We're debating getting our first EV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akuma562

My partner and I are considering using an electric vehicle as our primary commuter vehicle. I travel 50 miles each way five days a week for work. Four times a week, my partner switches shifts and travels roughly the same distance. We had in mind using the EV as frequently as possible to travel to and from work, perhaps even 6-7 times per week.

I'll soon sell my Hilux, which I won't be getting much money for because it wasn't intended to be used in towns three years ago.

Is there any automobile in the same price range that we ought to consider looking at since it might be even better? We don't want to spend too much extra because we are already paying a mortgage and putting solar at our home.

Akuma562 said:
My partner and I are considering using an electric vehicle as our primary commuter vehicle. I travel 50 miles each way five days a week for work. Four times a week, my partner switches shifts and travels roughly the same distance. We had in mind using the EV as frequently as possible to travel to and from work, perhaps even 6-7 times per week.

I'll soon sell my Hilux, which I won't be getting much money for because it wasn't intended to be used in towns three years ago.

Is there any automobile in the same price range that we ought to consider looking at since it might be even better? We don't want to spend too much extra because we are already paying a mortgage and putting solar at our home.

First question, do you have an L2 EVSE installed at your home already? You'll need the 240V connection to do any of what you mentioned.
Second, do you want luxury level or standard level? :lol:

My partner and I are considering using an electric vehicle as our primary commuter vehicle.

That is an ideal use for an EV.

As mentioned above, you will need to charge the battery at home. Nissan includes a portable EVSE with each Leaf. An electrician can install a 50 amp plug in your garage or carport and you can plug the EVSE into it and have level 2 charging. We have a NEMA 14-50 plug.

Electric car charging within electrical code and power outlet limits

The Hilux wass marketed in the US, it was called a Toyota Pickup. Same vehicle, different name. It was discontinued in the US and replaced with the Toyota Tacoma: I don't know if this is the same as the vehicle which continues under the Hilux name in Europe/Aus/NZ. Either way, it's a 3 litre diesel pickup.

Back