How to get extended warranty refund from Jim Bones Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oko

Hi all,

I made the mistake of buying extended warranty from Jim Bones Nissan. I traded in my Leaf, but cannot get a refund. I called various times, complained to Nissan corporate (who did not help at all), opened a BBB complaint (they did not even respond).

If you call them, they ask "did you buy it on the internet". If you say "yes", they connect you to a voice mail and they never respond.
In the end, I called the finance department. They sent a form, I filled out and sent, but they never replied.
If I call, they say the very classic lie "your check is in the mail". This was months ago.
Opened two cases with Nissan Corporate. They say "these are independent dealer. We can't do anything".
Opened BBB complaint, and they never responded.

Will attorney general of CA help? Any other ideas?

The $64K question is "Do you qualify for a refund on the warranty?" What was the situation? Did the paperwork say that it's refundable within X number of months?

I bought one of those almost a decade ago, because lease extensions had run the 36K warranty out. It was cheap then, though. It was called something like Gold Preferred Plus, and it was a Nissan warranty. But what is the refund policy on these...?

Yes, this is official Nissan warranty, contract says I am entitled to prorated refund at any time. Nissan corporate already processed the refund and sent it to the dealer (Nissan says that). But the dealer just cashed the check and never sent it to me.

I asked Nissan corporate why they did not send the check to me. They said "this is how it works. Dealer does the processing".

It is funny that when another Nissan dealer ripped me off years ago (they charged me $180 for some work never done, because they did not have a Leaf tech), Nissan corporate immediately sent me a gift card for $250 and apologized. In this case, Nissan corporate refuses to do anything, other than "opening a ticket" that goes nowhere.

These two things completely changed my mind about Nissan. I am not planning to own any more Nissans (and I know, that will be a huge loss for Nissan! :)).

If they are local just go there with the proof that Nissan sent them the refund check and don’t leave until they cut you a check. If they refuse let them know you’re going to file a complaint with the States Attorney office. Call the Sate Attorney office from their showroom giving them the name of the General Manager, sales manager etc. do it so they can hear you.

It will be fun. Worst case they call the police to have you removed. That’s even more fun as police will document your complaint.

If you are unable then definitely contact State attorney office and file a complaint. Have documentation available.

Flyct said:
If they are local just go there with the proof that Nissan sent them the refund check and don’t leave until they cut you a check. If they refuse let them know you’re going to file a complaint with the States Attorney office. Call the Sate Attorney office from their showroom giving them the name of the General Manager, sales manager etc. do it so they can hear you.

It will be fun. Worst case they call the police to have you removed. That’s even more fun as police will document your complaint.

If you are unable then definitely contact State attorney office and file a complaint. Have documentation available.

Thanks Flyct for the suggestion. They are 1500 miles away, and I am not really kind of person who could do that. I am an extreme introvert.

But I'll file with state attorney general. It is really sad that they could do this without any consequences.

The good news is that you have the necessary evidence that they cashed your refund check. If they want to claim that they gave you it in cash, then that raises the question "Why in hell did they do it that way?" They would have wanted a way to prove that they gave you the money, to prevent, ironically, this.

FWIW, I do recall https://www.jimbonenissan.com/ long ago selling Leaf extended warranties for pretty cheap. I considered one from them when nearing when my used Leaf's 3 year/36K warranty was going to expire, but I ended up not bothering.

They were official Nissan ones and you didn't have to physically go there.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I opened a CA attorney general case against them and they sent me the check in a week!!!

Wow! I thought attorney generals do something only when lots of people complain for a specific company. Or maybe lots of people complained for Jim Bones, who knows!

Anyway, after almost 2 years, the problem was solved in a week. Thank you CA attorney general!

My last words are for Nissan corporate. I am very disappointed in you. You did nothing to help me. Years ago when another dealer acted as if they did maintenance work for my Leaf and charged me $190 for it, you immediately apologized and sent me $250 gift card (I am sure they took it from the dealer, who had no certified technician for Leaf). In this case, the dealer cashed your own check, did not send it to me, and you did nothing! I had 3 electric/hybrid cars since then and none of them was Nissan (I know you wouldn't care anyway).

Back