Clacking sound on start/stop around front wheel/brake area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorintri

Hi, 2 mo old SV+ here with barely 1500 mi on board.

I hear a distinct clacking sound on start/stop on what seems to be the wheel/brake areas, right front. Since I'm driving when this happens I cannot pinpoint the location precisely but it sounds to me like it could be the brake pads engaging and disengaging. It only happens on the front passenger side and it's less noticeable (but still distinct) when I have the E-Pedal engaged.

I know it's not normal but anybody else experience this? Should be a reason for concern, warrant a trip to the dealer to have it checked under warranty?

TIA

On "the other" forum I got a suggestion it might be this?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199148-0001.pdf
Hard to believe Nissan has the same issue going strong for 12 yrs, not yet remediated

I honestly don't know how a clicking axle sounds but there's definitely clicking there. And the axle is located in that general area so yes, it is all too possible

My 2017 Leaf has made a click noise quite often when starting since the day I bought it. I assume it's the axle nut but it's so slight that I haven't bothered to have it looked at. In my case, it's a single 'click' when starting. I don't know if I could even hear it over a normal ICE and it hasn't changed in 5+ years. I'd say that is normal. If you are hearing repeated noises like 'clack - clack - clack -.....' or 'clickety-clackety, clickety-clackety' on startup I'd get that checked ASAP.

Hey, I have a click/clacking Leaf. But it is 7 years old. I have done nothing about it. It is only when setting off, and I would say only after having applied the brakes. So I had assumed that it was a brake pad lubrication issue. As the brakes are rarely used on these EVs they don't get hot and stay clean. I just figured the pads were clinging to the discs and being removed with a click when resuming rolling. I think there was a reference to this made by James and Kate in their guide to servicing a Leaf on the tube:

https://youtu.be/WofULBSGc2o

No idea if that applies to the newer ones.

But hold on, as your car is brand new, why are you asking us instead of just asking Nissan to sort it?

sorintri said:
On "the other" forum I got a suggestion it might be this?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199148-0001.pdf
Hard to believe Nissan has the same issue going strong for 12 yrs, not yet remediated

Yeah, you'd hope not. probably a one-off if I had to guess and not a widespread issue, but I'd certainly have it checked.

It's not unusual to hear a click if starting off from park, particularly if you're using the epedal as brake pressure is applied when you stop. The pads can stick a bit, particularly if the disks were wet when you parked. The pads do have a small amount of float in the calipers so they may also make a slight click if reversing direction and applying the brakes. This is something you should not be able to hear if the windows are closed, but may be noticeable in a closed garage with windows open. A louder or repetitive "clack" is definitively not normal. Pad play is pretty easy to detect as you would hear just one click, and it would normally only repeat when you change direction (forward or reverse) with a stop in between.

Back