12V battery - what circuits does it power?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't even think about the hood latch since it has to be open to get the VOM on the battery terminals. Maybe it is waiting for the charge port to be opened? Too many things it's tiny brain is still checking for a few minutes. Or maybe it just has trouble going to sleep? It must be powering down to a trickle because it starts fine a day or so later. May be a different matter with 6 inches of snow and day temp in the 20s.

Curious question - are there EV battery heaters? Cold states have block heaters to keep gas buggy engines able to start at zeroF. Oh yeah Leafs have passive Li temp control.....

gwscheil said:
Didn't even think about the hood latch since it has to be open to get the VOM on the battery terminals. Maybe it is waiting for the charge port to be opened? Too many things it's tiny brain is still checking for a few minutes. Or maybe it just has trouble going to sleep? It must be powering down to a trickle because it starts fine a day or so later. May be a different matter with 6 inches of snow and day temp in the 20s.

Curious question - are there EV battery heaters? Cold states have block heaters to keep gas buggy engines able to start at zeroF. Oh yeah Leafs have passive Li temp control.....

No sleep mode without the hood closed (being latched).

How sure are you of this? I've seen evidence that the car goes to sleep after ~20 minutes, hood open or closed. I also don't believe that there is a hood latch sensor...

LeftieBiker said:

How sure are you of this? I've seen evidence that the car goes to sleep after ~20 minutes, hood open or closed. I also don't believe that there is a hood latch sensor...

That's been my experience. It's simple to try it both ways.

This was tested on my Gen II Leaf(s), it's roughly 15 minutes for the Leaf to go to sleep.

About half-way down this topic I created...
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=32820&start=10

knightmb said:
This was tested on my Gen II Leaf(s), it's roughly 15 minutes for the Leaf to go to sleep.

About half-way down this topic I created...
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=32820&start=10

That seems excessive, i.e. my '13 Leap was down to about 60ma in about 5 minutes.Typically, a sleep mode
is considered to occur when the current drops below 100ma. It would have been helpful to provide current
levels as a function of time. Your meter indicated 12ma at the 15 minute point. The utility of determining
a sleep current is to evaluate an abnormal current draw, e.g. amps, causing a depleted battery once the
vehicle is powered down over time.

lorenfb said:
That seems excessive, i.e. my '13 Leap was down to about 60ma in about 5 minutes.Typically, a sleep mode
is considered to occur when the current drops below 100ma. It would have been helpful to provide current
levels as a function of time. Your meter indicated 12ma at the 15 minute point. The utility of determining
a sleep current is to evaluate an abnormal current draw, e.g. amps, causing a depleted battery once the

There was no curve, it's instant. It depends on what is running and when it shuts off. I think the Nissan telematics is what is causing the +2 watt drain for 15 minutes on mine, but I suspect if one had that disabled on their Leaf, the sleep mode might kick in a lot sooner? I'm not really sure about that part, never tested it. It is interesting that it only takes 0.158 watts of power to keep the Leaf "awake" enough to respond to the key FOB (door lock or unlock for example) and catch cellular data updates to pre-heat/cool the Leaf, charge, etc. :cool:

knightmb said:
lorenfb said:

There was no curve, it's instant. It depends on what is running and when it shuts off. I think the Nissan telematics is what is causing the +2 watt drain for 15 minutes on mine, but I suspect if one had that disabled on their Leaf, the sleep mode might kick in a lot sooner? I'm not really sure about that part, never tested it. It is interesting that it only takes 0.158 watts of power to keep the Leaf "awake" enough to respond to the key FOB (door lock or unlock for example) and catch cellular data updates to pre-heat/cool the Leaf, charge, etc. :cool:

The typical flooded acid battery capacity of a 51R is about 36 Ahrs. At a "+2W drain", that's about 166ma.
At the ".158 watts of power" drain, that's about 13ma. At a half capacity of a 51R of 18 Ahr, that's about 108 hrs,
and over a 1000 hrs at 13ma. For someone trying to determine the source of a >+1 amp problematic drain,
being concerned about a sleep time over 3-5 minutes is naive.

Back