Aligning doors on leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMF5000

My wife's old shape (2016) leaf had the passenger door slammed forward by a gust of strong wind as she was exiting, and now the door makes a dull "thud" noise when closed that it didn't before. It seems that the end is now sagging about 5mm, so the top of the latch slot of is hitting the striker, rather than the slot being centrally aligned with the striker so it enters smoothly.

From reading here and looking at youtube videos I'm fairly certain how to adjust it back by loosening the nuts holding the door hinges to the body, using a hydraulic jack and a piece of wood to prop up the door, and re-tightening the nuts.

But this got me curious and I checked the hinges on my new shape (2022) leaf. It seems like they did everything they could to make it impossible to get to the door hinge bolts without removing the front fenders. The hinge itself has deep flanges top and bottom that obscure the bolt heads, and the whole thing is located very, very far forward well behind the fender. And the rear doors are even worse - the top hinges are actually riveted rather than bolted!

Has anyone successfully carried out this operation on their leaf? Am I doomed if it happens on the new leaf? Seems like repairability really took a hit with new leaf. It's already shocking that on the new leaf all the tailgate trim has to come out simply to replace the number plate lights whereas the old leaf had simply tool-less click-out light holders that you release externally...

Back