Sono Sion Unveiled, World’s First Production Solar Car – Up To 18 Miles PV Added Range Per Day

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here Are the Results of Our Sion Design Survey

https://sonomotors.com/en/blog/here-are-the-results-of-our-sion-design-survey/

As you know, we are a community-oriented company. That means we try to incorporate feedback from our supporters into our daily work whenever possible. Even though we are well advanced in the development of the Sion, we still wanted to know how the design of the Sion is received by the people out there. After all, small changes are still possible without jeopardizing the schedule or having to change tools.

We, therefore, published two surveys and want to share the results with you today. Our questions were not intended to preview possible updates (e.g. battery, ADAS, etc.). Some of your answers also help us to better understand the market and what our supporters want. They also help us to constantly improve. We received a total of more than 20,000 responses from you - a great resource in developing the best possible Sion.

We have passed on the results directly to our engineers and summarized them for you in this document. We hope you find them as insightful as we do!

There's a link to a pdf in the original above, which has the questions and results. Among the answers, there's a strong preference for hardware buttons for volume control, and somewhat less but still large who want them for HVAC. My kind of people! :D

GCR:
Sono Sion solar-supplemented EV gets range, charging boost with battery upgrade

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ets-range-charging-boost-with-battery-upgrade

. . . The new 54-kilowatt-hour lithium iron phosphate (LFP) pack replaces a 35-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion pack in the Sion. In a press release, Sono said it polled reservation holders (the company claims to have accepted more than 13,000 down payments so far), and over 90% voted for the more powerful battery.

Perhaps that's not surprising. With the new pack, Sono estimates 189 miles of range, up from about 160 miles before. Charging power has also been increased from 50 kilowatts to 75 kw, and the LFP pack has a longer lifespan of about 3,000 charging cycles, according to Sono. . . .

I've long been a fan of LFP for city cars, as it's more heat-tolerant and less likely to suffer thermal runaway, in addition to the cycle life and being a more environmentally benign chemistry. Unfortunately, it also has a lower specific energy and energy density than other li-ion chemistries, which makes it problematic for a longer-range BEV, which is what I need.

ABG:
Sono Motors solar-powered EV hatchback first ride: Here comes the Sion

Boxy, bumpy, budget EV is roomy, quick and gathers some moss — yes, actual moss

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/11/25/sono-motors-sion-solar-car-ridealong-price-features-moss/

. . . Lightyear and Sono Motors also plan to start production on their more conventional solar-powered cars within the next year and have collected tens of thousands of preorders. While the Lightyear 0 sedan and Sono Sion hatchback both have solar panels embedded in their bodies to soak up sunlight and turn it into electricity to charge the cars’ batteries, they dramatically differ in price. The Lightyear 0 starts at about $265,000 (before taxes), while the Sono Sion starts at about $25,000 excluding tax, title, and fees – less than one-tenth of the Lightyear 0’s price.

While Munich-based Sono doesn’t have immediate plans to bring the Sion stateside, the company recently conducted a tour of the U.S. to drum up interest and ink on the car and ring the NASDAQ opening bell to celebrate its November 2021 IPO . . . I spoke with Sono COO Thomas Hausch about the company’s plans. . . .

Bumpy, Bondo-like look

While I haven’t encountered the Lightyear 0 in person, it’s clear from seeing and riding in the Sion why it costs much less. It’s a boxy budget five-door hatch with 456 half-cut solar cells integrated into the exterior, giving it a bumpy, Bondo-like look that may not bother the green-car crowd but will likely trigger disdain among automotive-design aesthetes.

The solar cells generate from 70 miles (in typical weather) to 152 miles per week (in optimal, always sunny) environs, adding to the Sion's range of 190 miles – enough for “full self-sufficiency on short distances,” said Sono. Otherwise, the Sion’s liquid-cooled 54-kWh battery pack can be energized from 0% to 80% in about 35 minutes at a DC fast-charging station. With a Level 2 charger at 240 volts, it takes four hours to reach the same capacity.

Sion sells an 11-kWh wall box home charger with bi-directional capability, allowing the car’s battery to serve as power storage to run a home for up to five days, according to Sono. The car can also be used for portable juice while tailgating, camping or on a construction site or even charge other EVs at up to 11 kW.

Inside the Sion looks and feels like an entry-level electric vehicle but is surprisingly roomy. It has all the interior bits you’d expect, such as a 10-inch dashboard screen. And something you wouldn’t: a thin, dashboard compartment with a transparent cover filled with green moss. The in-dash vegetation is designed to purify interior air and can be replaced with a conventional air filter. But Sono head of PR and communications Christian Scheckenbach, added that it’s really just a “design element.”

The Sion is also quick, at least with Scheckenbach behind the wheel whipping it around a Silicon Valley parking lot during a demo drive – cutting off a pesky Prius that got in the way. Scheckenbach pointed out the dashboard screen displaying in real time how the solar panels charged the battery under the bright California sun.

Next logical steps: U.S. and China

The Sion will be available in Europe the second half of 2023 and can be purchased directly from Sono. “Our business model does not include dealerships, but it does include a service network,” Hausch said. Sono recently announced an agreement with the Europe-wide Bosch Car Service network for repair, servicing, maintenance and warranty work on the Sion.

The company has 20,000-plus reservations that require a minimum €500 deposit (just over $500) and the average deposit is about €2,000 (or $2,000). The company also has more than 22,000 B2B preorders from fleet operators, including for 12,600 Sions from Finn, a German car-subscription service with operations in the U.S.

The Sion will launch as a lefthand-drive model in 10 European markets, excluding countries with righthand drive. “It might take two years to come to the next country,” Hausch said of expansion beyond Europe.

He added Sono considers “the U.S. and China as the next logical steps,” and the second vehicle in its lineup will be a crossover. “We have a C-segment crossover we built on the same platform and is also a last-mile delivery vehicle
,” Hausch said. Sono plans to produce 43,000 vehicles a year using Valmet Automotive, the same Finnish contract auto manufacturer building the Lightyear 0. . . .

For the U.S. market I think they'll need to offer more range as well as a bigger car (they already seem to have realized the latter), so they'll have to replace the LFP pack with one using NMC or NCA, or maybe offer both LFP and the other version, LFP being more suitable for a city/fleet car in daily use.

There's a photo that shows it appears to have a dedicated HVAC control panel using physical buttons, one of my strong preferences. If the CUV's 12"-18" longer (the Sion is 162"), most or all of which is added behind the rear seats, it'll be right in my desired size range. It's not a handsome car, but this is a case of form following function, which is my priority.

Back