Leafs beat Telsas in daily efficiency

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things that I loved about our 2013 Leaf was the way that it rewarded efficient driving. For the vehicles to become dominant, we will continue to see lower efficiency and bigger battery packs to allow thoughtless driving. However, I will always have those early days, wondering how to squeeze a couple more miles out of a charge :)

The Teslas, pickups, RVs coming and other vehicles are the wave of the future and we will probably be closer to 3 miles/kWh than 4. There will always be hypermilers though.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Lots of factors obviously, but happy to see Leafs take the win.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-less-efficient-than-nissan-leaf-analysis/

Being a Leaf owner myself, I would be bias and cheer, but I thought the Model 3, being smaller, would take that, I am surprised but will have to read the research to come to a better conclusion. :eek:

After reading over the article and data, it looks to be more about the "drivers" of the EV and not the EV itself. So the title is a little click-bate I suppose. :lol:

A more accurate study would measure charging energy from the wall along with odometer readings instead of taking the car's estimates of charging and driving energy. Using energy from the wall includes vampire losses (energy used while parked) along with HVAC and battery thermal management energy use while parked, driving, and charging.

The methodology used for that study basically makes it worthless. I reset the dashboard energy efficiency and trip meters each time I charge. All three LEAFs (2011, 2015, and 2019) display(ed) higher miles/kWh on the dash than what I measure(d) and calculate(d) from the wall. The 2019 is more accurate than the 2015 was while the 2011 was the most optimistic (4 miles/kWh on dash was about 3 miles/kWh wall-to-wheels on the 2011). My last charge cycle on the 2019 had a dash display of 3.5 miles/kWh while actual wall-to-wheels efficiency was 3.11 miles/kWh. I suspect cars with active battery thermal management systems (regardless of manufacturer) would have even more difference between displayed efficiency and actual wall-to-wheels efficiency.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.

I read the comments with amusement... Boys shouting their toys.

I drive a 2011 Leaf and get about 3.3 miles (UK) / kWh. If I wring it's neck it has about the same performance as a VW Golf (Rabbit) TDi but the fuel costs are about 1/4. It does everything I need and saves me so much on gas I can afford to keep a 26 y.o. juicer as a backup/RV/holiday car at no extra cost beyond the petrol (gas). (And also saving the carbon emisions of scrapping and remanufacturing it.) The Leaf is on the original battery, still has 75% of its original capacity and cost a fraction of the cheapest Tesla I could buy in the UK at that time. When the time comes I can fit a 40kW battery for about £7,000. Due to leaving Europe, covid and our disasterous government it is now worth more than I paid for it 5 years ago. I have driven a 2016 Model S with dual motor and extended range battery. The owner, a UK national working in Luxembourg, paid £66,000 for it. :shock: It was not nice to drive but I did like the heated seats. :lol: The autopilot failed to detect three pedestrians in the road with the sun behind them and on a narrow country road with no white lines it kept trying to run onto the grass to avoid oncoming vehicles. I also strained my neck getting out due to the high seat and low roof rail.

The Leaf is easier to get in and out of, there are a lot less distractions and the cabin is nicer to be in.

Oh yes! It cost £6,500 cash.

p.s. At this time (Nov 2020) the lowest price 2014 Model S is £22,500 and a 2020 Model 3 is £31,999 (Autotrader)

Back