Real degradation 2020 SL+

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
I wonder if Nissan had put a small fan to circulate air inside the pack to better equalize temps between cells if it would have improved the overall passive cooling.

A brief mention from a very well respected dealer that the Plus would get a fan but that died quickly with no confirmation. My survey of techs says no active cooling OF ANY KIND

Flyct said:
Looking at LeafSpy Dropbox download file my 2020 SL+ is loosing 1% capacity every 4 months or about 3%/ year. It seems to be more calendar related vs miles driven related.

12/18/20 SOH was 98.95%
01/24/22 SOH was 95.51%

What are others experiencing?

The Gen 2 BMS went thru a complete overhaul and I suspect its due to the revelations LEAF Spy provided us that we were never meant to see. Unlike Gen one versions; you will notice two events.

**A very slow decline for 3 months

** An "adjustment" which can see a drop (quite large comparatively speaking) a rise (which is not actually possible BTW) or nothing.

If you recall; there were several theories running about on what was good or bad for the battery and most were based on the immediate changes we saw on LEAF Spy. We would see ups and downs several times a month. Gen 2 does NOT go up except during an adjustment. IOW; its more realistic to how a battery actually works so did Nissan get better?

Doubtful. The previous ups and downs had more to do with the difficulty of measuring capacity and a partially due to not spending a lot of money on the equipment to measure it. Nissan simply programmed the noise out.

So why does the values go up? Is it possible that the previous adjustment was way off and new data has forced an upward correction? Considering these adjustments only happen 4 times a year, that conclusion is not very likely. So inject your theory here.

As far as what to expect?

8-12% loss the first 2 years or so, with 1-2% a year after that. Beyond that, we have little data but we do have a handful of bar losers, all 40 kwh'ers.

Some were dramatic. One in Palm Springs lost his at 29k, one in Phoenix lost his at just under 40K. The others were 90,000 miles plus. We do have several over 100,000 miles who have not lost their first yet.

Hi all. Have been following this thread from Europe to get an early idea of what to expect with degradation on the equivalent UK/Irl model of your SL+ which is the LEAF e+ SVE (62kWh). I am posting my SOH stats as below. The car was acquired in April 2021 and a demo car for the three months previous with heavy use of the garage's 50kW charger and 15k km on the odometer as a commuter car during that time as a demo car. It seems as a result that the SOH suffered as a result but over time it has improved since in my ownership with keeping it consistently in the 40-80% spectrum with occasional full slow charges, the odd fast charge on journeys, and occasional motorway journeys that drain it to 5-15% from full.

SOH (%) DD/MM/YYYY HX KM
91.67 02/02/2022 116.07 21,767
90.30 02/05/2022 115.53 24,344
90.22 07/06/2022 115.15 25,640
91.42 15/08/2022 114.52 27,709
92.38 09/11/2022 114.75 30,749

76 QC 533 L1/L2 now

Can see that while the HX is more consistently showing calendar decline, the SOH rebounded a little after automatic readjustments. Overall, it is a very solid and reliable car with plenty power, but am keeping a look out for Model 3 prices just for the sportier ride and the faster CCS charging. That said, Chademo coverage is very good in Ireland through the state-supplied charging network.

Your Hx looks really good. When was your car built(month/year)?

My 2 2019 Plus Leafs are at 90.6% and 92.3% SoH with 20-22k miles each. Medium about of DC charging. Pretty good discipline in keeping car between 20 and 80%.

Back