Using an electric generator to recharge during work hours

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cgott42 said:
How would the "math" (i.e. miles added) if I went with 2 Delta linked Pros (same 6 kWh) (instead of 3 linked Delta Max)
Please see their specs (at bottom of the page
each Delta Max 2000 - 2016Wh - 6 outlets, 2400W total (Surge 5000W)
each Delta Pro - 3600Wh - 5 outlets, 3600W total (Surge 7200W) (via a 30A AC outlet) https://us.ecoflow.com/products/delta-pro-portable-power-station
I still think this is Rube Goldberg, but...
The advantage of the Delta Pro is that you can combine them (in parallel) to deliver the equivalent of 240v charging (instead of 120v); the Delta Max doesn't have that capability (among other things).
I'm pretty familiar with these things because I plan on buying a Delta Pro for my house and using my EVSE to charge it. Remember, these things (like all Lithium batteries) degrade after a few hundred charge cycles, and they are not meant for (essentially) daily cycling to (essentially) empty.

re: Rube Goldberg
I was told that since I have the original (before Jan ) model Nissan Leaf, that I can't upgrade my battery.
Is that true? Can I simply upgrade the battery? How much would that cost ? Or woudl it require a full battery replacement - and how much would that cost?
Can you send me links to places that I can bring it to to get the battery upgrade (I imagine my dealer woudl be crazy expensive) (NY zip 10952)

cgott42 said:
I was told that since I have the original (before Jan ) model Nissan Leaf, that I can't upgrade my battery.
Is that true? Can I simply upgrade the battery? How much would that cost ? Or woudl it require a full battery replacement - and how much would that cost?
Can you send me links to places that I can bring it to to get the battery upgrade (I imagine my dealer woudl be crazy expensive) (NY zip 10952)
You can upgrade/swap the battery pack in any Leaf...with the right tools.
There are threads in this forum about "full service" battery swaps, but here's an article about my experience (https://www.myeva.org/blog/keeping-your-nissan-leaf). Hint: it costs a lot more than a couple of Delta Pros (but it's a more permanent solution).

Thanks Nice article
Though for me personally If the permanent solution is a LOT more. I’ll go with the temporary solution and it’s worth it if it gives another 3 years

How many miles would 2 delta pros add to my battery if I charge for 6 hours?

Q - They have a feature on the Pro models - where you can combine 2 Pros together and output 220v. (https://us.ecoflow.com/products/double-voltage-hub-ecoflow-delta-pro)

Thus presumably would cut charging time in half.
Is there a relatively easy way to connect the leaf to this?

cgott42 said:

Look here for battery upgrades. It's very possible, It just comes down to how many $$....
Linke: https://nissanleafbatteryreplacement.com/?fbclid=IwAR1hnFJf7FjsLu3f8putj8sZ02XQdT2lUOcy79Y3JBANZLQ1KfVT-2OUqJ0

There is a map you can then search for the nearest place.

Update - I tried it with 1 Delta Max 2kh + 2 add'l batteries (2kh ea.) + a $20 grounding adapter from Amazon) and it added 24 miles!
I think though that I'll switch to the Pro model b/c it allows charging from a EV charger. So when home, I can plug my EV charger into the battery , and connect the LEAF to the battery) and leave it overnight - so that both the batteries and car get charged.

cgott42 said:
Update - I tried it with 1 Delta Max 2kh + 2 add'l batteries (2kh ea.) + a $20 grounding adapter from Amazon) and it added 24 miles!
I think though that I'll switch to the Pro model b/c it allows charging from a EV charger. So when home, I can plug my EV charger into the battery , and connect the LEAF to the battery) and leave it overnight - so that both the batteries and car get charged.

That's sweet. Tell me more. Cost, place u put generator, any pitfalls....

Cost - For the +24 mi Total Cost (with the Delta Max)2khz + 2 batteries and cables, etc) is approx. $3,250 (bought refurbs) (would be less with 1 or 2 batteries)

Concerns
I fit them all in my trunk, However, the problem is that they are heavy - not too heavy - I'm can carry 2 at a time, but they're way too heavy to want to be taking them in the house every day to charge and then back out. So it's a must to have an outdoor outlet so that you can leave them in the car and charge there.

i.e. the big piece remaining to resolve is the overnight charging
If I had one, I would plug the batteries into the AC outlet, and the Leaf into the batteries - and confirm that doing so would provide enough time to charge both overnight. The batteries charge relatively quickly (I didn't time - but I think what they listed on their website seemed reasonable) but still it might not be enough time

I'll have the same Q if I switch to the Pros. The 2 advantages are (a) can link 2 Pros together to provide a 220v outlet - and charge in half the time and make it possible to do overnight (b) I won't have to have an outdoor outlet installed, and can use my car charger to recharge the batteries, and plug the Nissan into that. This would increase my cost by $1k.

Another concern is aesthetics and convenience - I'll have to streamline the plugs so the aren't an eye sore and don't take time.

Pros
re: given that my battery doesn't comfortably make a round trip to / from work. I see my options:
(a) buy a new car with enough range - approx. $15-20k for used - approx. $4-5k for selling mine = $10k - $15k
(b) buy a new battery - approx $13-$15k for 40KHz, (I'm guessing for 24Khz size probably won't have more miles remaining than mine anyway
(c) the EcoFlows - approx. $4k. Another perk is that they have a smart Generator that takes solar or propane for $1k that I can connect to the batteries and have propane generator for long power outages (common in my area). I think a stand alone propane generator is normally $2k. Also, with this I don't feel like I'm investing in an 11 year old car. i.e. I can use these with my next EV, or just resell them

So far I'm excited, we'll see how it goes (I have no affiliation with EcoFlow)
Also - note - their website has a VERY small window to return items, but their ebay listing allow longer.

Battery capacity and energy are measured in kWh (kilowatt-hours which is kilowatts times hours).

KHz refers to frequency, in this case, thousands of cycles per second.

cgott42 said:

I would charge leaf and ecoflow independently instead of this.

When you float the charge with the ecoflow in the middle between leaf and PowerPoint, it would be similar to adding unnecessary charge cycles on also potentially adding wear on components on not just the batteries but things such as the inverter on it if it is net positive charging itself and gets to 100%, and then has to keep running its inverter to continue charging the leaf.
Another reason is charging losses converting from AC wall socket to DC ecoflow battery to AC ecoflow socket/evse input to DC leaf battery. I'd say you'd lost about 50% of the electricity from your wall socket just paying for all these conversions, instead of around 20% loss direct from socket to leaf over the evse.

Back