B 'Gear' Not Always Working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

The subject question says it all really. I've had my Leaf for a few months now and got used to using B as a 'slow down / recharge' option during normal driving. However, it seems to not always be working. Is this a typical issue. Is there any fix if so?

The most common situation in which B Mode doesn't work is with a 100% charge. It will start working again as soon as there is "room" in the pack for more energy, if I recall correctly. It will also be greatly reduced in very cold weather. Last, if the battery is very degraded, then B mode doesn't work much, if at all.

gandalftheking said:
Hi all,

The subject question says it all really. I've had my Leaf for a few months now and got used to using B as a 'slow down / recharge' option during normal driving. However, it seems to not always be working. Is this a typical issue. Is there any fix if so?
Not sure the year of your Leaf but the newer ones with one-pedal driving alleviate that with also using the friction brakes when you let off on the gas. Not sure I'd like that but it does help eliminate the scenario you are seeing with a full or mostly full battery. Braking or regen also gets severely restricted when your battery gets old and down several health bars. Our 8-bar(instead of 12) 2012 Leaf rarely had any engine breaking left, maybe around 40% SOC but even then if it's cold like now, I'll basically have nothing, which is sad as the weak battery could use all the help it could get but gets very little regen.
The bubbles along the top of your dash display show you how much regen potential you have, the more bubbles the more the regen you'll get, 100% full and you probably won't have any bubbles and note I'm talking about the older Leafs, not sure if the newer ones still have that display.

Back