Charger Suggestion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockKnoll

Hello, I just bought a 2017 S series Leaf, and have a few charging questions.

I am looking for an easy way to charge it to 80% most of the time.
The dealer showed it having NissanConnect, but I read some posts suggesting that was no longer supported for the 2017 S series. Do you know if that’s correct? If it’s still viable, can you suggest a link for some instructions on how to use it? Nissan.com doesn’t have anything and my dealer doesn’t seem to know much either.

I know I can set the timer to achieve 100% charge an hour after need to depart in the morning, but it will be my wife’s car and with her changing schedule, this would turn into a point of contention, which I’d rather avoid.

I saw the following link:
myelectriccarforums.com/electric-vehicle-charger/
And it looks like the Juice box might be the best for my needs. But so far I haven’t gotten much info from them (to be fair though, has been over the holidays.)

So, what I think I’d like is a charger than can:

Charge to 80% most of the time, and 100% other times.
Would be nice to see how many kWh it consumes.
Lastly, to cooperate with our next EV, might be nice to have coordinate with that one so they charge at different times.

BTW, I’ll be installing a 90 amp feeder to the garage circuit panel, so will have plenty of juice to work with, getting ready for a ford lightning or who knows what!

Any suggestions for other options would be nice for a charger if the Leaf can’t do smart charging?

I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, none of the Leaf S trim cars have ever had telematics - the ability to use a cell modem to access Nissan's servers. Salespeople who say that they do are either misinformed or not telling the truth. Omitting the heat pump and the telematics systems are the main way that Nissan saves money on the S to offer a lower price. Now for the good news: there are smart charging stations (the actual "charger" is built into the car, with the external system that provides power to it called an "EVSE") that can connect to WiFi and start or stop charging with a command that way. Some of them can stop at 80% charge, but they need to be "told" what the state of charge (SOC) is when they are connected to the car.

Thanks, for confirming what I suspected. Looks like the "Juicebox" will do that. I'll dig in their website for more details.

Back