Leaf not Charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was measuring the voltage levels at the chips outlined above. the NAND gate has 11vdc between VCC and ground. then I plug in my most powerful charger and it blows a AC power fuse, a 56amp thru-hole one on the AC input board. the fuse was good before, but not now. I also remove the bridge rectifier and it has two shorted diodes. not sure if its the root cause or a symptom. I found a new bridge rectifier on some crummy website. cannot find the fuse.

https://ibb.co/VBCN2sZ

ripple4 said:
Can you explain this in more detail? references i can follow up on?
Oops, when I said 882 ohm resistor, I meant a 1.3k resistor that when paralleled with the existing 2.74k, makes a total of 882 ohms.

You have a resistor (d to e) that is 1.30k, so that's good. It connects to what appears to be a MOSFET, e.g. the automotive 2SK1590. Buf if I understand your diagram correctly, it has 3.26V from drain to source, so it's not turning on. That means that the car is not yet in status/state C (see the Control Pilot section of the Wikipedia J1772 page). I'm surprised that the EVSE closes its contactor to provide AC to the charger; do you definitely see AC there, even if for only a minute or so? [ Edit: The half amp of charging that you see might be a measurement artifact of some kind. ]

A lot of your voltage measurements of the control pilot and related signals could well be affected by the 1kHz pilot signal. Does your multimeter have a facility for measuring peak voltages? If so, use that (or use a DSO/CRO) to find what the maximum and minimum values of the CP voltage are with respect to Protective Earth. It should be -12V at the minimum, and +9V when plugged in, and +6V when the car is ready.

But if the problem is that the G16 MOSFET isn't turning on, then things could be pretty simple. The MOSFET might be dead, failed open circuit, or it might not be getting a gate signal. Check the voltage from point b to c (I'm assuming that c is PE). There is a series gate resistor (j to k) and pull-down resistor (i to j). The j to k resistor should be about 10-100 ohms, and the pull down 22k-100k (or a wider range). If point k is staying low (same potential as c), then things get complicated, because some microcontroller is supposed to be pulling that high, if conditions are right for charging.

coulomb said:
ripple4 said:
Can you explain this in more detail? references i can follow up on?
Oops, when I said 882 ohm resistor, I meant a 1.3k resistor that when paralleled with the existing 2.74k, makes a total of 882 ohms.

You have a resistor (d to e) that is 1.30k, so that's good. It connects to what appears to be a MOSFET, e.g. the automotive 2SK1590. Buf if I understand your diagram correctly, it has 3.26V from drain to source, so it's not turning on. That means that the car is not yet in status/state C (see the Control Pilot section of the Wikipedia J1772 page). I'm surprised that the EVSE closes its contactor to provide AC to the charger; do you definitely see AC there, even if for only a minute or so? [ Edit: The half amp of charging that you see might be a measurement artifact of some kind. ]

A lot of your voltage measurements of the control pilot and related signals could well be affected by the 1kHz pilot signal. Does your multimeter have a facility for measuring peak voltages? If so, use that (or use a DSO/CRO) to find what the maximum and minimum values of the CP voltage are with respect to Protective Earth. It should be -12V at the minimum, and +9V when plugged in, and +6V when the car is ready.

But if the problem is that the G16 MOSFET isn't turning on, then things could be pretty simple. The MOSFET might be dead, failed open circuit, or it might not be getting a gate signal. Check the voltage from point b to c (I'm assuming that c is PE). There is a series gate resistor (j to k) and pull-down resistor (i to j). The j to k resistor should be about 10-100 ohms, and the pull down 22k-100k (or a wider range). If point k is staying low (same potential as c), then things get complicated, because some microcontroller is supposed to be pulling that high, if conditions are right for charging.

The G16 device, "MOSFET", can be easily tested (partially) using a VOM set to diode check. Typically a MOSFET (N-channel)
has an internal diode from source (c) to drain (a) with the diode anode on the source. Reversing the meter connections should
not indicate the about .60 volts forward diode voltage. Obviously, this test is done with NO system power. Most likely the best
testing approach is to use an oscilloscope for check for a signal on the gate of the "MOSFET".

I was able to get the car to charge. The quick fix was that I replaced the power converter module on top of the inverter/motor. It was about 4 hours of work. I got an entire EM57 drive unit for $710 (Morris Rose carparts Kalamazoo Mi) and swapped only the power converter. charges great! it has a CHAdeMO plug where the original power converter did not have that, but I've not looked to see if all the wiring lines up, there is a ~10 pin connector on the CHAdeMO plug that I did not immediately see a mate too on the car. my last leaf was a '12 so charging at 32amps/240vac is AWESOME.

Notes are that the junkyard drive unit had a busted battery connector, and the A/C plug was different, but it's really nothing to pop the lid on the converter and swap out the cables, added about an hour.

the goal is to fix the power converter so it's a complete unit, or just sell the inverter/motor/transaxle as it is. very very stoked right now!

Hello everyone, my nissan leaf 2011 model is only charged with chademo. I bought a new onboard charger in my car and the result has not changed. I took the measurements by looking at the videos I watched online and there is no problem. same as a working Nissan Leaf charging port measurement.

-when the car is not running, the small battery in the front shows 12.4 on the multimeter

-The end of the code on the old on board charger was xxxx1A, the end of the code on the new device I bought was xxxx5A. Do you think it could be a software problem?

-Could it be a situation caused by the fuse of the car?

fault codes:

-P3173 00C1 EV/HEV On Board Charger Sys EVC-236

-B29C1 236C

Sboylu said:
Hello everyone, my nissan leaf 2011 model is only charged with chademo. I bought a new onboard charger in my car and the result has not changed. I took the measurements by looking at the videos I watched online and there is no problem. same as a working Nissan Leaf charging port measurement.

Sboylu, I don't know if I can help but my 2012 has the same symptoms. I found the correct resistance on the pilot to ground, so I don' t think the diode is at fault here. But my car measured no voltage on the proximity pin vs. ground.

I have the same codes, but also:

B2802 2368 CHARGER Q/CHG Isolation Sig Err VC-56

Like yours, Chademo works fine, but no J1772 charging, either level 1 or level 2.

Going to get a professional estimate today.

Back