An EVSE with no relays

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

Something I found on YouTube not long ago -- a series of videos describing an EVSE that works with NO relays, nor anything else interrupting the flow of power from the source. It does all the signalling, but it doesn't actually shut off the current at any point. And I wondered... is that a legitimate interpretation of J1772? And whether it is or not -- will it always work, in practice? Insight appreciated.

I'm not sure where to find an overall list of the videos, or a web page dedicated to the device, but here's one video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdK0bfTGi6M

(I think the fact that he ended up using an Arduino slightly undermines the "minimalist" description, and I'm not digging the batteries, but it's still a very interesting device.)

wmcbrine said:
91040 said:
Yes, it violates the J1772 protocol and can be unsafe.
Can you elaborate?

The setup is blind and deaf, but not dumb.
The author has a test rig to learn about the car's response to 1 Kz PWM sent on the pilot wire; he is NOT going to use it that way unsupervised.

He wants to charge the car directly with solar panels first run through an inverter that outputs AC at a voltage the car OBC can handle, at varying amperage. I think the first serious problem he will run into is the car will at times try to pull more Amps than the panels can supply.

That setup on youtube would not "work" properly because the point of the EVSE is to disconnect the power when the EV signals that it is not charging (or something breaks the signal), otherwise, it would be live wire on the end of the plug at all times and you could get a "spark" every-time you unplugged or plug in the EV that would eventually destroy the connectors.

Back