Carplay Issues (connecting, static/crackling sound)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.... at first they tried charging me $170 for applying the update, and after I protested they came back later to tell me it'll take six hours to apply the update. I think they're trying really hard to avoid doing it.

sirfergy said:
Well.... at first they tried charging me $170 for applying the update, and after I protested they came back later to tell me it'll take six hours to apply the update. I think they're trying really hard to avoid doing it.

Oh no! I'm sorry for jinxing it! Come to think of it, the dealership guy tried to sell me the 15000 mile maintenance package and when I said "no I only would like the software upload" it all went downhill from there... Go figure!

Now they're telling me it'll take so long the only tech who can work on the car won't be able to finish before the end of his day and to bring the car back another day. :(

They called to tell me they won’t be able to finish today, I pressed them to try and five minutes later they called back saying they’ll be able to finish. Just picked up the car, and so far it seems to work!

Can you share what they listed on the service request as to what they did? Any details would be awesome! Hopefully so we can get around this nonsense...

For those of you that had the update, have you noticed the head unit is less stable? Mine has randomly rebooted and CarPlay doesn’t reliably start anymore.

Just got my update today. So far so good. Made a few calls with no static. CarPlay starts up each time I plug in my phone. Very happy Nissan fixed this issue. Hope good results continue. Highly recommend everyone having issues goes and gets this done. Any chance Nissan will push this update OTA? Would save a lot of folks time and effort.

Has anyone need able to get this update in one of the dealers in San Diego / North County area? The one I called (Oceanside) a while back was clueless so I decided to wait for them to figure this out and not waste time. Wondering if any other dealership is able to do it already.

It’s weird that it needs you to go to the dealer considering the head unit can check for updates over WiFi.

sirfergy said:
It’s weird that it needs you to go to the dealer considering the head unit can check for updates over WiFi.

Totally agreed. Wish it could be done OTA but in all honesty, none of the car makers other than Tesla seem to have mastered the OTA updates. Leave aside OTA, some of the dealership update experience I've read about has been pretty bad.

The dealer I called suggested this update would take 6 hours and possibly an overnight stay. He said they would first diagnose the problem, search for solution and download the fix if its available and apply etc etc. I told him the specific NIssan code they need to look for and get the fix which is now widely understood to fix the CarPlay issue but he would not commit to doing anything before I check my car in...

Dealer in Houston did it in about 2 hours, probably took them 30 min to actually apply the update.

The call static issues is still gone, but the CarPlay connection issue is only partially fixed. It does connect more consistently, but I do still have issues where it will not connect. I'm guessing it works 70% of the time. The issue needs to be completely fixed.

One thing that helps (very hacky) is to reboot the infotainment system. Press and hold the radio power button for ~15 seconds and it should reboot. Usually this causes CarPlay to start, but not always.

Back