Advice after front end accident

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacobislky

Newbie here. I tried searching and didn’t see a relevant thread. I had a front end collision with my 2018 Leaf a few days ago. Significant enough that airbag deployed, leaking fluid in front, car wouldn’t turn off, had to be towed. Haven’t had insurance inspection yet - my question is: what should I be asking/checking/be wary of when I hear from insurance claims adjuster and repair shop? I am not sure how much experience they have with EVs, though I did my best to check out shop. Thanks!

Jacobilsky: Sorry to hear about your accident on such a new car.

Can you post photos? The visual will help. Also, post your location in your signature. Someone in your area/region might have first-hand experience with Leaf body/mech repair.

Good luck!

No idea where you are, but if your car ends up being totaled, it may be worth buying the wreck from your insurer to recover the battery. Someone on this forum would definitely pay you $5-8k for the pack.

Thanks for replies. I am in Montgomery County, Maryland. I was too rattled to take photos at scene, and car was towed away before I thought to.

LeftieBiker said:
Don't let a repair shop use a paint baking room to dry the paint! That will cook the battery as well. Good luck!

:shock:

Hmm. Another reason not to go to a body shop that isn't set up to handle full-electric vehicles.

If airbags deployed it likely will be totaled. My 2020 SL+ was totaled two years ago. I collected under Collision coverage since the other driver was at fault and was uninsured. 6 months later State Farm was able to collect my deductible from the other driver.

My company, State Farm, was very generous. Our car was paid for without a loan. They reimbursed us enough to purchase a new 2020 SL+ that didn’t cost us anything. In fact we came out $2,000 ahead after factoring in the $7,500 federal tax credit.

2023 model years are now being shipped. We just traded in our 2020 SL+ on a 2023 SV+. After factoring in tax credit it cost us less than $500 plus our trade.

Jacobislky said:
Newbie here. I tried searching and didn’t see a relevant thread. I had a front end collision with my 2018 Leaf a few days ago. Significant enough that airbag deployed, leaking fluid in front, car wouldn’t turn off, had to be towed. Haven’t had insurance inspection yet - my question is: what should I be asking/checking/be wary of when I hear from insurance claims adjuster and repair shop? I am not sure how much experience they have with EVs, though I did my best to check out shop. Thanks!

So you weren't able to turn it off and it was towed off while still "on" in drive mode? Did the tow service even use the emergency disconnect for the battery pack? Otherwise, the battery has been sitting for a long time completely depleted, which can really kill the re-sale value and capacity should you go that route of re-selling. :cry:

The biggest thing I would say is to make sure you have the vehicle repaired at a Nissan dealership rather than at some body shop. I'd hate to leave it to chance with just any repair shop that doesn't normally work on EVs. The other reason is that Nissan should be able to stand behind the work done if your vehicle should need warranty work after the repairs are complete. I can see a Nissan dealership refusing warranty work because a 3rd party repaired the vehicle. Hopefully it's not a total loss.

Back