What will my 2022 Leaf SL Plus bring in?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeyondBeLeaf

Well, as much as I've enjoyed time with my Leaf, I wish it had a few features even though when new it was the top trim level. I'm looking at a new Bolt EUV with the Premier package and the sunroof. The only feature that it's missing is the Super Cruise, which I'm fine not using. Back in August I took the vehicle to a Nissan dealership and they offered me $38K with 5,000 miles on the odometer. I'm fast approaching 10,000 miles and with the downturn of the used car market, I'm expecting considerably less money. My guess is maybe $33K-$35K. The part that might actually kill the entire deal is if the interest rate of the Bolt is too high to make the numbers work. Right now I'm enjoying a lovely 0% financing and have seen nothing less than 4.9%. While I'd love to have the features not available on the Leaf, I don't know if I can bring myself to pull the trigger on an extra 5% finance rate. Based on the numbers, it would add about $4000 to the cost of the vehicle.

BeyondBeLeaf said:
Well, as much as I've enjoyed time with my Leaf, I wish it had a few features even though when new it was the top trim level. I'm looking at a new Bolt EUV with the Premier package and the sunroof. The only feature that it's missing is the Super Cruise, which I'm fine not using. Back in August I took the vehicle to a Nissan dealership and they offered me $38K with 5,000 miles on the odometer. I'm fast approaching 10,000 miles and with the downturn of the used car market, I'm expecting considerably less money. My guess is maybe $33K-$35K. The part that might actually kill the entire deal is if the interest rate of the Bolt is too high to make the numbers work. Right now I'm enjoying a lovely 0% financing and have seen nothing less than 4.9%. While I'd love to have the features not available on the Leaf, I don't know if I can bring myself to pull the trigger on an extra 5% finance rate. Based on the numbers, it would add about $4000 to the cost of the vehicle.

Carvana was a big driver of those prices and the company stock just crashed recently, so with them and others like them, the used car prices are falling quick to probably more "sane" levels as you can no longer sell your used car for more than you paid for it for the most part. I might be wrong, but I do remember reading about it recently in a business report. You sound like you are in a financial pickle, so it's up to you what works best for your budget. A similar Leaf to yours with the same mileage, same trim, still cost about $39K used, so factor in profit that the dealership, Caravana want, you might still be close to your original price, but I wouldn't spend too much time deciding if used resell value is your goal with your Leaf.

knightmb said:
BeyondBeLeaf said:

Carvana was a big driver of those prices and the company stock just crashed recently, so with them and others like them, the used car prices are falling quick to probably more "sane" levels as you can no longer sell your used car for more than you paid for it for the most part. I might be wrong, but I do remember reading about it recently in a business report. You sound like you are in a financial pickle, so it's up to you what works best for your budget. A similar Leaf to yours with the same mileage, same trim, still cost about $39K used, so factor in profit that the dealership, Caravana want, you might still be close to your original price, but I wouldn't spend too much time deciding if used resell value is your goal with your Leaf.

I don't know if I would say I'm in a financial pickle, but selling the Leaf and getting into the Bolt might cost me a little more. The Bolt as I have it optioned will cost me about $32K (employee discount) but with the $4000 in interest, it'll put me close to the amount that I'm hoping to get on the Leaf. Given that the Bolt will have a sunroof and ventilated seats, where the Leaf does not, I figure it'll be worth the price. Also, there is an off chance that I'll get another tax break (bought my Leaf in December to qualify for the credit in 2021) so I figure I might as well take the deal. Ultimately, in about a year my Blazer EV order will hopefully be here, and I figure a 16 month Leaf as a trade-in might not be as lucrative as a 6 month Bolt trade in (dealerships like paying a little more for their brands in trade-ins). I might just wind up staying with the Bolt if it impresses me enough. I just wish the Leaf came with some of the options that I am getting in the Bolt, or else I would most likely have just kept the Leaf.

Gen2 Leaf supply at carvana has certainly shot up. Not sure who is buying a 22 Plus for close to 40k used.

I priced my SV+ a month ago at Carvana with 22K miles. They offered me 21K.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Gen2 Leaf supply at carvana has certainly shot up. Not sure who is buying a 22 Plus for close to 40k used.

I priced my SV+ a month ago at Carvana with 22K miles. They offered me 21K.

In my market anyway, Carvana is flooded with older Leafs. They will still buy them but pay rock-bottom prices. Not that they have started selling their stock any cheaper, in my case for a '13 they offered me 5.5k for, they have similar or worse ones listed for 12k :roll: I think they figure if they get them cheap enough they can afford to hold onto them for a bit or even lower the selling price. The price they offered for my '12 and '13 recently was about 2k less than early summer :(

Just as a point of reference, last month I traded in our 2020 SL Plus on a 2023 SV Plus.
The 2020 SL+ had 16,000 miles on it and they gave us $32,000 trade allowance against MSRP on new car.
My cars do not have loans so no interest issues with loans.

$38,255 paid MSRP for ‘23 SV Plus
($32,000) Trade Allowance
—————-
$6,255 difference
+$1,779 taxes, tag, title and BS Dealer fees
—————
$8,034 out the door.

After $7,500 federal tax credit it will cost us $534

I initially put $1,000 deposit on a credit card. At closing they only allowed $5,000 on credit card. So total I put 6k on credit card and paid it off next month interest free.

I'm curious as to why you made the switch - was there something significant on the 2023 that you wanted that made it worth going down from an SL, or was it just too good a deal to get a 3-year newer car/battery for only $534? H'mm, maybe I've answered my own question. ;)

GRA said:
I'm curious as to why you made the switch - was their something significant on the 2023 that you wanted that made it worth going down from an SL, or was it just to good a deal to get a 3-year newer car/battery for only $534? H'mm, maybe I've answered my own question. ;)

Yes, you answered correctly. It made sense for only $534.
The car drives the same. The SV has the same important to me technology perks like adaptive cruise with steering assist, auto high beam headlights, LED headlights, Apple CarPlay etc.

The pros;
Fresh battery
fresh warranty
fresh tires,
More comfortable cloth seats vs hard leather
More trunk space without sub woofer
Reduced insurance cost ($100 less per year)

The cons
Dog hair clings to Cloth seats
Cloth arm rests
Slightly reduced radio music quality
No Homelink garage door opener (bought used Nissan mirror with Homelink off eBay for $58)
Have to wait 6 months to get $7,500 tax credit

So now I'm curious as to why you opted for the SL in the first place? Like you I prefer cloth seats, and I'd happily pass on a better sound system (even before I lost all my hearing) to get an unobstructed cargo area.

GRA said:
So now I'm curious as to why you opted for the SL in the first place? Like you I prefer cloth seats, and I'd happily pass on a better sound system (even before I lost all my hearing) to get an unobstructed cargo area.

Reason I went with SL in 2020 was availability. Back then if I found a new 2020 SV Plus with technology package I would have negotiated that deal. But I couldn’t find one.

I negotiated a good deal on the new 2020 SL +. It replaced a totaled 2019 Leaf and the State Farm insurance payout was for $32,614. I bought the 2020 SL plus for $38,000 out the door with all taxes, fees etc or $30,500 after $7,500 tax rebate. So after buying new Leaf I put $2,000 in my pocket.

I’m deaf in one ear and only have 60% hearing in the other. I wear BiCROS hearing aids https://www.hearingtracker.com/hearing-aids/cros-and-bicros and so audio sound system quality is not a factor. It sucks getting old but beats the alternative.

Flyct said:
GRA said:

Reason I went with SL in 2020 was availability. Back then if I found a new 2020 SV Plus with technology package I would have negotiated that deal. But I couldn’t find one.

I negotiated a good deal on the new 2020 SL +. It replaced a totaled 2019 Leaf and the State Farm insurance payout was for $32,614. I bought the 2020 SL plus for $38,000 out the door with all taxes, fees etc or $30,500 after $7,500 tax rebate. So after buying new Leaf I put $2,000 in my pocket.

Makes sense. I wish the companies would build more of the lower trims so they wouldn't continually push people into higher ones, but as the higher trims are more profitable that's unlikely to happen, except when supply is greater than demand.

Flyct said:
I’m deaf in one ear and only have 60% hearing in the other. I wear BiCROS hearing aids https://www.hearingtracker.com/hearing-aids/cros-and-bicros and so audio sound system quality is not a factor. It sucks getting old but beats the alternative.

Way OT, but I can't blame age for my hearing loss as it started 20 or so years ago, although that may be a factor now; it's some combination of heredity (grandfather deaf at 40), bad childhood ear infections (tonsillitis), working in a very noisy job without hearing protection for 20 years or so, and lastly maybe scuba diving, although that may have just added to or accelerated the loss, as I was already wearing hearing aids when I started to dive. I'm about to see if I'm a good candidate for cochlear implants, because aside from loud explosions, poorly-muffled cars and motorcycles accelerating fast, and emergency vehicle sirens (@ no more than 50-100 feet, depending on the wind direction), I now have zero natural hearing left.

Since my hearing is now essentially completely artificial in any case (I've got the most powerful hearing aids they can give me), I might as well see if implants can improve my mediocre artificial hearing to something a bit better. It'd be great if I could listen to music again and both recognize and enjoy it, but I'll settle for less; instead of having to guess at 50-90% of what someone's saying, I'll be happy to only have to guess at 25-50%. Anything better than that I consider a bonus!

I just got a buy back offer for my 2023 SV Plus from the dealer I bought it from 6 weeks ago The reason I requested the offer is I’m looking at buying a Tesla Model Y long rang this month. Tesla reduced prices $3,750 if you take delivery in December. Unprecedented, that have multiple in stock Model Ys from customers who refused delivery this month waiting for possible tax credit after January. They had to do something to not have 4th quarter deliveries fall through the floor.

Here’s the offer:
“Good morning Sir. I just got to work and I was told that the number would be $33,000“

The 2023 cost me $32,554 ($38,255 MSRP + $1.779 in fees, taxes, etc minus $7,500 tax credit)

Flyct said:
Here’s the offer:
“Good morning Sir. I just got to work and I was told that the number would be $33,000“

The 2023 cost me $32,554 ($38,255 MSRP + $1.779 in fees, taxes, etc minus $7,500 tax credit)

You should get online quotes too from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, Driveway, Shift, Carbuyerusa, etc. When I priced my Mach-E a few months ago, it ranged from $41k-$48k.

Flyct said:
Here’s the offer:

What are you waiting for ?

Triggerhappy007 said:
Flyct said:
Here’s the offer:

You should get online quotes too from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, Driveway, Shift, Carbuyerusa, etc. When I priced my Mach-E a few months ago, it ranged from $41k-$48k.

I did Carvana, Vroom, 2 local Nissan dealers and Tesla for trade in. Tesla offered lowest $26,200, Vroom $28,000, 1 local dealer $28,000 and the dealer I bought it from $33,000.

Flyct said:
Here’s the offer:

The 2023 cost me $32,554 ($38,255 MSRP

Without the tax credit, most people would value the used LEAF as not more than 38,225 - 7,500 = 30,725

Something is fishy or undisclosed about the $33k offer, or the dealership is in for a surprise.

SageBrush said:
Flyct said:
Here’s the offer:

What are you waiting for ?

I was waiting for a trade in offer from Tesla which I just received today. Trading in would save me about $2k in sales tax.

WELL Tesla really low balled the trade at $26,200. So the range was $26,200-$33,000.

1) I will call Tesla tomorrow to confirm model Y delivery date.
2) Then I’ll call the Nissan dealer that offered $33k tomorrow and confirm the $33k.buy back offer.
3) Then drive the leaf to them Tuesday and get a check. It doesn’t have a loan so it makes it simple.

Tesla order/delivery system is “unorthodox”. The want money deposited via Tesla APP prior to delivery. I have some questions on their $3,750 discount offer and registration fees that I’ll clear up tomorrow. It’s crazy they want $73k before delivery and send me a check for $3,750 discount and any overpayment for registration fees 6 weeks after delivery.

Tesla changes things up pretty frequently, but fwiw I paid on delivery day each of the two times I bought a Tesla.
Tesla recommended, but did not require, earlier payment. I showed up each time with a bank check.

I Spoke to Tesla. The car is in Georgia on the way to florida. Hopefully it will be here this week

They will redo paperwork to adjust the price down $3750 hopefully within 48 hours. If not done in time they will refund $3975 which includes sales tax

I confirmed $33k buyback from Nissan dealer and I scheduled to drop car off to dealer on Wednesday. They will cut a check on Friday.

Tesla said I can pay for the new car at Delivery using their app to pay directly from savings account or bring a cashiers check.

Flyct said:
Tesla said I can pay for the new car at Delivery using their app to pay directly from savings account or bring a cashiers check.

Wire or bank check, in my experience. I'm pretty sure they will not accept a personal check, regardless of which account it is drawn from.

Back