Leaf wheel size change

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xafalcon

I am upgrading my 2015 from 16" wheels to 17" wheels. The diameter of the new tyre is approx 1" greater, so rolling distance per rpm will increase. Do I need to update the car to keep the speedo reading correctly?

TIA

Thanks. I thought there might be a setting somewhere in the leaf itself or in Leafspy to update the wheel size

If the tire diameter changes, the speedometer will not be accurate. 16 versus 17 inches is the rim diameter, not the tire outside diameter. The tire diameter is the rim diameter plus twice the width times the aspect ratio. Of course you need to convert the mm width to inches or the inch rim diameter to mm.

Hmm. My own speedometer appears to read high, compared to the speed indication I get on my GPS.

(And I have pulled out the GPS, so that I can use it in my rental, as needed, albeit without the traffic alerts, since I didn't pull the power cable, which is where the traffic report receiver is located.)

Why is it that Nissan Leaf and Versa dashboards are completely free of any surfaces that can support a suction-mount? It's not a big deal on my Leaf, where I fabricated a custom on-dash mount, but I got no place to put it in my rental (a Versa), other than on the seat.

RNeil said:
If the tire diameter changes, the speedometer will not be accurate. 16 versus 17 inches is the rim diameter, not the tire outside diameter. The tire diameter is the rim diameter plus twice the width times the aspect ratio. Of course you need to convert the mm width to inches or the inch rim diameter to mm.

As I noted in my post, the 17" tyre diameter is approx 1" taller than the 16" tyre. It's just coincidence that the rim diameter also increased by 1". Sorry if my post wasn't entirely clear on this

In days gone by, a new speedo drive gear would be installed for different tyre diameters and rear end gear ratios. I just assumed there would be an electronic version of this adjustment. It's not like changing wheel and tyre sizes is a thing of the past

I might contact Jim Pollock and see if he could add this useful function to Leafspy Pro

I like my speedo to be correct

Back