Propilot and steering

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

We recently moved our SV+ to the stock S+ 16" rims. The steering didn't lighten up like we experience in our S+ (now with EV01+ rims). I am beginning to hypothesize that the augmentation if propilot adds a bit of sluggishness to the steering. My adult children both comment that they only like to drive the S+, as the SV+ feels heavy to drive. The difference is quite noticeable.

We are going to switch tires and rims in a month, so a good time for per post efficiency experiment.

No, even with propilot off the SV+ steering is heavier than the S+. Steering aside, I am now curious to see if flipping the tires/rims in a month flips the efficiency... my hypothesis is that it won't completely. Something else also works in the S+ favor beyond smaller rims/tires.

I have to say the 23 propilot must have better hardware than my 19 propilot. It engages so much faster and can handle situations better with fewer disengagement.

Oddly, I swear my 19 propilot can handle a few sharper freeway turn sections now, when it would bail when I first got the car.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have to say the 23 propilot must have better hardware than my 19 propilot. It engages so much faster and can handle situations better with fewer disengagement.

Oddly, I swear my 19 propilot can handle a few sharper freeway turn sections now, when it would bail when I first got the car.

It's possible those curves had the lines painted better or washed (maybe they were covered in mud and dirt), that aids pro-pilot. I've noticed the same thing when streets were repainted with brighter lines, pro-pilot could engage the second you pressed the button instead of having a delay to "learn" the road conditions. My guess is everyone's pro-pilot after ours (2019, 2020), probably does get better as the learning data fed into them gets better and better.

DougWantsALeaf said:
We recently moved our SV+ to the stock S+ 16" rims. The steering didn't lighten up like we experience in our S+ (now with EV01+ rims). I am beginning to hypothesize that the augmentation if propilot adds a bit of sluggishness to the steering. My adult children both comment that they only like to drive the S+, as the SV+ feels heavy to drive. The difference is quite noticeable.

We are going to switch tires and rims in a month, so a good time for per post efficiency experiment.

Have you checked that the power steering fluid reservoir under the hood is filled up to the mark? You'd assume it would make some noises if it wasn't, but it doesn't in all cases.

Electric power steering on the LEAF is contained in the steering column--no hydraulic pump/reservoir involved.

I don't often use Propilot on my 2019 SL Plus, but test it once in a while. It seems to have been programmed to match the characteristics of the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. The replacement tires I use are much better quality and yield heavier steering feel. Propilot hunts under some conditions now--does not respond quickly enough to keep the car in the lane, then overcorrects until it encroaches on the opposite lane marker, then overcorrects back in the other direction. This continues until I take control to keep the car centered in the lane. It happens under various road conditions. I think the heavier steering feel of the Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires I have now (and the Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat tires I had before) track straighter so the Propilot does not apply enough steering torque to change direction initially and then overshoots in each direction trying to correct itself.

I have crossclimate2s for a few more weeks on my Leaf with PP, so will watch for that when using the system.

If find the steering for both the Energysavers and the crossclimate2s to be heavier than the steering on our S+.

Back