Newbie with a Trailer Wiring Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNA99

Hi all, thanks for the add.

My wife bought a 2018 SV new and we liked it so much that I bought a 2015 SL last year. I’m now putting a tow hitch on it for a tiny trailer to assist with Home Depot runs and I have a question about wiring.

I bought a wiring kit that’s pretty much plug and play, but I’m wondering what the best route is to wire to the battery? As I understand it typical options are:

Route straight underneath and then up to the battery once at the motor compartment.

Through the cabin along the door sill then through firewall.

Through centre of cabin then through firewall.

Anyone done this before?

Suggestions?

It’s cold outside so I haven’t scoped it out yet. I’m hoping to have a plan ready in advance.

Thanks!

Why do you need to connect the cable to the battery? I thought a typical trailer wiring harness setup just tapped into the brake and tail light wires of the towing vehicle. A ground connection is also obviously needed but that can be found almost anywhere.

Sounds like it's because of the LED tail lights. Any car with LED tail lights doesn't provide enough amps from the lights to be usable for the trailer. So you install a Modulite that receives the signal from the tail lights only, then draws amps directly from the 12V battery to power the lights in the trailer. In these cases, you need to run a wire under the car to the 12V battery.

DNA99 said:
I bought a wiring kit that’s pretty much plug and play, but I’m wondering what the best route is to wire to the battery? As I understand it typical options are:

I was going to go that route until I just decided instead of replace all the trailer lights with LED and then the straight wiring from the car lights work great without the extra power box wired off the 12V battery. To each their own of course, but I went the path of least resistance for me. :mrgreen:

Back