Newbie Leaf owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbentley

Back in May I purchased a used 2015 with just under 75k miles and 6 bars for a really good price. I don't do a lot of driving (less than 4k miles per year) so the limited range didn't seem like it would be a problem. Since then, I have only put about 2k miles on it since purchasing it and have gone from 40-50ish mile range to now less than 20 (4 bars) and needing to charge each way on my 7 mile commute to work. I took it in to Nissan to start the warranty process only to be told it's not covered under the 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. I was told by the Nissan dealership I took it to that in order to be replaced under the warranty, the battery would have had to "catastrophically fail" within 3 or 4 years. Am I missing something here as I would think that a 2015 would still be covered

The 8 year/100k mile warranty only applied to the later model year Leafs. Any 2015 model Leaf in the US came with a 5 year/60k mile warranty.

If I remember correctly, there was also an 8yr/100k (80K?) mile warranty against manufacturing defects - meaning bad cells only. The pack would have to have one or more cells fail a CVLI test for that to apply.

Sbentley said:
I took it in to Nissan to start the warranty process only to be told it's not covered under the 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. I was told by the Nissan dealership I took it to that in order to be replaced under the warranty, the battery would have had to "catastrophically fail" within 3 or 4 years.
Correct.

8 year/100K miles whichever comes first for defects but NOT capacity loss. Capacity warranty is only 5 years/60K miles on '11 to '15 Leafs and '16 original S.

OP can look at https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/manuals-and-guides/leaf/2015/2015-Nissan-LEAF-warranty-booklet.pdf from https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/ownership/manuals-guides.html

4 bar '15 is the worst I've heard of on that year. Must've got really terrible treatment (high heat and maybe left at 100% most of the time).

Sbentley said:
Back in May I purchased a used 2015 with just under 75k miles and 6 bars for a really good price.
This would have been a great strategy to get a free (via warranty) battery pack replacement...in 2020. I seriously doubt you will quality under the "cell defect" portion of the warranty (almost need to have warning lights in the dash).
Don't shoot the messenger.

As the others have mentioned, you are still covered for defects, so before you go to the dark side and we give you advice on how to "force" that warranty. :twisted:
You might want to consider getting a ODBII wireless blue-tooth for the Leaf, buy a copy of LeafSpy Pro, and start doing some detective work to see if any battery cells "look" like they might be able to "fail" under certain "circumstances" to get warranty. :cool:

Back