What happens if you push the Park button while moving?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9spud

What happens if you push the Park mode button while the car is moving?

What does the Park button do anyway? Does it actually physically engage some type of movement locking mechanism? Or is it just another software mode like D/B/R modes?

IIRC, the Park mechanism is much like that of an ICE's automatic transmission. There is a "pawl" that slips into the notches in the reduction gear that makes up most of the Leaf's "transmission." As for trying to engage Park while the car is moving, I think it's similar to what would happen with a automatic ICE transmission: if going fast, it would make noise as the parking pawl tried but failed to engage a gear tooth. If the car were moving slowly enough for that to happen, it would be both loud and Expensive, as the parking pawl succeeded in engaging the gear, and likely breaking apart as a result.

Toby said:
Is there no electronic safety built in to prevent one doing that?

There is, no one is sure what the max speed is though. I don't know anyone that wants to volunteer test it either. :?

LeftieBiker said:
Any car thieves here...? Just kidding!
Maybe not here but at least in my city there are plenty of Hyundai/Kia thieves around. Thefts were up 10-fold last year as the Korean mfg'd cars are extremely easy to hotwire and steal, for those scum inclined to do such things. Even for the limited Korean cars with engine immobilizers owners are reporting 1000s of dollars of damage due to idiot thieves breaking the windows and steering columns trying to hotwire them only to quit in frustration.
I have a CLUB wrapped for my daughter for xmas for her Ionic PHEV which does have an immobilizer but again nothing to stop someone from trying. I figure if they see the CLUB they hopefully will pass. Now to install some sort of CatGuard or CatStrap for my Rav4 Prime which unlike my other daughter's CRV(which has the cat mounted directly to the exhaust manifold up front and can only be accessed by opening up the hood) is EXTREMELY easy to steal as not only is the vehicle higher up, they put the exhaust system and cat on one side of the vehicle, right behind the rocker panel. Nice they made it so the potential thief doesn't even have to bother jacking up the car :(
But no on being the test person on putting my Leaf in park while in motion. Heck, I never really put my Leafs or Prius in park but just push the power button, which basically puts it in park and turns it off. Unfortunately, I can't do that on my RAV4 Prime as it's a physical shifter. I forget and turn it off while in gear but it's a no-go! Gotta push the shifter to park to turn it off. The Chrysler Pacifica PHEV I drove was similar, it used a rotary shift knob and didn't like me trying to turn it off without turning the knob to park.

knightmb said:
Toby said:

There is, no one is sure what the max speed is though. I don't know anyone that wants to volunteer test it either. :?
You are both basically correct.
I have (accidentally) engaged park at a few miles per hour; I have also been told that it ignores that command > 10 miles/hour (or so).
Not going to test again. :oops:

Stanton said:
knightmb said:
Toby said:

You are both basically correct.
I have (accidentally) engaged park at a few miles per hour; I have also been told that it ignores that command > 10 miles/hour (or so).
Not going to test again. :oops:

Looking at some older post, the Gen 1 would not engage the parking "pin" at speeds more than 6 mph. So similar to the camera system speed wise, but even at 6 mph, you would get a lot of loud clicking until that pin found a "spot" and then probably would skid tires or rock back and forth for a while. :lol: :?

Yikes. That P (self destruct mode) button seems to be in a really poor location IMO. :shock: :eek:

If I'm shifting into N to coast for more energy savings (and subsequently shift into D/B more often), there is a chance I might accidently hit that P button in the middle of the shifter joystick unintentionally.

How hard would it be to disable the P button and re-route it somewhere else?

jjeff said:
I have a CLUB wrapped for my daughter for xmas for her Ionic PHEV which does have an immobilizer but again nothing to stop someone from trying. I figure if they see the CLUB they hopefully will pass.

Good luck with that. I bought the CLUB and used it for several years until I found out just how easily it can be defeated. And I wasn't even trying.

If you are really concerned about engaging Park by accident, try this: cover the knob part of the shifter with thick, stiff rubber, then zip tie it in place. That will greatly increase the amount of effort required to press the button far enough to engage P.

k9spud said:
Yikes. That P (self destruct mode) button seems to be in a really poor location IMO. :shock: :eek:

If I'm shifting into N to coast for more energy savings (and subsequently shift into D/B more often), there is a chance I might accidently hit that P button in the middle of the shifter joystick unintentionally.

How hard would it be to disable the P button and re-route it somewhere else?

I had similar concerns initially but It's really not an issue. Per the service manual, the parking actuator will not engage unless the speed is 5km/h (3MPH) or less. And I don't recall any instance of someone grenading their LEAF gearbox from an accidental press of the parking button in the 14 years I've been viewing this forum.

Back