Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jjeff said:
Lastly, we almost didn't get it. We reserved it site unseen and believe me it wasn't love at first sight. My daughter really disliked/still does to a degree, the very poor view out of the rearview mirror. Not so much for backing up but just for looking out the rearview mirror when driving forward.
I had a similar experience with the Tesla Model Y. I went into the test drive thinking it was just a formality and ended the test not wanting the car due to rear visibility.

This is why it is a bad idea to drive 1800 miles for a test drive ;)
You are too invested in buying the car

Fwiw though, I now have changed my driving habits in my Tesla Model 3. I leave the rear camera up on the screen all the time and the rear view mirror has lost a lot of its importance. This will of course only work in cars that have a good camera, good display, and ability to leave that view up during driving. One downside though is that the rear facing camera is designed for near view. Objects are much closer than they appear. I still struggle with that adjustment.

jjeff said:
She hasn't really driven it enough in EV mode to really verify if it will achieve it's 29 mile EV range but it may end up more, maybe a bit less on freeway speeds.......
Today we'll be driving it 35 miles across town so it should be a good chance to see exactly how far it will go on a 100% charge, gas all the way home as we won't have an opportunity to plug in once there.......
Kind of another quirk is while the gas cap locks and requires a unlock button to open, not the EV charging door, all you have to do is push that and it pops open. Maybe they figure no one will be stealing your juice out of the J1772 connector? Still, for vandalism I might like it to lock, both gas and charging door and much of the body panels are plastic, not sure how I feel about that.....

Lastly, we almost didn't get it. We reserved it site unseen and believe me it wasn't love at first sight. My daughter really disliked/still does to a degree, the very poor view out of the rearview mirror. Not so much for backing up but just for looking out the rearview mirror when driving forward. Due to the very sloped rear window and placement of the rearview mirror you can hardly see what's behind you, all you really see is the grill of the car behind you, nothing higher up. Note if your a real shorty this might be better because of the angle but for anyone over 5'6"? it can be a real problem if you like looking out the rearview mirror. This was almost a deal-breaker for her. In the end, she started getting a little used to it but I also mentioned we could look for a secondary rearview mirror to mount on the dash, somehow attaching to the back of the extended above the dash infotainment screen. In Europe they(or at least did) place the rearview mirror on the dash, this affords a better view out the back, assuming no one is sitting in the back rear seat in which case you may only see them. Anyone else ever run into this problem on this or another vehicle? I see a similar thing with our Prius but my biggest gripe with our Prius and it's rearview mirror is on more than one occasion I've contemplated ripping it off the window! See it hangs down so low it's a MAJOR blind spot for me, especially for cars coming down a freeway onramp, it totally blocks the car, for me the mirror is really an issue, luckily I don't drive it all that much, mostly on long trips out of town where I don't have to contend with the onramp blind spot. Back in '07 when we bought it new I actually thought of moving the mirror up higher, towards the ceiling to get it more out of my line of site, that or I also thought of moving it to the dash but as we occasionally have 5 people in the Prius, I thought that might be an issue too. Well enough about the mirrors other than to say the Ionic mirror may be an issue for you too, if on the taller side. Not the blind spot issue like our Prius, more a visibility issue for looking through the mirror.
A couple of updates as both the passenger and driver of the car.
Firstly the EV range. Even though only a 29 mile EPA range I'm happy to report that's rather conservative, yesterday on our basically 100% 60+ MPH freeway trip and starting with 100% we were able to make it 33 miles before the remaining miles became 0 and the ICE started, our trip was 35 miles one way so we got very close to it being 100% EV. On a slightly more slower route with side roads my daughter reported 34 miles EV with several miles left(shes not sure of exact number but probably less than 5) which would quite impressive again for a 29 mile EPA range vehicle with a smallish battery, seems to be a very efficient car. Oh and on our 33-mile trip it was pretty loaded, 4 people with coolers and some gear, her trip was alone and probably mostly empty in the car.
J1772 port door update-I'm happy to report the J1772 port door does indeed lock, if you lock the car. All my previous testing had been in a garage with the car unlocked, it didn't dawn on me locking the car would also lock the J1772 door Still no way I can see to not have to hit the door unlock button to remove the J1772 connector once charging has started.
Rearview mirror issues- I searched and searched yesterday but couldn't really find a "dash mount rearview mirror" on Amazon or even Google but I did bring with a smaller sized mirror and things to prop it up on the dash for our short trip. My daughter wasn't really too impressed and said she'd actually gotten used to looking out the side mirrors(no option I can see to leave the rear camera on the screen past the few seconds it remains after backing up like Tesla has) so I'm guessing she's just going to live with it.
She'd still like a subwoofer for more bassy-sounding stereo so I might research into adding a small carpeted subwoofer box to place in the back although I suppose then I'd have to find a source of power to power the speaker and somehow tie into both L&R channels in the back, we'll see, hopefully she'll learn to live with the factory stereo as-is and I won't have to worry about it.
All in all the Ioniq PHEV seems to have a lot going for it, well unless you seriously compare it to a Prius Prime in which case it lacks a few things, of course the Ionic does have the 5yr warranty....although we never really had any issues with our Prius for the first 10 years so there's that. Nice to have choices though and I hope it proves reliable for her. Going off just looks alone I'd chose the Ionic in a heartbeat, I'm not a big fan of the Toyota "angry insect" angular look.

jjeff said:
[Snip]

Lastly, we almost didn't get it. We reserved it site unseen and believe me it wasn't love at first sight. My daughter really disliked/still does to a degree, the very poor view out of the rearview mirror. Not so much for backing up but just for looking out the rearview mirror when driving forward. Due to the very sloped rear window and placement of the rearview mirror you can hardly see what's behind you, all you really see is the grill of the car behind you, nothing higher up. Note if your a real shorty this might be better because of the angle but for anyone over 5'6"? it can be a real problem if you like looking out the rearview mirror. This was almost a deal-breaker for her. In the end, she started getting a little used to it but I also mentioned we could look for a secondary rearview mirror to mount on the dash, somehow attaching to the back of the extended above the dash infotainment screen. In Europe they(or at least did) place the rearview mirror on the dash, this affords a better view out the back, assuming no one is sitting in the back rear seat in which case you may only see them. Anyone else ever run into this problem on this or another vehicle? I see a similar thing with our Prius but my biggest gripe with our Prius and it's rearview mirror is on more than one occasion I've contemplated ripping it off the window! See it hangs down so low it's a MAJOR blind spot for me, especially for cars coming down a freeway onramp, it totally blocks the car, for me the mirror is really an issue, luckily I don't drive it all that much, mostly on long trips out of town where I don't have to contend with the onramp blind spot. Back in '07 when we bought it new I actually thought of moving the mirror up higher, towards the ceiling to get it more out of my line of site, that or I also thought of moving it to the dash but as we occasionally have 5 people in the Prius, I thought that might be an issue too. Well enough about the mirrors other than to say the Ionic mirror may be an issue for you too, if on the taller side. Not the blind spot issue like our Prius, more a visibility issue for looking through the mirror.

Back when I visited the dealer to look at/drive a Niro BEV, I had a brief look at the Ionic (it was an HEV) just to do it. Sat in the driver's seat, saw it had the worst rear vis of any car I've sat in this decade if not this century (can't remember if the Prius, Volt or other cars with flat-sloped rear windows plus a lower window were as bad), and immediately eliminated it from any further consideration. At the time I wrote something like it was similar to looking down a long, narrow tunnel with a wall blocking the bottom two-thirds, and boulders (the head rests) blocking much that was left. I'm 6' but long-legged and short-torsoed and I'm probably spoiled by my Forester, a car which in all its generations has been at or near the top in 360 vis. Still, the Ionic's rear vis was appalling and totally unacceptable to me. I like rear cameras that can work when driving forward, but don't want to be dependent on them.

As to mirror location, my mid-trim Forester XS came with an auto-dimming mirror with electronic compass display, which aside from the annoying light showing it was on, also hung just low enough to block my sight of cars to the right front quarter, especially when exiting downward-sloping curbcuts onto the street. I had to bob and weave like Ali in order to see under/around it. I'd sat in the base model which had a manual mirror, the frame of which extended down maybe 1/2" to 3/4" less than the auto one as it lacked the compass display etc. So I took the car back to the dealer and told them I wanted them to swap out the fancy mirror for the el cheapo manual one without the extra crap. They did it for free, and I've never regretted it. The loss of the compass wasn't a big deal, and manually flipping the lever to dim it is trivial. But then I drive a stick by choice and hate auto-climate control, so I don't feel the need to have the car perform every simple task that I can do without a moment's thought.

While searching https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/inventory-search/vehicles-list?model=Ioniq%20Ev&year=2021 with a Bay Area zip code (there don't seem to be any 2022), it seems there are only Ioniq BEVs 3 in the Bay Area, all the more expensive Limited trim w/an MSRP of $40.5K. If I chaneg to a So Cal zip code (e.g. 90024), there are 4 SE (lower trim) and the rest are Limited.

Too bad this gen 2 has a lousy DC FC rate (is a step backwards from gen 1). It did do fairly well at https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html despite its 170 mile EPA range rating.

First I want to say this was not in any way the fault of the Ionic PHEV, just some unfortunate circumstances and everyone and the car is OK.
So I get a panic call from my daughter, who is the proud owner of a 2021 Ionic, she loves it, about 9 o'clock last night saying her car is on fire :shock: she said the garage where her car was parked was full of smoke and her boyfriend's father was trying to put the fire out with a small fire extinguisher and they had called the fire dept. I'm about 20 minutes away and we hang up and I quickly search the internet for cases of Ionic fires. I did find some reports for earlier models('17 and '18 I believe) where a battery plate came lose causing a bad connection and a couple back seats had caught on fire due to heat buildup. I didn't think that made sense as the car was parked and charging so no big current draw on the battery, besides hers was a 2021. I also saw a few reports again about some of the older Ionics where the rear heated seats could overheat again causing a fire but again as no one was in the car, the rear seats wouldn't be on, Anyway I took off to see what happened, I was also worried about the owner of the house, it was an attached garage.

By the time I got there the fire department had left and they had determined what happened. The car didn't actually catch on fire but rather a 4-wheeler parked next to it, it was a mess, tires all melted, seat melted, plastic melted, I'd guess it was totaled.They also had several plastic gas cans that got melted(thank god they were empty and didn't explode!) along with a few melted plastic coolers and the whole garage white sheetrock and Ionic was covered in a black layer of soot probably from the burning 4-wheeler tires and plastic. What happened should be a lesson to all, although if you are reading this you probably know.
See what happened was someone plugged the cars 120v 12a OEM EVSE into an extension cord, no no #1. Second, the extension cord was probably a 16g cord, no no #2. Third and probably the main cuprate, the extension cord was in one of those roll-up devices, trapping the heat. Of course it didn't help the roll sitting on the flammable seat of the 4-wheeler :oops:

Note this could have happened with any larger current draw device, and probably does but still it was with an EV and EVs are relatively new. A very scary occurrence and luckily, very luckily, they were home and smelled the smoke only to track it down to the garage which by that time was full of thick black smoke. It was also fortunate they didn't try and put the fire out with a hose, a hose with an electric or gas fire only makes matters worse and as there was a live bare hot wire stoking the fire, it could have been deadly.
I personally have a smoke detector in my garage but AFAIK it's not code and I wonder why. A garage probably has one of the highest chances of fire with it's potential gasoline storage and parked hot cars not to mention all the other things that are done in a garage. I also have a fire extinguisher in my garage next to the connecting door but should probably upsize it, it's fairly small. I believe the father had to get their small one from their kitchen and he said it did great putting out the fire but then it started right back up and as it was small, it was empty at that point.

The father wasn't blaming the car and was very apologetic about the whole incident and my daughter's car being covered in soot, it even smelled inside the car even though the windows were rolled up but hopefully that will go away with time. He wasn't really aware of extension cords and gauges. I pointed out to him how to read the gauge on the side of the cord(which can be hard to see) and explained an EVSE should never really be plugged into an extension cord, at least not an adequately sized one and that cord should never be coiled to help with any heat build-up. I also felt bad about the whole thing, again their garage was covered in a thick black layer of smoke, garage floor covered in foam used to fight the fire, 4-wheeler burnt to a crisp, many ruined things etc. I'm just glad someone was home, they caught it early enough to keep it from spreading, especially to the attached house and no one was hurt, it could have been SO much worse than it was.

This morning I purchased him a new battery smoke detector, 10yr 9v Li battery and will probably look for a decent fire extinguisher, that and upsize mine as again it's kind of small. I also tested my garage smoke detector this morning, it worked :)

jjeff said:
I personally have a smoke detector in my garage but AFAIK it's not code and I wonder why. A garage probably has one of the highest chances of fire with it's potential gasoline storage and parked hot cars not to mention all the other things that are done in a garage.

False alarms.

Engine oil absorbs all sorts of unburned crud from the cylinders. When hot, out gases some of this crud. Can trigger a smoke detector. Might work as a "it's time to change the oil" alarm.

This reason might be getting outdated, as EVs don't have an engine.

WetEV said:
jjeff said:
I personally have a smoke detector in my garage but AFAIK it's not code and I wonder why. A garage probably has one of the highest chances of fire with it's potential gasoline storage and parked hot cars not to mention all the other things that are done in a garage.

False alarms.

Engine oil absorbs all sorts of unburned crud from the cylinders. When hot, out gases some of this crud. Can trigger a smoke detector. Might work as a "it's time to change the oil" alarm.

This reason might be getting outdated, as EVs don't have an engine.

Yes ours occasionally goes off when we are grilling outside the back door and the door gets left open and it's breezy out. It's also been known to go off when I used to start our old 2-cycle snowblower in the garage(even with the overhead door open) before going out to blow snow. I now first shovel a small area outside the garage for the snowblower to sit and close the overhead door before starting it. I've also gotten rid of my smokey 2-stroke and got a less smokey 4-stroke but might eventually get an E-blower. A neighbor has a tiny one and it does a surprisingly good job on smaller snowfalls(4" or less) but we get +1' drifts and need to blow the snow 30' and that's a pretty challenging job for a battery, at least for one <$1000. Our snowblower and riding lawnmower are the last dinosaur-burning lawn equipment I have. I love my battery leaf blower(which I use to blow the leaves off our Leafs :D ) and battery trimmer and my most recent purchase a pretty nice 36v battery chainsaw. I know it wouldn't cut down a big tree but for my use, I was glad to get rid of the problem-prone stinky ICE saw I had before.

Back