LEAF Performance tuning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news everyone! The feature is now released to the latest Leafspy Pro, Android version 0.53.181 :cool:

Here's a how-to video I made on how to use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0v269B0xqo

Dala, I give you credit for at least trying to make that video sexy..ha. Inserting the code page snippets into the video was a nice touch.

7.5s 0-100 in a first gen leaf real world is quite impressive.

Seriously though, I figure you're on the front line of what the future of performance tuning will look like. It's all about electrons and code now!

📣 Performance community, we need e+ CAN-logs! 📣 Currently all 160kW inverter swaps are limited to 400A, which means around 145kW max to the wheels. The e+ LEAF actually can do 180kW, but we haven't figured out what messages is needs to do so. If you have access to an e+ >2019 LEAF, and have the hardware to do a CAN-log of the EV-CAN bus (possible warranty void!), let me know. We need a full throttle run with Leafspy showing that 500A (180kW) was pulled from the battery, while CAN-logging.

Please don't PM me and say that you have an e+ and OBD2 dongle, this is unfortunately a bit more complex than that. We need someone willing to splice into the wiring harness to access the hidden EV-CAN on the e+. You will also need some dedicated CAN hardware to read it (Kvaser, PCAN, etc.) Recently I got a hold of the ZE1 workshop manuals, so here is the place where the ZE1 LEAF has the EV-CAN:

CAN-Layout, EV-CAN marked in red
Js2YCtc.png

One place to splice in would be directly at the VCM, connector E61:
7GfqJ9r.png

Sgc0Brd.png

The person that supplies the CAN-logs will have the most impact on the performance upgrade community by far! Can we make this a community effort? :D

Unfortunately, it's just a matter of time before the IMGUR hosted images disappear. For anyone interested in these performance upgrades, it would be a good idea to download a copy of all of the images

Still no luck with getting 500A, but we are getting there slowly. I got a lot of fault codes cleared now that I know what to send on the bus.

WUESmhM.png

Before code:
ZLAQm2B.png

After code:
O3WGwBK.png

I think that the reason we don't get 500A is due to having fault codes active. If I were writing automotive code, I would put the vehicle in some limp mode when fault codes are active. Let's see if we can get rid of that last U1000!

OKAY! Now we're talking! I made some more progress, just two more codes to squash!
FRrq3gA.png

I will update the inverter code on github once I get the last two ones fixes. The P318E in particular sounds quite bad; "Traction motor inverter is unable to receive the EV system CAN signal from VCM"

Either of the following statuses is observed.
• No impact to vehicle behavior
• Stops drive control of traction motor

So getting that one cleared is now top prio!

I finally got it :cool:

Now the code sends enough CAN messages to make the system believe everything is fine:
1u5PVu3.png

I've updated the inverter code on Github: https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-LEAF-Inverter-Upgrade/blob/main/can-bridge-inverter.c
Warning, that code is r o u g h. I will optimize it later on when I know that it actually gives 500A now.

Now to continue with some error-free roadtesting....

Haven't updated this thread in a while, but I can say that we now have >20 confirmed upgrades, with all different battery pack sizes.

Yes, you read that right, the 160kW upgrade even works on 24kWh LEAFs:
WYIlCqq.jpg

Fuse protection is being built into the upgrade code, now that 24kWh LEAFs are starting to use it :D

Its been a fun week with the upgrade on the 24kwh leaf :) thanks Dala for all your help along the way. The 24kwh pack seems to hold up well, when above 70% SOC i am seeing 352v sag , even on long pulls. All cell balances are perfect , heat on the pack isnt noticable even when doing some repeated driving. Its completely transformed the car, ive had to upgrade to 225 tyres to stop the tyres spinning even at 60kmh. With 225s stomping the pedal at 40-50kmh will still spin both fronts. being a tad lighter than the 40kwh and with aluminium hood and doors it might be a little faster or more prone to wheel spin than other upgrades so far. Ill do a 0-100kmh test when i can get traction, i might need better or wider tyres to avoid spin. Overall performance feels like a stock model 3, if the 180kw code works out maybe quicker :). Its now extremely fun, i plan to lower the ride height soon for better cornering and less lift on acceleration. Id seriously say if 180kw is sorted you will need 255 pilot sports or semi slicks to get traction. Its a little animal now :) i have seen peaks of 155 in leaf spy, not sure how accurate that is, i may also look at a dynow run to see how its performing.

Thank you Dala for all this good info.

Jestronix, good to hear your upgrade report. I'm looking forward to your drag times.

I am interested in upgrading my 110kw inverter to 160kw.

jestronix said:
being a tad lighter than the 40kwh and with aluminium hood and doors it might be a little faster

What is your curb weight now with those modifications? or Weight saved? I've been working on weight savings which I can share here .... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rJ4zl179F5aaagG8hXciIn6FOkBqdHku/view?usp=sharing

Which 225 tire model and size are you running?

Hi,

Curb weight would be an interesting one, i presume 1480 is normal 2014 kerb, japan keep using aluminium on those , but other countries UK built didnt. So i am not sure, aluminium might save 20kg ?

The 225s are a non sport tyre Yokohama Blue Earth GT, they are 255/50/17 so slightly taller than the stock and a lot taller than the 16s . I noticed some torque drop on going taller. I am thinking i might go 235/40/16 and pop coil overs on, should drop weight on the tyres and rims. Duke wheels are heavy !

110, upgrade to the 160kw might be not that big a jump ? your getting 120kw max ? The torque might be interesting ? That curve might be delivered diff in the 160 ?

jestronix said:
your getting 120kw max ?

Thank you, for this info.

I have since recorded some leafspy HV bat runs with my 2018 SV with no powertrain upgrades. I can consistently get 121-124 kw readings (with heater off), from about 20mph to 70mph. My limited test runs did not go faster than that. The leafspy HV bat "max" peaked at 127 and 128 kw on a couple of runs but that was for less than a quarter sec so I don't think that counts.

Has anyone out there done the 110 to 160 inverter upgrade?

Jestronix -- Congrats -- the car sounds super fun. Have you (off public roads, of course) tested the speed limiter with the new inverter? Is it as it was with the 80kW inverter, or did it climb to >90mph? Thanks!!

Some news, the top speed of the LEAF can be increased by changing the cluster to the EU version.

Part number is 24810-4NR0A , this one allows for 161km/h top speed. US clusters are limited to 145km/h top speed.

q3kMYbL.png

This work has inspired me to buy a second leaf haha!

I now have a new daily (2012 fast charge SL) and my old leaf (2011 base).

Both cars have 70k miles and the 2011 is down to about 25 miles of range in the summer. I am thinking that I would like to turn the 2011 into an all out drag race car (gutted, slicks, high drain low capacity LiFePO4, etc). I have a machine shop and own a manufacturing business working in all sorts of materials which will help tremendously.

I don't expect earth shattering performance but it would be awesome to see how far these little cars I have grown to love could go.

To avoid going further off topic I will get to the relevant point: for such a build would you all recommend a 160kw inverter discussed here or some other aftermarket system? This build will not need many of the creature comforts that the most of the builds I have seen retain so I am leaning towards going outside the OEM options like openinverter (I still have a lot of research to do!)

I suppose I am asking about the long term performance ceiling that you think the OEM parts can achieve.

Thanks!

Oh and Dala, if any of your projects need CNC machined parts or custom silicone/polymer parts please feel free to reach out! Thanks for all that you have contributed. We do design and manufacturing in Nevada.

high drain low capacity LiFePO4, etc

I think you may have misread an acronym. The highest output lithium batteries, as far as I know, are the Lithium Polymer batteries, often called "LiPo." LifePo4 chemistry is the safest by far, but also has the lowest energy density in the class. They are used when safety and durability are the primary concerns.

Back