don't press and hold the brake pedal down.

The above is true, but it's also always been true of people with manual transmissions slowing abruptly by downshifting to Second or First. For that matter there is absolutely no warning light when someone accelerates abruptly. There are now G-sensing taillights available for bicycles, for motorcycles, and for cars...

LeftieBiker said:
The above is true, but it's also always been true of people with manual transmissions slowing abruptly by downshifting to Second or First. For that matter there is absolutely no warning light when someone accelerates abruptly. There are now G-sensing taillights available for bicycles, for motorcycles, and for cars...

yes, and some large trucks and busses have a blink yellow light in the middle for this situation....to avoid an accident!

Nissan should have the brake light activation the same for both B and D mode deceleration.... IMHO

I drive in B mode almost all the time. If I want to light the brake lights while slowing down, I just step on the brake pedal. The only time I was hit from behind was in my 2011 while I was stopped at a red traffic light with my foot on the brake and all 3 brake lights on. Distracted driver did not see the red traffic light or my red brake lights until too late.

FWIW, I don't care for e-pedal (and rarely use it) because it is too easy to let off the accelerator a little too much and have e-pedal apply the brakes aggressively.

So far in my 2023 LEAF I always drive in B mode and average 4:8 around town. How would epedal improve my driving experience?

Back