Leaf Turns on, Won't Start, Error lights-Help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which version of LeafSpy do you have? Make sure it has the DTC functionality.

The car should be in “on” mode.

Try closing the LeafSpy app then restarting with the OBD active. Alternatively, uplug the OBD for 10 seconds or so then plug back in while LeafSpy is active.

You can send a trace of the app trying to connect to Turbo3, post your problem on the LeafSpy & LeafSpy Pro thread or send Turbo3 a private message.

Hope this gets solved soon.

ydrape said:
Just open a car's door is sufficient to have a Green status. When I go away, the status becomes orange and stay stuck with that color and the number 14 when I go near the car. It seems that your phone doesn't communicate well with the ELM327 reader.

Do you ear a tic, tic from a relay under the hood? I have this sound repetitively in orange mode.

I do hear a tic tic under the hood, it will start to charge (beep, blue lights come on then blink twice then the tic tic).

91040 said:
Which version of LeafSpy do you have? Make sure it has the DTC functionality.

The car should be in “on” mode.

Try closing the LeafSpy app then restarting with the OBD active. Alternatively, uplug the OBD for 10 seconds or so then plug back in while LeafSpy is active.

You can send a trace of the app trying to connect to Turbo3, post your problem on the LeafSpy & LeafSpy Pro thread or send Turbo3 a private message.

Hope this gets solved soon.

I downloaded leaf spy for iphone just 2 weeks ago and it's connecting (somewhat) to my OBD2.

Can you explain more about sending a trace? I'm not familiar with that process, thank you!

cleo82 said:
Can you explain more about sending a trace? I'm not familiar with that process, thank you!

See page 42 of this document.

http://www.leafspypro.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/LeafSpy-Help-1_2_1-iOS.pdf

Good luck!

A week or so ago I had a similar problem. I was L2 charging at a public station, and was waiting in the car. Curious about the charging rate, I went ahead and turned the car on while it was charging. After watching it charge (noting the time between charge percentage increases), I went ahead and unplugged the charger, while the car was still turned on. After getting back in the car, nothing I could think of doing would get me into READY mode; the 'Press Brake' message would not go out no matter what I tried. Turned it off several times, pressed the Start button with and without a foot on the brakes (on different attempts). It was acting as if it didn't detect my foot on the brakes. I even tried holding the Start button down for many seconds (had read that was some sort of emergency shutoff, was hoping for a hard reset).

Eventually I got the idea that it might be because I left the car on when I disconnected the charger. Yes I had done that before with no ill effects. Regardless, I reconnected the charger, turned the car on (as far as it will let you when it's charging), then TURNED IT OFF (while it was still charging). Then disconnected the charger. At that point I was able to get into Ready mode immediately, just as I always have (press Start with foot on brake from OFF state).

Reading the initial post in this thread it looks like the OP may have also disconnected the charger while the car was on, just prior to not being able to get into READY mode. I know that's not *supposed* to cause problems, but I wonder if there isn't some rare combination of conditions that can lead to this 'will not start for no good reason' state.

Hi, after charging my leaf with L2 charger 6kwh I noticed that after unpluging the car would not start normally i.e.engage R or D, after a lot of research here I realized that pressing the start button at the same time as the brakes solves the problem.

I know this post is very old, but I ran across it when I had the same problem. I would press the brake and power button and it would only go into ACC mode. I knew the battery was fine, but I didn’t have time to analyze it before work so I took my partner’s car. When I got home, it took me about ten seconds to figure it out. I popped the charging port and closed it. Got into my car and felt very stupid when I realized the middle charging light was on. I hit the button to turn that off and then the car worked fine. I hope this helps someone out there.

For anyone who stumbles on this post. I had the same issue today. I popped the charge port cover and closed it. It turned on after that.

Hello
I realize this post is 5 years old I am having this problem - my car is a 2014 I live in Portland or

Trying to connect w / Cleo82
Thank you

"... Regardless, I reconnected the charger, turned the car on (as far as it will let you when it's charging), then TURNED IT OFF (while it was still charging). Then disconnected the charger. At that point I was able to get into Ready mode immediately, just as I always have (press Start with foot on brake from OFF state)...."

I know this is an older thread but the above worked for me today. I didn't think it would but I exhausted all other methods up to replacing the 12v battery which was next on this list.

Pj13 said:
"... Regardless, I reconnected the charger, turned the car on (as far as it will let you when it's charging), then TURNED IT OFF (while it was still charging). Then disconnected the charger. At that point I was able to get into Ready mode immediately, just as I always have (press Start with foot on brake from OFF state)...."

I know this is an older thread but the above worked for me today. I didn't think it would but I exhausted all other methods up to replacing the 12v battery which was next on this list.
Glad that helped. And ever since that happened to me, I make sure the car is off before unplugging the EVSE. Have not had a repeat episode of the problem.

Back